“Delicious food”

Ranked #20 of 91 Restaurants in Padstow
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: From our 28 day dry-aged aged Chateaubriand to our Devon Ruby Red steaks, choosing something from the grill is a must when you visit St Petroc's Bistro in Padstow. Enjoy drinks in our cosy snug bar, our relaxed lounge or dine in our pretty garden courtyard. Dogs are welcome outside and in the bar.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The food here was delicious. My husband had the steak which was devine. All the dishes we had were very nice. We felt very rushed though, and could have finished our 3 course meal within 45 mins if we hadn't slowed them down. Then when we asked for 5 mins before choosing our dessert, we were left for about 25 mins. Our wine and water didn't get poured for us once, which we found odd.
When our main meals were given to us and I had an allergy to one of the ingredients, they were brilliant about it, and took mine and my husbands meal back without question and replaced them both, which was unquestionably good service.

Overall, lovely food, mediocre service, and as the cost was very much the same as the seafood restuarant, I would go to the Seafood restuarant over the Bistro any day.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Hayley44

Bath, United Kingdom
“Dog Friendly in Bar”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We chose St Petrocs as we had our dog with us and the bar area is dog friendly .
We started with a pair of fabulous potent cocktails and when choosing the wine found the bar man very knowledgable and personable , we had a lot of fun tasting our choice and his recommendations .
Have to say his recommendations did win !
I thought the starters were ok but not stunning ( linguine and scallops ) but really enjoyed my Lemon Sole with shrimps, it was delicate and fell off its bones and my husbands Hake was firm and very tasty.
Puddings plus two different pudding wines were delicious.
As stated , we chose St Petrocs because we wanted a quality dining experience which accommodated our ( very well behaved ) dog , the bar area felt fun and relaxed and all the staff were knowledgable and friendly , it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening .

• Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Much better”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I am writing this review after the one I did for the Cafe. Lovely feel to this place. We had Prawns with garlic, chillie and olive oil and Lightly curried crab mayonaise with rocket. Beautiful.Followed by whole lemon sole on the bone and sirloin on the bone ( I do eat fish as well !!). The sole was served off the bone as requested and my wife loved it, my steak was excellent, well hung and a very nice flavour off it, minted potatoes and buttered savoy cabbage rounded off the mains very well. We shared a lemon tart with creme fraiche. Most enjoyable.

• Visited June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Service? What Service!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

To celebrate my freinds 50th Birthdays, (10 girls that have been friends since the first day of school!) we decided to spend the weekend in Cornwall and visit one of Rick Stein's establishments for dinner. We booked in to the Bistro months in advance to ensure we had a table as we were a party of 11. On the night we arrived at the Bistro on time for our reservation at 8.30pm. On arrival, there was no one to greet the party and only passing staff suggested that we move to the reading room as our table was not ready for us. This was not a problem for us as we thought we could have a pre dinner drink while looking at the menu. We were left in this room for 15 minutes with no one attending to us. We had to go and find a member of staff to take our drink order. When the drinks finally arrived, the waitress didn't even know what the drinks were that we had ordered. We had finished our drinks and were still sitting in the reading room, no one had brought menus or told us why we had not been seated. This was now 9pm. We went to find out what was happening and were told that it was a busy night at the restaurant and our table was about to be set up. We managed to get copies of the menu and handed them out to our party!
Again, we went to find a member of staff to see what was happening and when we finally found someone who could be bothered to come to the reading room, we were greeted with the remark,"i thought you were having a nice time in here". This was the last straw. No one had bothered to check on us, or give us an explanation for the delay. At this point we decided that we no longer wanted to eat at the Bisto so aksed for the drinks bill to settle.
There was still no apology or understanding of why we were not pleased with how we had been treated.
We had been kept waiting for over an hour. Surviving on Rick Stein's name and passing trade will not help this business in the long term. The basic package when operating in the service industry includes decent manners as a minimum. Rick Stein needs to be aware of how his business is being run while he is out of the country!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Tracey S
Ystrad Rhondda
“Total Disappointment”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

10 friends and myself rented a house for the weekend near Padstow to celebrate our 50th birthdays. The highlight of our weekend was going to be dinner at Rick Steins St Petrocs Bistro on the Saturday evening. We had booked a table for 8.30 months in advance. We were very excited and looking forward to some incredible food.We got to the bistro by 8.30 to be told our table wasn't ready but we could order a drink and wait in the bar area.We were then moved to a room which I believe they call the reading room which did not have a bar. This would have been acceptable if we hadn't had to go and look for someone to take our order for cocktails and if we hadn't been kept 45 minutes waiting for our table. After this appalling service we decided to pay for our drinks and leave. I personally have never been treated so badly in a restaurant and it spoilt a weekend that was all about celebrating and indulging ourselves.
I'm told that Rick now lives overseas and his son manages this restaurant, I suggest Rick pays a visit home to sort out his management as service like this will greatly affect his reputation.

Visited October 2013