“Fantastic”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Guildford, Surrey
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We went for dinner here last night. Even though my husband was apprehensive because of some of the reviews he had read and heard(expensive and small portions mainly), we were both very pleasantly surprised. I had the special board starter ' grouse with apples and black berries' amazingly presented. My husband had the 'haddock and black pudding' of which was really good too. For our mains I had the 'salt cod with cauliflower, raison yoghurt and curry oil' sounds strange but really worked.The other main was the Chateaubriand and ox cheek, yummy . We shared the fairground dessert looked and tasted really good. We had sparkling water, two bottles of merlot, three courses each and our bill was £139. Considering this is a Michelin stared restaurant I felt this was a very good price.(I have been fortunate in that I have been to a few michelin star restaurants ) We both felt the portion size was just right, I was full after my main but squeezed in a dessert. The attention to detail and the work gone into the food is fantastic. I can only think these people that have complained about the portion size are used to gastro pubs or similar as my husband and myself are big foodies and eaters that love our food.You don't expect mounds of food its about the presentation and work that has gone into the dishes but we were by no means hungry. The staff were very helpful and nice too. I would highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be going back to Paul Ainsworths again and taking my family too.

• Visited November 2012

Hindley Green
“Fab”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We went for our anniversary, a card on the table was a nice touch. Food was excellent, we have been before and loved it but we felt they have improved since our last visit !! Well worth the money, just give it a try you wont be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012
exeter
“Brilliant”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Second visit and did not disappoint. Had set lunch menu which was really brilliant value for money and absolutely fantastic. Well deserved Mitchelin Star - well done! Ambiance, service and food exceptional. Just cannot say no to the 'Fairgound' dessert. Will be back!

• Visited October 2012
Northamptonshire
“Refreshing find in Padstow!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have looked at the menu many times when we have been to Padstow, this time when made a reservation and will never look back. We had a very enjoyable Saturday lunch, with great service and fabulous food and wine. I ate from the a la carte and my wife chose the set lunch menu, you would not go wrong fom choosing the set lunch menu, it is excellent value for money and there is no compromise on quality. Shame we don't live a little bit closer!!!!

• Visited September 2012
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had lunch from the a la carte menu. Whilst you can appreciate the techniques involved the food seems overworked and lacks freshness. The sauce on my hoggett main was reduced to a sticky glaze, with the intense flavour quickly becoming tiring on the palate. There are no fresh notes, whether herbs or citrus. The best dish was the blow torch mackerel, which had had the least done to it. The portions are tiny.

The restaurant has a number of small rooms. Some of these were left empty while we were squashed together with other diners. A waiter opened the window behind me, as there is no air conditioning, so I had a cold draught on my back during my meal.

• Visited October 2012