“Great time, Great location & fantastic staff”

Old Custom House Inn
Ranked #11 of 56 Padstow B&B and Inns
Yorkshire, UK
“Great time, Great location & fantastic staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Hello,
First let me explain the delay in getting this review to you, My wife was heavily pregnant at the time of our stay and at 7 month old my new Son doesnt let me have much free time but better late than never.
Anyway, we had spent one night in a place called Launceston (The White Hart Hotel) and after such a bad hotel anything was better (sorry I would use stronger words but take a tip and dont say there) we ended up in Padstow. Its a fantastic place, you do feel a bit unwelcome from the locals who have to endure the never ending stream of tourists trying to get a bit of Rick Stein but hey it probably brings in cash to the proper locals not the ones who use it as a summer or retirement home. We had chose the Old customs inn because it looked central and the price wasnt too bad. We arrived at midday and parked at the public car park near the lobster hatchery which is a bit of a walk but come night time you can move your car a bit closer, still in a public car park as the hotel doesnt have one. We checked in and they had the roomavaliable a bit early but as we had booked only a week or two earlier it was one towards the rear of the hotel without a view. After what we had just been though we didnt care. The staff on the desk were fantastic and even offered to help me up with the luggage, I declined but it makes a difference. The only downfall of this hotel is the steep staircase which as I have already mentioned my heavily pregnant wife found difficult but the room and staff and general all round atmosphere of the hotel more than made up for. We didnt eat at the hotel as the crowds of people coming in for lunch made sure but we did have a drink and the food looked good. We did however eat at Rick Steins Fish & Chip shop and can I say they were unbelievable, so good in fact the very next day we went back for a second helping before setting off home. On the night of stay we had already booked a night at Mr Steins St Petrocs Bistro, my wife loves shell fish but because of the Baby you are advised not to eat it so we went for this restaurant rather than his seafood one. We had a fantastic meal, and the place is not at all fancy, yes it has your food and wine critics wannabees but more or less all the customers were there for the food and looked like they had been there several times before. The bill wasnt too bad either, I think it was about £80 with a bottle of wine (for me) and a three course meal for both of us which was top class! Ive been to a few top places in London and it would have been much more expensive but less with less quality. I think its a must. We went back to the hotel and were greeted by a friendly member of the hotels staff and enjoyed a good nights sleep in our more than adequate room. I would recommened this hotel for its fantastic location, the rooms with a view must be even better, the staff add to the experience, the hotel is clean with all the modcons and to top it off its in a fantastic part of the world.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taffy&Yorkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Wolverhampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed for my wife's birthday for 2 nights. We asked for a quiet family room as my daughter is 9 months old. When we arrived we were allocated room 4 which seemed to be OK. The room was clean, bathroom was tied and needed some attention but ok. The has a great location in Padstow. After our evening meal we put our daughter to bed and then realised that we were above the noisiest bar in Padstow. We could clearly hear every conversation of the people below to the letter. By 12.30 the novelty of this had warn off. The next day we complained to the staff as we had specifically asked for a quiet family room. They offered us another room up a further 3 flights of stairs which was not suited due to the baby. We had to leave the hotel on my wife’s birthday to go home and were given no apology, no help with our luggage and we shocked at the hotel's attitude. DO NOT TAKE YOUR FAMILY TO THIS HOTEL. Great birthday for my wife!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

The old custom house Padstow is amazing
We have stayed 3 times now to enjoy the May day celebrations which are great .
We have stayed in room 8 twice which has great views over the harbour perfecty clean and pleanty of room
There was a mix up with our booking and our room was giving to another couple with the same surname it was quite spooky, but the manageress sorted the problem and gave us the honeymoon suite at no extra cost result !
Breakfast is great locals are friendly i have never said good morning to so many people getting the morning paper
The Hotel bar worth a vist on evening of april 30th to experience real cornish hospitality

• Liked — everthing
  • Disliked — coming home
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

I spent one night here whilst travelling in the South West on business. I got a good deal as it was out of season (Feb 2009) and as such my stay represnted fantastic value for money! My room was really big, clean, comfy and homely. The decor and feel of the room was very modern yet cosy and everything was presented very nicely. The bathroom was good too but the room was better! It overlooked Padstow harbour and it was stunning to wake up and see the place so quiet and still in a February morning. Breakfast was served in Pescadou restaurant which is part of the same establishment. The food was really yummy - I had a delicious piece of locally smoked haddock topoed with a softly poached egg for breakfast. Just the job! So I would definitely recommend thi place. It's only a few minutes walk to all of the Rick Stein eateries including his Fish & Chip Shop which I visited the night before .... that's also to be highly recommended!!

