“Took a risk and lost”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wadebridge
London, United Kingdom
“Took a risk and lost”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When reading the reviews on here we knew we were taking a small risk on booking, but am thoroughly disappointed. On arrival everything was ok, rooms were fine and clean. However within minutes we realised we were to spend the 3 night stay totally in the dark. The room overlooked the courtyard at the back but with no blinds or curtains on the windows had to shut the curtains when in the room. The worst thing was the noise, from around 7.30 until after midnight there were people talking outside the room using appalling language. We like live music, so thought the noise other reviewers complained about wouldn't bother us. However, it was so loud with the windows shut that we couldn't hear the television. Breakfast was ok, although very expensive if you want a cooked breakfast, an additional 7.50 (had a lovely breakfast 2 doors down). A glass of wine in the bar cost 8 pounds. I think a decision on whether the place wants to cater for hotel (?) guests or the foulmouthed drunks!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank 112KATES

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We did book last minute in the height of summer and on Wadebridge's annual fun event. We warned it would get busy and took the last room available. The owner David was very amiable and filled us in on where to visit.Staying in room no.1 is directly above the disco so be warned there! The room was comfortable but was let down with the breakfast being continental.
Apparently you have to pay extra for a 'full English'!
The staff were friendly and the pub seems very popular with locals and visitors alike.

Room Tip: Stay away from the back rooms adjoining the rear entrance. Also the parking space gets filled quickl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peppadog
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I was worried after reading some of the reviews- and I should have known better.
First impressions were terrible.
You go to the bar to check in which is ok, (I've done that in lots of smaller places) but what made this worse was being completely ignored whilst standing there with suitcases... Girls behind bar in disgusting vests emblazoned with 'Zoo' logo (their new lounge/club), the man who I had to approach was just plain odd- no greeting, no introduction.
There was a lot of fuss about which rooms, lots of repeating the process of check in whilst standing at bar still with suitcases just wanted to check in!!
It was actually creepy and very odd.

The place smells- staircase and common areas are disgusting, new carpeting needed if selling rooms within a bar... The rooms were ok, decent bed and ok ikea furniture,no sound proofing and noise from staff outside windows smoking and talking about last nights conquests... but the bathrooms were covered in mold and mildew,so not a great start.

We wanted to eat downstairs as the town was dead, everything shut- but after a stressful few mins dealing with said man from check in we had to give up... It was laughable if we weren't all hungry and a little stressed from experience so far. Considering they had just four drunk customers who I imagine are a staple at the bar I would have thought they could use the business!

Breakfast was one redeeming feature- a guy who wore a navy Molesworth Arms Tshirt( not the ridiculous 'Zoo' vests was very helpful, polite and attentive- quality of food was poor, but we were happy with tea and toast and a friendly welcome.

They need to fire 90% of the staff, lose the Tacky Zoo club/ lounge thing and concentrate on being a pub with rooms in a country town.
Make it warm, clean and friendly and they would be much better off!

Don't risk staying here, it is as bad as some reviews say it is, it wasnt relaxing and at times quite disturbing that any old drunk can wander directly from street into corridor where you are asleep in bed- very very ODD!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank lovenyc81
dplanetzog, Owner at Molesworth Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
This is the response we have had from our email regarding the unfair comments alleged against the stay. as below....

We I've just looked at the site and that isn't my review (I've never written one)... But I accept it maps broadly to the experience of my group so could easily be one of the other guys.

Personally, like you, I wouldn't really agree with the review to be honest, I understood that it was rooms above a pub & nothing fancy and communicated that clearly to the group. They may be used to staying in posher places...

I had a reasonably good stay, and indeed you were very thorough at check in. I suppose they were tired after a long drive and not used to people being so specific about details/times but I know plenty of people who are just as attentive to detail! I know they were annoyed that evening but thought they had a decent sleep and were positive about it by the time we left.

I can ask around and tell them they may get a refund if they remove it, but as I say it's not mine to remove - can you not post your comments below as a reply to the review? I've seen owners do that before... But I guess that leaves the score.

Our Response

Mr Daykin we have read your review of our establishment on trip advisor and assess it to be very unfair and damaging to our business which we have greatly improved over the last 12 months and take great pride in the operation daily.

From the moment you arrived at the Pub, I tried to be as helpful as possible from the initial booking through the check in process which did take slightly longer than usual due to that it had been a multiple room booking giving info about car parking, where to take morning breakfast and the end of food service times and wishing for your party to get the most suitable rooms.

When you guys came down for food at 10 to 9 the chef was just about to close the kitchen but we were still taking orders.

If you had allowed us the opportunity although the Curry of the day didn’t not meet you 2 friends specific dietary issue which you did not state on the Trip advisor review, I would gladly have compiled a list of dishes suitable for your needs without any difficulty.

The bathrooms are not covered in mold and mildew.

The Zoo bar vest’s are promotional garments our staff wear through the summer in order to promote the new bars and lounge areas. The girls wear the vest’s as it is more comfortable for them to wear during very hot periods the rest of the time they wear Molesworth T shirts.

I would not allow them to wear the shirts if I thought they were distasteful.

During breakfast again because of the Gluten intolerance, we did the best to accommodate your needs cooking bacon instead of the ham just in case gluten had been present.

David assisted one of your group to print off her travel documents before departing.

We were here to help to rectify any issues at all times during your visit as we are with all our guests.

Overall we would ask you to reconsider your Trip advisor review due to the damaging affect it can have on the business to which we have put so much effort to improve and continue to do through a rolling program of improvement over the last four months.

Travelers are raving about these Wadebridge hotels

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We popped into The Molesworth Arms Hotel for a bite to eat as a last resort as we did not have any recommendations for anywhere in the town. We were really pleased with the quality and service of the food. The risotto was really delicious and red hot. The waitresses were fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. If we were staying another night in Wadebridge I would definitely return for their home baked brick oven pizzas. A fabulous place with a good atmosphere. Diane and Peter from Staffordshire.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dwarren2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned from a 4 day trip. The hotel was good and very clean overall. Ideal location to visit other parts of Cornwall. Continental breakfast had a lot of choice and the staff were friendly enough. The only downside was the car parking area, but I am fussy about where I park my car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pontywaun
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to Cornwall to pick a puppy at nearby Rock. Found this hotel by luck and we where very impressed with the rooms (We had a family room number 16). Very clean and spacious. We had food at the hotel in the evening and it was perfect. Impressed with the breakfast (Included in room price) as well good selection. (Or you could order full english and plenty more at a additional cost)
Going back to pick out puppy up in a few weeks and already booked to stay again, Hope this helps!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jiffy58
Belfast
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our room was situated at the back of the building and was light and spacious. En suite double, with tea/coffee. The room provided everything we needed for our one night stay.

We stayed on a Monday night so the bar was quiet, so no noise from the courtyard outside. Breakfast was continental style, served in the bar area, and there was a good choice of cereal, yogurt, cheese, ham, bread etc. I believe that cooked breakfast was available at additional charge but we were not offered this. Also the cleaner mopping and hoovering the bar area as we ate breakfast was a bit off-putting.

Central location with outside seating area. We enjoyed a cool pint of cider in the evening and a few nibbles from the bar menu. Felt the nibbles were a bit overpriced for what you got, but the full menu looked very good.

Overall a pleasant experience and we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadebridge
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 1 in Washaway
The Cornish Arms
The Cornish Arms
#1 of 1 in Pendoggett

Been to Molesworth Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!