“Maybe my expectations were too high”
Review of The Horse

The Horse
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We went to this pub as we had seen the good reviews on trip advisor so I had high hopes. When we arrived we had booked a table in the bar but the staff had sat other people there so there was a rather awkward moment when they asked them to move. We weren't served for a long time so got our own drinks from the bar, I had a red wine which was very good. Unfortunately there were two children running around the pub being noisy- I think they were one of the staffs children. I wouldn't have minded too much but it was gone 8pm so I didn't expect young children to be running around. They then started crawling under our table until abet of staff told them not to.
We both had pizzas as we had heard they were very good but we were very dissappointed as they were dry and a bit tasteless, and the bases were so thin they crumbled when you picked up a piece. Also the service was very slow- we went to the bar to pay in the end.
The decor is a bit tatty and the pub bit is very much a 'locals' pub so the atmosphere wasn't particularly welcoming.
Maybe if we'd sat in the restaurant part it may have been nicer but I won't be returning.

1  Thank Interrailed2007

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very tasty, simple and straightforward, and nicely presented. Battered fried fish was wonderful - shame that so much salt had been scattered over the chips though. I like to be the one in control of my salt levels [taste, not health reasons], and if a chip is well cooked, from a tasty 'tato, it's my view that it doesn't need too much salt.
(I always fight to restrain the hands of those in fish & chip bars who want to plaster an otherwise delicious platter with salt AND that ghastly vinegar stuff.)

Wife's prawn dish also was over-salted.

Otherwise would heartily recommend.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

After a perfect morning walking, we three - self, husband and dog fell into The White Horse. The menu with a superb choice tempted us to have two pizzas but we were hard pressed to choose as so many of the dishes appealed to us.

The menu is just the right size to offer something for everyone but succeeds in giving the correct impression that everything will be freshly made.

When the pizzas arrived they looked huge, but with the thinnest crisp bases, the freshest, most flavoursome toppings we managed the lot without feeling 'stuffed' in the slightest, just extremely satisfied.

The meal was finished off by a typical Italian dessert - Affogato - home made tasting vanilla ice cream with an espresso coffee on the side; sheer heaven and definitely a need for two spoons to share.

It was only our second visit but left us hunting for new walks to explore locally to give us the excuse to visit the White Horse more often.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stopped here on a whim and while it initially appears to be just your usual cosy small town pub the food is stunning. Can highly recommend the salt beef bagel. Lovely cut of beef, cooked perfectly, presented in a fun quirky manner. Definitely detouring here again in the future!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stopped here on Easter Sunday on a half-way walk point. Good local beer, very family friendly pub with kids helping themselves to a big box of toys. Although we just had bagels/rye bread sandwich and chips they were very generous portions and beautifully presented. Leaving to continue in the rain was a hard decision! One to stop at again when out on the moor