“Stunning house with epic views”
Camel Quarry House was designed by architects Maclean Quinlan, and  the garden by Mary Reynolds.
Breathtaking panoramic views of the Camel Estuary. Watch the boats go by without leaving the sofa
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Breathtaking panoramic views of the Camel Estuary.
Watch the boats go by without leaving the sofa
The fully equipped kitchen has 2 dishwashers, a pantry and a walk in fridge.
A great party house. You can hire a private chef to come to the house.
Light a BBQ or have a fire.  The table seats up to 20.
Instagraming camelquarryhouse
Bedroom 1,
breathtaking views, king size bed and bath.
All 6 bedrooms have Egyptian Cotton sheets and views.
All 6 bathrooms, are slate, with fluffy white towels and yummy smelly things from St Kitts Herbery.
Even the bathrooms have views.
Bedroom 4 with uninterrupted views over the garden and across  fields.
Bedroom 3, with uninterrupted views over the garden and Estuary.
Sometimes its difficult to leave the bedroom
Watching from the cedar hottub, Lunch come to the table.
Bikes can be delivered to the house.
The house is surrounded by corn fields and sea.
Inside or out? Big question.
Inside or out?
Welcome to Camel Quarry House. Our hamper is 6 bottles of chilled champagne rather than a hamper!
Wonder up to the Cedar hot tub.
tip toeing sup to the cedar hot tub.
Dee, The House Manager with the Camelmobile. She's there to welcome you and help you.
Dusk, after another sunset.
Giant red leather sofa, perfect to watch Netflix or Sky, or one from the DVD Library.
A sunset a night, better than any show.
Inside or out?
The camel Trail, a stones throw from the house, goes from Padstow to Bodmin Moor.
You cannot beat freshly cooked lobster and home made mayo.
Roc Oysters from The Camel Estuary. The house has shukers so you can prepare them fresh yourselves.
Local Mussels from the Camel Estuary.
Fresh shrimp caught in the estuary just outside the house
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 31 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Nicola F
“Stunning house with epic views”
Reviewed December 5, 2017 for a stay in November 2017
people found this review helpful

As you approach the house you realise what a unique and special location it is going to be. Located right on the Camel Trail with direct access to the trail and under an hour walk to Padstow and views across the camel estuary. When we arrived for our hen do it was quite overwhelming. There was 6 bottles of decent bubbles as a welcome gift from the housekeeper Dee (who lives at the bottom of the house tucked away). The house is vast with nooks here and there and rooms everywhere. Designed to a high spec and great attention to detail with unique art work - the owner clearly has great taste.The socialising space Kitchen/Diner/living space/terrace at the top of the house was the showstopper with immaculate views and just really well laid out. Pretty perfect for a hen weekend where having space to hang out together as a group was a essential to making it work. Equally most of us were parents and commented on how great it would be to come as a big family - especially as there are nice flat walks and the access to the Camel Trail on the doorstep. All in all a really fantastic weekend. The house spoke for itself. And then the aftercare from Dee when I left my coat and scarf - posted back to me within the week.Highly recommend for whatever your situation.

Dear Nicola,
Thank you. I’m so pleased you and your hens enjoyed the house! I apologise for my late response but I’ve only just got the hang of trip advisor!
Dee is indeed a gem. Much appreciated by me and all the guests!
I hope you’ll come back one day with any additions to your family and you can introduce them to the delights of The Camel Estuary. We had quite a few little ones the other day and they spent their time shrimping and collecting mussels in the estuary!
USFamilyG...
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing house and grounds - sensational views, lots to do”
Reviewed April 18, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

The views are sensational and constantly changing with the light. The house is stunning and comfortable - and worked well for our group of 12 plus dog. The gardens and setting are lovely - with a fun and quirky feel to the garden, a hot tub located to enjoy fabulous sunset, and the superb Camel Estuary trail 5minutes walk from the house. It is 2.3 miles to Wadebridge (and shops) and 3miles to Padstow and it's restaurants - as well as the coastal trail with lovely beaches. We loved it! As a multi age group that hikes, cycles, explores and loves food, we couldn't have chosen a better place - and our teenagers loved using the kayak and wet suits available to borrow. Only, take heed the long drive/farm track may be seriously challenging for low swung cars - I emptied excess passengers from my estate car to keep from scraping it's bottom. We all would highly recommend the Camel Quarry House.

