“Sadly only average...and lacking in smiles!”
Review of Route 303

Route 303
Ranked #61 of 75 Restaurants in Honiton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: ex14 9nd postcode
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is local to where we live and pass it daily on the school run. I'd agree with others who've commented on the lack of smiles. The first guy that served us was lovely but it all went down hill from there. We had a different server each time. The girl was so miserable!

Anyway the good is ok. If you have been driving a long way it's worth a stop but I probably wouldn't go there again as there are definitely better places close by where the staff do actually smile!

1  Thank Ju713t
There are newer reviews for Route 303

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Food was fairly good, i had ribs and there wasnt much meat on there. My boyfriend had a bacon burger and the bacon was so crispy he couldnt chew it. We then had the 'snow on mountins' desert and the profiterols were rock solid! Left half of it. The service was crap to be fair! We had different waitresses but none of them smiled. Not even a little. Except the american lady, she didnt serve us but i could see from others that she was lovely. She was dancing with customers and was a delight to be around!!
Not somewhere i would recommened to friends and family!.

3  Thank Leah_holly
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went out of our way to visit this place with the grandkids.
We went last year on our way to Devon and were amazed with place, great atmosphere, food was great and plenty of it.
So much better than those horrible Little Chefs that were the only place to eat on the 303.
Only gripe was with the waitress, unlike the American waitresses who are always so cheerful, our was as miserable as sin. Obviously they need some in house training.
But overall a great place to stop.

2  Thank n1uny
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Stop off here for a quick lunch en route to bude.
Food was good and the service quick.
A far better option than the usual little chef junk

2  Thank Ian and Dawn N
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've been thinking about visiting this place for a while now, given that I only live a few miles away, and finally got around to visiting with my two young boys today. I'm fortunate enough to have travelled to the States and visited a few diners and restaurants, so I was looking forward to the typical American diner experience: great atmosphere; great food, and; great service.

The restaurant is nicely decorated, and well themed. I particularly like the big Harley in pride of place!

Sadly though, the staff seemed somewhat miserable. I'm not sure we got a smile from any of them. We were served by several different staff members - not quite the American diner experience where a waitress will welcome you, and look after you throughout your meal.

We ordered cheeseburgers from the children's menu for the boys, and I went for the chilli cheese burger. I also ordered a side of onion rings, which never appeared.

The children's meals were huuuuge! Basically, exactly the same as the adult meal without the coleslaw and salad. I'm not normally one to complain about getting a decent portion size, but I hate food wastage and these were ridiculous. My boys (7 and 5) were just too intimidated by it to get stuck in.

The worst part of all though was the burger itself. In America you get 100% pure, good quality beef, cooked to your preference. I don't know what our burgers were, but they definitely weren't real beef. They looked red in colour, but weren't served medium. Beef, as we all know, is brown when cooked. These burgers were the type you might expect to get served from a wagon at a fairground. Probably, more mechanically recovered turkey and (dare I say it) horse, than real beef. And of course, it didn't taste like beef either.

No ketchup in the bottle on the table. No staff coming back to check everything was OK. No offer of dessert. No chance to get my missing onion rings.

In the end I walked up to the till to pay, and made sure I wasn't being charged for food that wasn't delivered. I got no decent apology, so I left no tip.

I'm not massively fussy at restaurants, and I will put up with and forgive a lot. I'm afraid I won't be going back to Route 303 though - too disappointing.

Burgers are not something that's difficult to get right. If you're in the area, and after a burger, detour through Chard and get a gourmet burger at Wetherspoons; similar price, but much much higher quality food featuring real beef and tasty sauces. Staff are usually pretty friendly too.

1  Thank Day-V-Boy