Old Custom House Inn
Treglos Hotel(Constantine Bay)(Great Value!)
$153
St. Moritz Hotel(Wadebridge)
$144
$140
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe puboyster barcar parkst austell breweryoverlooking the harbourgreat location rightpay and displayno liftmusselsate herecornish breakfastlovely hotelvisited padstowfirst floorcooked breakfastlovely viewbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed September 13, 2011

A warm welcome from the staff, parking easy on the quayside, opposite the hotel. the corridors were narrow to get to the rooms but this is what we wanted, old fashioned warm hotel with character instead of the 4 concrete wall type. View from the room over the fishing boats in the harbour was beautiful. Breakfast was in the restaurant next door and very good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This delightful hotel is right on the quayside in the centre of Padstow. We had 2 rooms, both tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Both had lovely views although I had only booked sea view in one of them. It was very peaceful at night and we slept really well in the comfortable bed. Spotlessly clean. Very friendly reception staff. Breakfast was superb with a wonderful choice, all laid out on huge table. The cooked breakfast was delicious.Dinner , the previous night in the same restaurant was very good. NO COMPLAINTS!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights at end of August on their mini break deal (3 nights for price of 2). The welcome was warm and friendly, the room (room 11) was spacious, well decorated and comfortable with a large bed, the bathroom was functional, clean and not basic (from what other reviews had said).

Other points I would mention is that the stairs are quite steep so if you fund stairs difficult, just be aware. No fault of the owners but more about the age and layout.

Just remember that this location is right on the harbour so you benefit from marvellous views, and ease of being in the town. The downside for some will be that it can be noisy outside at night but only until 10 ish and yes you hear some minor noises in the morning like bins
being collected, but this is the charm of being in the middle of a Cornish harbour town.

The breakfast at pescado was stunning - quality fayre with no scrimping of quality to give an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed at the Old Custom House during August. We stayed in a superior room with a view to the front of the harbour. I think it was room 9. The room itself was nice - most importantly it was clean, it was very spacious, two single beds pushed together to make a king so a massive bed, and there was a nice little lounge area with a settee and two wicker-type chairs and a coffee table for relaxing. Slippers and a dressing gown each were also provided. There is a kettle, still water and biscuits provided (although the biscuits weren't replaced during our stay, once they were gone they were gone!). I would certainly say that paying a little extra gets you a nicer room (we stayed in a standard double also on the front with views of the harbour). Breakfast was nice and served in the restaurant. There is a buffet with fruit/toast/jams and you can choose off the menu i.e. full cornish breakfast or scrambled eggs and smoked salmon and a few other choices, or indeed the chef will adapt and make something else for you, pending ingredients! The hotel has a prime location in the middle of town and to be honest you couldn't get a better location in Padstow, walking distance to all pubs/restaurants/cafes/shops - everything is on your doorstep. The pub downstairs was also nice, and one of the nicest pubs in the harbour with a good selection of nice wine by the glass, ales etc. We were also made to feel welcome at reception and the staff (house-keeping, bar staff, reception were nice).

There were some things I disliked though which I must say to give a balanced view.

First point to note is a major thing - the car parking. We stayed in the middle of summer and I fully expected Padstow to be manic, (and it was), but parking our car was awful. There is no hotel parking so you have to park in the pay and display car park across the road. One night it took us close to 40 minutes to park our car. In the end on this occasion we gave up and parked a bit further out of town. Every evening coming back from a nice day out we faced this task and towards the end of the break I was rather fed up of the drive round and round (and round!) the car park hoping that someone pulls out just as we arrive. We heard others grumbling about this too. We had to plan our days out to make sure we got back at the end of the day, not at lunchtime so we couldn't come back for a nice lunch in Padstow and a glass of wine as getting a parking space would have been unlikely (they sometimes put the car park barrier down to stop new cars entering!). It perhaps isn't quite as bad out of season, I haven't been to Padstow out of season but it was a real problem in the middle of summer/peak seasons as Padstow is so popular.

Second was the shower in the en-suite bathroom. The pressure wasn't good at all. I was expecting a lot better from a hotel of this rating and rinsing my hair was rather difficult. There was also a chip in the bath, not a big deal but don't expect luxury designer bathrooms or anything like that. The shower in the standard double was a bit stronger than the superior room interestingly and was acceptable but the bathroom had a very strong fusty/dampish smell (there were no windows in either en suite bathroom).

Third, is a warning about the noise. To be honest I wasn't majorly worried about it, but one night we were treated to a drunk lady singing away outside the pub! In the morning we also were woken up a few mornings to a loud crane-like noise. No idea what that was. As I say, it wasn't unbearable, and wouldn't alone stop me going back, just don't go expecting pure silence. It is a working harbour though and the height of summer but both rooms we stayed in on the front had the same noisy aspect.

I also disliked the two single beds pushed together to make a large king size with a king size sheet over the top and king duvet. That's personal preference though as my husband quite liked the large bed!

The beauty/salon is also a tiny room at the top of the stairs leading to guest rooms. Because of this when walking to your room you can see right in and I saw a few ladies having their hair washed, so it wasn't that private! There was a smell of nail polish occasionally wafting out of there and the door leading to guest rooms isn't security tagged like many hotels.

Lastly, the price we paid for what we stayed at felt too high. Other reviewers have said this too and I fully agree - for the price I'd expect a plush 4 or 5 * hotel - and really you do only get nice clean well decorated rooms above what essentially is the pub. Granted, they are very nice rooms but it's not a luxury hotel. The standard room we stayed in also was tiny - possibly because i'd stayed in the superior room too but it wasn't very big, just nicely decorated and average.

Overall, we had a great holiday in Padstow. Would I go back? Maybe. The most important criteria is cleanliness and location for me and it met both, but I'd probably see what else was available first before booking again. The rooms are too expensive for what we got in terms of accomodation and I resent paying so much that is just average. I'd probably see what self catering options there were in town (of which there seemed to be many). The hotel does have a prime spot in town (probably the best spot in town) which is what you are paying for (and lack of equivalent accomodation!) so book it if this is one of the most important things for you, it was for me and I read other reviews before visiting. I'd never go back at the height of summer however - it is far too busy and even the 3 cash points in town ran out of money whilst we were there!!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and i stayed in room 10 for our honeymoon.It was excellent,it was a good size,it had lovely views over the harbour.The staff were very helpful.We were both very happy and will return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple