“Another lovely evening”

Ranked #11 of 75 Restaurants in Honiton
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: You are welcome to The Honiton Wine Bar for a sundowner glass of wine, or a four course dinner. The old building has a unique atmosphere, friendly and happy staff who really care about your experience. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our menu changes frequently and special menus each week for Fish Fridays. There are special steak nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a special curry night on Wednesdays. Our main menu runs alongside all our specials.There is a wonderful selection of wine, with three whites, three reds and two rose wines by the glass. We welcome special occasion dinners and love to help to make your evening memorable.Our food is sourced from local suppliers whenever possible, our West Country Steaks are stunning. We serve tap water in specially prepared bottles with the environment in mind.Ring to discuss a special dinner or event. Bookings always advisable.
Honiton, United Kingdom
“Another lovely evening”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Thank you Carol and staff for another lovely evening. My husband had the rib eye steak which was huge. I had the sea bass with spring onion and ginger which was delicious.

Desert was not a surprise as my husband had what I had on my previous visit - the cheesecake with blackcurrant sorbet. I had the fig with cinnamon which was just like eating Christmas in summer - really gorgeous.

Many thanks again.

Geoff and Janice (Dunkeswell)

• Visited September 2013
DevonLilly, Owner at The Honiton Wine Bar, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your second visit and review of Honiton Wine Bar. So pleased that you had a wonderful evening to celebrate your special day. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Blackburn, United Kingdom
“August 2013”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A very warm, friendly and inviting place and the food is absolutely excellent. Would certainly recommend this Restaurant to anyone. We were on holiday in the Honiton area. The next time we are in Honiton, which is at least a couple of times a year, we will certainly be visiting the Wine Bar for another super meal. Well done to the lovely welcoming Owner and her excellent Chef and staff.

• Visited June 2013
UK
“Sent up the street from another restaurant”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We had originally tried another restaurant further down the High St. The girl behind the bar told us they werent serving food.....summer Friday evening??? How do those places survive? we asked her for a recommendation & she sent us along thr street to the Wine Bar.
And were we glad ......the Wine Bar had a fish night<Friday). The welcome was warm and friendly and the meal was delicious.
Unfortunately the pint of Otter beer that my husband ordered didn't taste good. He took it back to the bar where it was exchanged for a glass of wine without quibble.
Wish we had such a pleasant little place to eat in our town.

Visited August 2013
Well I am glad you came to us for your meal. Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to seeing you back again on your next visit.
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very disappointing food and not what we are used to in the Wine Bar which has always been excellent. My mushroom and spinach stroganoff had hardly any spinach and the whole was bland and very disappointing. As for the desert, well my fresh strawberry tart which sounded lovely was a disgrace for the price of £6. Sorry, but I am tired of paying out good money for poor food.

• Visited August 2013
DevonLilly, Owner at The Honiton Wine Bar, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello there Carole,
Thank you for your review of your visit to the Wine Bar this week.
Whilst I was not working on the day, I was informed of your complaint by my staff. I was not aware that you were disappointed in the Stroganoff which is a surprise, as it is a very popular meal with vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. I was told that you felt the cream on the strawberry tart was synthetic cream out of a can. I understand that the cost of the dessert was removed from your bill.
Firstly I can assure you that fresh whipped cream with icing sugar is all that is used to fill our tart cases, then fresh (as local as possible) strawberries are sliced and piled on top. The plate is decorated with a fresh coulis, and the whole dessert sprinkled with icing sugar.
Many of our customers share a dessert as the portions are generous.
The Strawberry Tart is not priced at £6 as you claim, our desserts start at £4 for artisan ice-creams (again a generous portion with ginger thins and a decorated plate), and then are £5.50 for everything else except a cheeseboard.
I am sorry that you were disapppointed in our food on your visit.
“Excellent food, served with the most politest service I've encountered, coupled with great value for money in an atmosphere whic”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My partner and I dined here while visiting Devon. We were strolling the high street and came across this place, taken in by its steak/gammon offer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To cut to the chase, the meals were honestly impressive! Also, if your someone who values your portions, need worry not. I had the gammon and my partner had the steak. We had some side dishes (vegetables, garlic bread etc) and the quality was really up there. For a little establishment, the price would rival the mainstream! Highly reccormended!!

• Visited July 2013
What a lovely review, thank you so much. Our Steak and Gammon nights are very popular, we are working hard to ensure great meals, good value and the best service. Its wonderful to hear we are getting there!