Your age range 50-64
Dear USfamily group,
Thank you for a lovely review. We’ve just added 2 SUP boards to the kayaks. I know the drive is a bore, being a farm track too, but it’s just been relevelled, so much better.
I hope we see you again.
LMR56
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Stunning House in Outstanding Location”
Reviewed October 3, 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

Camel Quarry House is a wonderful, contemporary house built with the highest quality materials and expertly designed to maximise its outstanding location, set high above the beautiful Camel Estuary. The main living area with 360-degree views of the Estuary and surrounding countryside is on the top floor and has full-length glass windows on three sides, one of which opens onto a large furnished terrace with BBQ. The spacious bedrooms (mostly ensuite with more wonderful views) are on the lower two floors together with a media room (great choice of DVDs) and a gym in the lower basement. The house is superbly equipped for large groups (including a large walk in fridge and two dishwashers) and the very helpful Housekeeper lives on site providing daily cleaning and being available to deal with any problems. The feature garden with interesting sculptures, a hot tub and a fire pit leads down to the Camel Trail path (the former railway line for the old quarry) which runs between Padstow and Wadebridge and offers beautiful walks in both directions. The drive to the house which runs through five fields could be a challenge in bad weather for some cars but we managed it in a mini without any problems (as instructed we left the porche at home)! We had a wonderful week in this stunning house and would highly recommend it. Thank you, Emma, for allowing us to share your little piece of paradise!

Dear LMR56,
Thank you for your lovely review. I’m so happy you enjoyed the house and I hope we see you again!
Trek60512...
“Amazing house, extraordinary setting and complete relaxation”
Reviewed September 20, 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

I was part of a group of friends who stayed at Camel Quarry House and I was bowled over by the architecture of the house, its fantastic garden and dramatic setting. Overlooking the Camel Estuary, one can spend hours looking at the tides, clouds, boats and birds. Or one can go on never ending excursions and discover this beautiful area. We were amazingly looked after during our stay and enjoyed every moment. I found it very difficult to return to reality....

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the setting of the house over the estuary
Liked least: nott enough time to enjoy the activities
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
May 15, 2018
Thank you for your comments. I hope you will be able to come back one day.
Extraordi...
“Spectacular”
Reviewed September 20, 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

I rented Camel Quarry for a significant family birthday and took my 87 year old mother and my children with their respective families. We were 12 in all and the house was perfect on every level with all different age groups finding their own spaces and entertainment and then finding ourselves all happily engaged in the stunning living room at the top of the house with the spectacular ever changing tidal views.

The kitchen is fantastically equipped, and cooking there is a joy with a walk in fridge, a wonderful selection of cookbooks and everything you could dream of . The bedrooms are spacious and very comfortable with lovely bed linens.

Overall this house is very well designed and detailed and felt like home. There is much to do in the area and it was a bonus having a large supermarket almost at the top of the drive.

The driveway down to the house was a little bumpy - but all part of the experience and you feel very private once you arrive, but still engaged with the area as the Padstow Camelford pathway is just outside your property.

We all can't wait to go back

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the location and the views
Liked least: It is far from where I live
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
May 15, 2018
Thank you for you lovely review. I do hope you return. Its nice to think your mother enjoyed herself at 87 too!
LivGuthri...
“Beware!”
Reviewed September 10, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
people found this review helpful

