“Our 3rd fantastic stay we will all be back”
Review of St. Moritz Hotel

St. Moritz Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wadebridge
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We are a group of mature ladies that like a bit of girlie time & this is our 3rd stay. I really cant belive the negative reviews about this beautiful spa hotel. Right from walking in the doors and being welcomed by the reception staff you feel at home. It is elegantly decorated scrupulously clean & if this make you feel uncomfortable well that may say more about the reviewer then St Moritz. OMG the beds are like sleeping on marshmellow the pillows & bedding are the best. the resturant food was fresh & beautifully presented & cooked as was breakfast. please try the the smoked hadock chowder for lunch just yummy. AS for the spa the girls really look after you & make you feel your the most important person they are dealing with that day. As you can tell I love this place & feel it deserves the recognition they work so hard to attain

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank troddy

Reviewed October 10, 2011

After reading great reviews of St. Moritz, I decided to book a long weekend stay here for myself and my wife. Rooms were hugely overpriced for what you get, the restaurant was a great disappointment as it took half an hour to even receive our starter course, and the general feel of the hotel seemed somewhat stuck up and made us feel uncomfortable. Wish we hadn't relied on the reviews, won't be back in a hurry.

5  Thank NicoleH85
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We were at St Moritz for a week's holiday with friends. We were a group of 4 professional couples in our 40's & 50's.

We stayed in one of the garden villas. These are privvately owned - the one we stayed in was a credit to the owners and very well equipped.

There were fantasic sea views from the villa we stayed in.

St Moritz is located at the top of a very steep hill outside Polzeath, not Wadebridge - which is a number of miles away. To go to many of the local attractions a car is essential.

One of the attractions of the villas is that guests staying there are also allowed to use the facilities at the adjacent hotel.

My wife and one other from our party used the indoor pool each evening & my wife and I used the out door pool. Both are small but adequate.

The problem with service at the hotel arose on the last day of the holiday. Throughout the week the staff had been professional & pleasant.

On the last day as my wife & friend went to the pool a gentleman, who I believe to be the maanger, was there. When my wife & friend asked for a towel they were told that they were in the villas. The towels are for hotel guests only and if they were given towels then the hotel might run out. When it was pointed out that on the previous days my wife & friend had received towels they were told "Well you've got away with it then".

There were so many ways they could have been handled without being so openly hostile & rude. This staff member needs to be retrained in customer relations.

I also question the management of a hotel that might run out of clean towels!

I came away with the feeling that the St Moritz has an idea of who it would like as guests and we were not it. We shall not be going back.The St Moritz is nothing out of the ordinary.

The villas & hotel are expensive and within this price range I would expect better facilities & a well trained & professional staff.

Most disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JDL1965
Reviewed September 29, 2011

For the last couple of years, my family and I (generally 3 adults, 3 children - 9, 7 and 5 yrs) have stayed at the St Moritz during the beginning of the summer holidays and are planning to stay again for two weeks in 2012. We book an apartment as we find it provides good flexibility (family can come and go), great space (3 beds, 3 bath/showers), modern interiors (think Cape Cod) and reasonable value (relative to individual rooms).

We look forward to our stay each year and have yet to be disappointed. The apartment is immaculate when we arrive, staff are always very welcoming and new facilities seem to appear each time we return (outdoor pool, new restaurant, etc). We regularly eat in the restaurant in the evening as we find the food outstanding and the service the right side of "relaxed professionalism". If you do want to venture out, there are some great local alternatives including Nathan Outlaw's Seafood and Grill but we are normally far too comfortable to move from the St Moritz! The restaurant will provide room service to the apartment if you want to eat in, but the menu is brief.

The location of the hotel cannot, in our opinion, be bettered especially for a family holiday. Daymer Bay, Polzeath and even Rock are all walkable (although we do use the car to bring back our surf/body boards!). The start of the Camel Trail is very close (Wadebridge) - fantastic cycling for all ages. We have also found some good riding (Tresallyn) and go-kart racing (St Eval) in the local area. Great surfing lessons on Polzeath beach and the hotel even has a drying room for your wet gear. The hotel has an indoor and an outdoor pool - the former of which can get busy during wet days. The indoor pool is the only part of the hotel that could do with an upgrade, but children don't seem to notice and enjoy themselves regardless. The Cowshed Spa is a delight, although I woud suggest booking treatments before you arrive for your stay.

The hotel is very family friendly (great menus, kids' room, etc) so is very popular with families during the summer holidays. I would suggest booking outside of this period if you are looking for a quieter time (when it would be heaven!). However, if you are looking for a great family hotel which provides boutique style and comfort for adults whilst catering perfectly for children don't hesitate to book during the holiday period. For us, it is the ideal way to get the "Cornish experience" in an extremely comfortable fashion!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SV10
Reviewed September 25, 2011

First of all let me say how uncertain I was about booking the St Moritz after reading some of the reviews from this year. But let me say how glad we did book this hotel. There is no doubt that this is a great hotel and well run. The bad review of this summer (and fortunately Trip Advisor removed 2 of the reviews) were clearly from people who had taken the wrong turn at the traffic lights and were meant to head to Stanstead and a bucket flight to the south of Spain. That said let me highlight my own experience. We booked an apartment (photos attached) and it was brilliant. Spacious, modern, light and well equiped with everything you need. We did some self catering but also had room service and ate in the hotel restuarant. From my other reviews you will see that I rate the restaurant at the St Moritz higher than Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant. Great food, ambience and service. This hotel is close to a couple of great beaches and within easy reach of Rock, Padstow, Tintagel etc. Whilst we drove round to Padstow the hotel do drop you off at Rock for the ferry and pick you up later. My wife had 2 treatments at the Cowshed Spa and rated them very highly but book well in advance as they are very popular. Staff here and in the hotel are friendly and helpful so all in all we had a relaxing break. We did stay mid September after the school holidays so we did not have to contend with loads of children which I'm sure would be a pain for 'child free' adults. But the easy answer to all that is don't go during the peak season unless you are prepared for that. Will be back.

Room Tip: If you want to splash out go for Apartment 203
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We have just returned from our 7th stay at this hotel.
We have found Trip Advisor very helpful in choosing hotels so we thought it was time we made the effort to add our comments.
The St Moritz continues to delight us. The location is perfect with so much within reach - beaches, surfing, shopping, countryside.
We always choose a suite as it is so comfortable and well equipped - the kitchen has every convenience.
The Hotel restaurant is great for lunch (which we always have when we arrive) and dinner (although the suite makes self catering a doddle). Room and Restaurant prices are fair and reflect the quality of the food and surroundings.
Breakfast is excellent and served until 11am.
Book the spa early as it gets busy it seems locals as well as guests make use of it - it is good to see it is well frequented.
We look forward to our next visit and hope our review does not make St Moritz so popular that we cannot get in!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Tauntonholidayers
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed staying at the St Moritz Hotel this weekend. The rooms were fantastic – it was lovely to arrive to such a clean, tidy room! I thought the service at breakfast and supper were exceptional and leagues ahead of any other restaurant in the surrounding area. I will definitely be recommending the hotel to everyone and I look forward to hopefully coming back next year.

Thank you so much for such a fantastic weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadebridge
2 mi away
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The St Enodoc Hotel
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to St. Moritz Hotel? Share your experiences!