“What a shame... there isn't a "zero" rating!”

Porteath Bee Centre
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What a shame... there isn't a "zero" rating!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The fact that the owners of this attraction can even consider charging an entry fee is pretty disgusting, I’m afraid.

I am a beekeeper myself, so didn’t expect to be bowled over by the place, but after a brilliant visit to the Quince Honey Farm a day or two earlier, I maybe went with high expectations.
What a let-down. I could open my shed at home and have a more impressive and interesting attraction.

I wandered through the gift shop and looked in the “Bee Supplies” room, which was unusual for a place like this to have – as a beekeeper myself, this was quite interesting – but I had only been in there for a couple of minutes before I was ushered out. Apparently this area wasn’t for the mere public…although I was supposed to know this somehow without any signage to indicate it wasn’t an extension of the shop.

The shop was quite reasonable, a nice selection of bee-related goods – but I am afraid the “exhibition” upstairs was abysmal.

If you’re in the area, PLEASE, do yourself a favour, and visit the Quince Honey Farm instead.

Visited August 2012

• Hebrew first
Polzeath, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Its a shame but it is rubbish!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Enough said - very unfortunate in these difficult times but this place is so lame, I have never heard anyone say anything good about it, I'm amazed it's still going, Dull and boring.

York, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“loved this little attraction,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

an interesting hour spent out of the relentless rain that morning, good shop, great cafe and very interesting people around to answer questions.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wouldn't go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stopped off for cream teas etc. this week on our way back from Polzeath. Had one cream tea, two cold drinks, one cappuccino, one mocha and a piece of cake. Was only about £12 so not expensive at all. But a microwaved scone, my pet hate. Advertised as puro coffee but didn't taste at all like it. Intact not an overly nice cup of coffee. But the honey and ginger cake, obviously home made was nice. Only went for tea. Didn't visit exhibition. Children did make a beeswax candle which was only a £1. Tea room is up a very narrow very steep staircase.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Shocking!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Visited the Bee Centre Cafe last week - it was shocking!! The cafe was dirty with dead flies everywhere. We did want to have a cake, but when we saw the place, we decided to play it safe with a coffee and cold drinks. The coffee was disgusting. It certainly needs a good clean and refurbishment.

2 Thank Vikki F