“A delightful meal”

Ranked #20 of 92 Restaurants in Padstow
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: From our 28 day dry-aged aged Chateaubriand to our Devon Ruby Red steaks, choosing something from the grill is a must when you visit St Petroc's Bistro in Padstow. Enjoy drinks in our cosy snug bar, our relaxed lounge or dine in our pretty garden courtyard. Dogs are welcome outside and in the bar.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My friends and I had a fantastic time and meal with St Petroc's Bistro. We were taken to our table even we were so early. The service were very good. The quality of food and the freshness of seafoods were one of the best I have experienced.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The restaurant is located on a narrow street in the old part of Padstow and looks very appealing form the street.

We arrived at the time of our reservation, only to find kitchen staff at the front door (on a computer) with no front of house staff in site. The chef was very friendly - but it was just wrong.

We were shown to our table in what was two rooms of an original house knocked into one . .into which they had fitted as many tables as physically possible. This meant it was cramped, and overly warm and uncomfortable. The furniture did not scream quality, and there was a large 'desk' with cutlery, tomato ketchup and vinegart bottles in the corner of the room that looked poor.
There was a constant noise from the kitchen, (as the kitchen and dining room doors were open) and music playing in the restaurant which just seemed inappropriate (fast tempo).

The starter's were tasty without being expectional, but I have to say the main course (sole) was very good indeed. Cheese Board for dessert was OK.

This place is also a hotel, so I found it particulary poor that the waiting staff started setting up for breakfast during the evening service.
Overall, I would go again. A bit like Rick Stein's seafood restaurant; the food is good, but it's a case of pack them in, take their cash, and get them out . . .

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel with our daughter and her partner, (see hotel review), and ate here one night as part of the package. We had drinks in the lounge first, a bit of a wait, then were told almost immediately that our table was ready! We asked to wait for five minutes or so, but could the wine we ordered be put on the table ready so it could breathe - it was, but unopened! Apart from that we couldn't fault our friendly waitress. Everything we ordered was delicious - the prawns in a creamy curry sauce, the scallops, the wonderful steaks, the lemon tart in its crispy pastry case, the cheese. The atmosphere was buzzing with the sounds of people enjoying good food and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Having never been to one of Rick Steins venues before and having read mixed reviews, my husband and I were more than happy with our evening spent at the bistro. We enjoyed pre dinner drinks in the lounge, sinking comfortably into a leather sofa while perusing the menu. Being just out of season the bistro was busy but not full. We enjoyed scallops and a crab and gruyere tart followed by the best ribeye steak my husband says he's ever tasted, whilst I had the venison which melted in the mouth. All was served up in a quick and friendly manner by the young waiters. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

1  Thank KarenF1961
Reviewed October 5, 2013

High expectations not really fulfilled despite staff trying hard. Felt like mass produced food which was not good enough for the price. Would not return.