“Disappointed with rooms standard.very outdated..”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Padstow
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was to be a 4 day trip to Padstow and a surprise for my Husbands Birthday to go to Rick Steins. But when we got to our room I was so disappointed as the room looked so dated I felt quite embarrassed at my choice of Hotel and wanted to cry as he had utterly spoilt me when it was mine.
I wanted to check out there and then and book elsewhere, but was given a different room choice which was better.
In keeping with the age of the hotel, I understand a modern look would spoil it but I also believe the bedrooms need to be updated as they look shabby, and the bed quilts are tucked like those in Travel Lodge !!!
So for us another trip will be planned but not at the Metropole.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Deedles01
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Deedles01,

Thank you for your review but I am sorry your stay wasnt a more pleasurable one.

We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms and more work is due to commence in the coming weeks. I am glad we were able to offer you an alternative room that was more suitable for you.

I do hope that you may revisit sometime in the future so we can show what improvements we have made.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was a midweek week break through some offer -can't remember from where
Old hotel but comfortable
Our offer included a bottle of wine but we were really pleased to get a free cream tea overlooking the harbour
The evening meal was really nice and service excellent especially as I had broken my collar bone and could only use the wrong arm so they kindly provided a spoon for me!
Breakfast menu was excellent where you could really spoil yourself

Overall the hotel is "traditional" with fantastic views from the restaurant but if you want it from the room you"l&l need to pay that little bit more

Room Tip: Spend a bit more to get a sea view if you want to spend time in the room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear damien c,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased you were able to take up one of our special offers and you enjoyed your cream tea overlooking the fantastic views.

Im glad the staff could look after you and I hope we may be able to do so again soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We are regulars at this hotel and take advantage of their break offers at least once a year. We took a late September 4 day break and it was brilliant, this is our favorite Richardson hotel. Everything at the hotel is excellent, especially the food. Car parking can be difficult at times do to the popularity of hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear kfj_7,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

I am pleased that being a regular guest with us, the team are still achieving such good standards and I am delighted that we are your favourite Richardson Hotel!

We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Kind regards

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Recently my wife and I took advantage of a special offer price break at the Metropole Hotel Padstow , We have stayed at the hotel several times before, even before it was purchased by the Richardson Chain and we both had a most enjoyable relaxing stay, the standard and presentation of the evening meal was excellent and breakfast was more than adequate, All staff made efforts to please us and house keeping was also to a very good standard. The hotel stands in a magnificent position over looking the harbour with views across to Rock which of course all adds to your stay,PS don't forget to take binoculars

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ken E,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We are in a fantastic position and we are able to boast some fabulous views, even after may years, I certainly dont tire of the view!

I am delighted you enjoyed the food and that everyone here was able to make your stay a relaxing one. I hope it wont be too long before we are able to welcome you back again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Another enjoyable break at the Metropole. Our room was excellent with magnificent views – the bed was a little hard for us but the attentiveness and warmth of the staff more than made up for this and enhanced what was a super holiday. The food was delicious and beautifully presented as always and we particularly enjoyed the breakfasts which were always freshly cooked to order. We hope to be back again before too long. We have been staying at the hotel for over 25 years now and do feel that the present management are doing a great job

Room Tip: Spend the extra on a room with a view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear heliman1998,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

What a pleasure to read and be able to pass on such great comments especially since you know the hotel so well and after 25 years I hope that we can still impove on every visit.

We do have a fantastic team who work so hard, I will have great pleasure in passing on your kind feedback.

Many thanks and kind regards

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Metropole for a further 5 nights during mid October – having enjoyed our time at the hotel at the end of April [See review dated 10th May 2013].

As with that visit, we found the hotel to be very comfortable – with some areas having been re-carpeted and redecorated. Housekeeping is extremely good, and Premier rooms overlook the harbour and lovely estuary.

Food was again of a very high standard. As I said in my previous report, in our opinion the eating experience at The Metropole is at least on a par with other Padstow restaurants. Food allergies and intolerances are well catered for by the chefs and restaurant staff.

There is not a lot to add to my previous review – except to say that the friendliness, professionalism and helpfulness of the staff throughout the hotel and restaurant is hard to better.

The on going refurbishment of this beautiful Victorian building enables us to upgrade our review to 5 star for this visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear WGS55,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that we were able to you welcome you back once again and that you were looked after by all the staff including our marvellous team of Chefs who do produce some of the best food around!

I am pleased that you have seen the difference since your visit in May with regards to the refurbishment that is in progress and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and showing what more we have achieved.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We came back to this hotel after a 2 year break, and were given the same inland two bedroom as we had before. The room was comfortable and roomy and clean, but it cost us over twice as much as before!!! The service in the restaurant was awful ( 20 minutes wait between each course). When we went to the lounge afterwards for our coffee there was no where to sit, the second lounge was locked up for what reason we don't know. Considering what we were charged for a 3 night stay this was far from what we expected. If the hotel is catering for coach parties as well as guests they should at least have the correct number of staff employed there. We will not be going back to that particular Richardson hotel, such a shame as it really is in a wonderful position in Padstow and could offer so much more (a reasonable tariff would help)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear bulldog1063,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay back in September.

I am sorry that your return visit was not a more pleasurable one especially having enjoyed your previous stay with us.

September is still a very busy time of year not just with us but also in Padstow but in no way should that have impacted on the service you recieved and I apologise for that.

I do hope that you would consider returning to us. We do have special offers running throughout the year that you might find of interest especially as the winter offers are extremely good value for money. Should you wish to discuss them or anything else concerning your stay, please do contact me at the hotel.

Many thanks and kind regards

Melissa Harris

Also consider these accommodations in or near Padstow
Treglos Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Well Parc Hotel
Well Parc Hotel
#1 of 1 in Trevone

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!