Beware! We were blown away by this gorgeous house when we first arrived for a family Christmas. Unfortunately this was short lived as we spent the rest of our break dealing with not having any water. Quite a challenge with two small children and not what you expect given the price you pay for a luxury house in a luxury location and given the fact a manager on site is meant to deal with any problems. The owner was completely unsympathetic when we rang her to ask for help. She actually said, "what do you want me to do about it? I'm on a leopard safari..." Despite having to take legal action to get some of our money back we have yet to receive any compensation at all. Extremely disappointing. A gorgeous house is all good and well but no water meant we couldn't wash, flush loos, drink, cook... We might as well have been camping. Being forgiving sort of folk it would have been ok if even the smallest amount of apology shown and compensation agreed but this was not forthcoming and still hasn't been despite court action resulting in our favour. Such selfish owners. Such a shame.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Sep 21, 2016
Of course I was extremely concerned immediately.
My house keeper, Jane called me, to say the water was intermittent and not always full pressure. I responded straight away. I immediately rung the head Guest to apologise profusely and I organised for my house keeper to give the guests a crate of champagne whilst, the plumber and Head Builder went to the house. I take guests having any problems very seriously. The guests were in the loop all the way through. I was so concerned, I told the plumbers not to leave the house until the problem was fixed. The problem was sorted we all thought that same day but the pump then failed again the next day. Jane, herself, kept restarting the pump, so the guests had minimum disruption. The problem was identified and a new pump ordered and was fitted within 48 hours .The only time there was no water at all was on the Wednesday when the new pump was being fitted. Both myself and my housekeeper, Jane, were extremely apologetic and Everything that could have been done was done.
The head Guest texted me 'Thank you, I do appreciate all you are trying to do' and later 'I know you have made every effort to sort this.'
On their return, the Head Guest asked for a 60% refund, I offered 20% or a free weekend by way of good will. I have my bank statement to proof that this was received and cashed by the Head Guest.
FMC355
Cobham, United Kingdom
“Stunning views...but is that enough?”
Reviewed September 8, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
people found this review helpful

For a start - getting there in mid-winter was nigh on impossible - unless you had a 4x4. Deep tyre tracks on the only route to the house (once you found any kind of sign), across fields meant lots of bottoming out and spoiler scraping and deep mud and streams of water meant lots of slip-sliding.

Once at the house, the views make up for most of the stress created by the arrival. However, I would not say this house is suitable for all ages. Very steep slate stairs throughout would be hazardous to the elderly and toddlers alike. Be aware and take safety gates for peace of mind.

Bedrooms look lovely - but mine had nothing but a designer wooden tree trunk chair in it. Lovely to look at, but not to stub your toe or catch your heel on! There was no table/chest of drawers or any other kind of landing space to put anything on - so it all ended up on the floor. Nor was there any additional bedding provided and on a cold windy night, the room is not completely wind-proof and the thin duvet not very warm.

The bathroom ceiling leaked and the room cleanliness did not stand up to scrutiny (e.g. all sorts of treasures found behind the bedroom door) and my bedside light was also faulty.

I would also mention that the range and supply of kitchen crockery was wonderful, but the utensils were well beyond their intended lifespan. Wooden spoons had gone furry, no sharp knives and a lot of the massive assortment of stuff in the drawer was broken.

I think Emma and the housekeeper have some work to do to bring this house up to scratch for the prices charged. Having a designer build and stunning location is not enough.

How helpful were the directions to the property? Overall condition of the property
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Sep 21, 2016
Dear GUEST,
Yes, the drive is also a farm track and in the winter especially if it is raining I advise to come in a 4 x 4. (However I have a fiat) I send out detailed directions on booking and the house is also on GOOGLE MAPS. I provide safety gates if there are children staying. The bedroom that this guest was staying in has a built in cupboard and shelves. The duvet itself is silk, warm in winter and cool in summer. Jane would have provided extra if she had been asked. As the house is a new build, it is extremely well insulated and the heating is run with ground source heat pumps, solar panels and electricity. Each bedroom has its own thermostat as well. Everything is well checked, and the house is cleaned daily by Jane, with a team of cleaners helping with all change overs.
The kitchen is extremely well equipped the knives are sharpened and many have their own covers. Nothing as far as I am aware is broken, as everything is checked at the end and start of guests arriving. Items are replaced and added to on a regular basis. Sometimes guests put different things away in different places, so they are difficult to find, or components become separated. (Electric whisk and blade). I am most distressed to think you did not enjoy your stay,
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing