“Rude, unhelpful and sour faced madam..”

Central Stores Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We nipped in to this cafe for a takeaway tea. The sour faced woman took my order and my tea arrived. I noticed that milk had been added, I politely told her l'd've like to add my own as l
like my tea very strong. She snipped that I couldn't take the milk away, l smiled and said I just wanted to add a drop..
She summoned one of her waitresses and told them to add another bag in....great (not)
I pointed at the sign for Cream Teas and ordered two scones, when they arrived, I asked if the cream etc was inside the bag. She sighed and told me that wasn't what I asked for. She then pointed to a sign like a 'deal'...which included scones with tea. Again l smiled and apologized I hadn't seen this sign.
She priced up my order...her face was cold and very unfriendly. But if she'd pointed this out to me when l first ordered... it would've saved the extremely unpleasant atmosphere she created.
I'm the customer standing in front of everyone whilst she makes me feel very uncomfortable.

The waitress then came over to ask...."Do you want your scones defrosting!!"?

Ha ha ...yes please, l choose not to gnaw on frozen food !!
Finally to add insult to this charade, the tea bags were left in our drinks !!
What a shambles, she even undercharged me !!
Sullen and totally lacking in any idea of how to treat the general public. She needs to greet her PAYING customers with a smile and welcome them warmly...there are many, many places in Devon to enjoy cream teas, choose any one of them but avoid this one at all costs.

5  Thank Melanie B
Jillarry, Owner at Central Stores Coffee Shop, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

We would like to thank you for your review. We are so sorry that you had an unfortunate experience whilst visiting our establishment but sincerely hope that you enjoyed your stay in Devon. Perhaps now that you have had the "cream tea" experience. We really hope you enjoy your next visit to Devon. When you telephoned your complaint through it would have been nice to have been given the opportunity to respond before your termination of the call.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a weird experience at the Union Inn (see my review of the Union Inn) we decided to check out this little diner style coffee shop with our two children.
The staff were very efficient, welcoming and friendly. We had drinks, toasties, pasties, english breakfast for lunch and some bakes afterwards. They were all nice, fresh and tasty. Yes, we're not talking about gourmet-level food here, but we walked inside aware of the fact that this is a cafe after all and they had great variety as well as flexibility to customize their menu options according to our preferences. I noticed that at the till they asked every customer if everything was OK, which I take as a sign of being open to input and criticism.
All in all, a nice, relaxed, welcoming, uncomplicated lunch experience in a beautiful part of Dartmoor. Well recommended.

Thank you very much for your lovely, positive review, it is much appreciated. We sincerely hope that we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Coffee was very poor - ordered black coffee and received white and when I queried wss told "well I made it now". Sandwich was fine but nothing special and "toasted" cheese was just a lump of cheese raw in middle and lightly singed on outside. To cap it all when bill came I was charged for the black coffee I never received as well as the white one which I didn't order! I will not return.

6  Thank Phil C

Thank you for your review and we are so sorry that our service was not up to your expectation. We pride ourselves on both our food and service. I have in fact taken this matter further but unfortunately no member of staff can remember the incident, so I can only apologise on their behalf. However, if you had brought the matter to the attention of management, I am sure it would have been resolved instantly. I trust that you refused to pay for the additional coffee which you did not receive.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

whist visting mortonhampstead we decided to take all day breakfast,whilst being busy we took a table that had not been cleared only to be told by a short rude south- african cook/staff that we could,nt sit down and he promptly when,t outside and asked some other people if they would like to sit on the table we were going to lunch at, how rude ..will not be visiting mortonhampstead again...if this is a freindly welcome you can keep it

4  Thank mark s

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry that you have decided not to visit Moretonhampstead again due to this unfortunate incident. Our town has so much to offer with many places of interest and lots to see and do. Go on, give it another chance, you will not be sorry!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great little venue. We had all day breakfast and a pot of tea. Great sausages, lovely bacon, all freshly cooked and well presented. All the staff were polite, attentive and friendly and even produced a treat for our collie dog (who was sitting quietly under the table). They also produce lovely bakery goods to eat in or take out. We will definitely be going back again.

Thank you so much for your lovely, positive review. We pride ourselves on our freshly prepared food and bakery goods. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. PS- Don't forget to bring the dog too!!