One slight downside is there's no hotel parking - but there's a public car park over the road and 24hrs parking there costs £6.50. This was no issue in February, but I have previously been to Padstow in August and I suspect it might be a bit tricky to find a space in that car park during the day in peak season. Just something to be aware of!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Buckinghamshire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

My husband chose this for my 40th birthday weekend on the recommendation of his brother. It turned out his brother had stayed in a 'Superior Room' which, to be honest, is the major difference in this hotel. Needless to say we were both very disappointed.

All the rooms shown in the brochure and on the website are superior rooms, and so, to walk into a standard room is, to underestimate, a disappointment. When we first walked in both of us felt a pang. My husband, who had booked it over the phone and understood he had booked a special room, was upset. So was I. When we approached the receptionist about our disappointment and feelings of being misled all we got was a shrug of the shoulders and the attitude that nothing would be done about it.

Although the furnishings were OK, I couldn't swing a kitten in there. I had to manoeuvre my chair out of the dressing table to be able to get ready in the evening, which then meant not being able to actually see in the mirror, enable the wire of my hairdryer to meet my hair, or allow my husband to get past without climbing over the bed.

Talking of which, the bed was so hard and the pillows so thick I spent most of both nights awake.

The bathroom space was, politely, compromised. I had difficulty enough sitting on the toilet without banging my knees on the bath (5 ft 6in) - my husband (6 ft 1 in) had no chance! It took 30-60 secs for hot water to come through the taps. Then the shower was so slow it took ages to rinse my hair.

On the 2nd morning our newspaper wasn't by the door when my husband went out at 8.30am (bearing in mind breakfast finished at 9.30am). It was by the door when we left for breakfast at 9am. So, when we checked out at 9.45 am my husband explained it wasn't there at the time he would have read it and refused to pay for it. Yet again the staff were ambivolent and implied we were lying. Not the way to treat guests.

In essence, the hotel has massive potential. Yet, it isn't realised. But their rates seem to reflect the fact that they are.

From the moment you check in, you notice the decor and feel of the place is a little run down, the staff don't really care about their guests and they seem to rely on the fact that they will get visitors paying their inflated rates, no matter what.

If you can afford it, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Superior Rooms. If not, our recommendation is to find better value accommodation elsewhere. Padstow itself it very expensive.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed here for a romantic getaway in Oct,...........
Location -
The hotel is in a great locatation, everything was just a short walk away, couldn't be better !! yes you do have to park in a car park oposite ( about 100 yards ) which cost about £6 for 24 hours, but there was always spaces.
Room & Hotel -
After reading some of the previous comments about entrance hall i was pre-warned, but it's not that bad, it could do with a bit of a make over, new carpet & the paint work freshned up but it's ok.
Our room (12) was lovely, nice and spacious over looked the harbour, we didn't hear any noise from down stair's, very clean & nice big comfortable bed. Bathroom was fine, basic but clean.

Over all our stay was very nice, the staff were friendly & helpful although you really only saw them in the reception area, the hotel is very laid back, they let there guests just get on with it...... perfect for a chilled out romantic weekend !

• Liked — Location & room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

This is a very old building set in a brilliant spot in Padstow with one side overlooking the harbour and the other the estuary. A very comfortable room (room 12) let down a little by the bathroom - a glass shower screen above the bath which was not very effective at stopping water from pooling on the floor and the irritating and familiar fault of putting a shelf above the sink so that it is just about impossible to rinse face and neck effectively (after a wet shave, for example) without banging your head or again wetting the floor. No storage space in bathroom. Very loud light switch and extractor fan. The main room was slightly worryingly distorted by the floor dipping in the centre. Very welcoming people; fantastic restaurant (for breakfast and dinner) ; Very popular public bar with good bar snacks (2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25 exceptional).

• Liked — Friendly people
  • Disliked — Bathroom design
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padstow
Metropole Hotel
#1 of 2 in Little Petherick
The Harlyn Inn
The Harlyn Inn
#25 of 56 in Padstow

Been to Old Custom House Inn? Share your experiences!