“Great little hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Gaverne
London, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night whilst walking the S.W. coast path. Over the last couple of year's I've stayed at a range of places along the North Devon and Cornwall coast and this is by far the best I've come across in terms of location, quality of service and attractiveness of accommodation.

Had no real complaints at all: rooms are furnished to a high quality, the bar downstairs an attractive warren of hidden alcoves and friendly staff, and the evening views are stunning. I found the food perfectly good - fish and chips in the evening arrived promptly and was delicious and, despite other comments I've read about the modernity of the breakfast offering, the grapefruit segments and salmon and scrambled egg were perfection itself.

Definitely somewhere I'll be returning to.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Really hope the rest of your walk went well and you managed to get a few more miles under the belt, at least you have now walked some of the most strenuous parts of the SW Coast Path!
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for the lovely review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for Sunday lunch and was greeted by friendly staff. Lunch was very enjoyable, I can't really fault it, nice location, good food.
My only criticism would be that when we looked at the web site, it gave the impression of a very expensive hotel with meals that were overpriced. I think maybe the website may put off potential customers who did not know the hotel. Also the price of the Sunday roast is not mentioned anywhere on the site. Making you think it too is going to be overpriced...Lunch was 9.95ph.for 2 courses ..About right for a pub lunch.

Don't be put off by some of the one star reviews etc..give it a go..we enjoyed it..

• Stayed June 2013
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are very aware that our website is almost too good! We do understand that it could be misleading and we are in the process of changing it to reflect the true charm of the hotel.......
Thank you for pointing out that the Sunday lunch price is not on the site - I will get on to it today!
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We have eaten here a number of times and it has always been very good, however on our last visit the food could have been better. The hotel dining room has ample room, clean starched linen, the polish has been out and every thing is fine. Service is excellent, swift but not overbearing.
The food however is not up to the previous visits standard. Nothing to complain about but I do not think that the cook put any effort into his work. Considering the prices it should not be writing this.
Talking to a friend about our visit his thoughts after a recent meal there were the same as mine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We have passed on the message to our chefs and we will review this situation. We really try to maintain high standards consistently and this was obviously one occasion that we have let a guest down.
We do hope that it has not put you off coming back.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed for four nights last week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The weather was fantastic which always helps and it was great to sit and watch the sun set over the bay. We have always found the staff very polite and helpful and its great that the dog was also made to feel at home. Should you stay on a Wednesday there is the pub quiz to enter which is a great way of meeting new people and not taken terribly seriously. Room 18 is great as there is a balcony outside and its a good size. The food is fine although I do slightly agree about the previous comments re breakfast. All in all if you want to stay in an unspoilt part of Cornwall this is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lizzieboo186376
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for finding the time to give us a lovely review. We are really pleased that you had a good time and take on board the comments about the breakfast.
Hope to see you again soon.
Worksop
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were staying nearby and booked the table in The Snug for a bar meal on 28 May. We were advised that food was not served until 6.30 so duly booked the table for this time. When we arrived we found that the table was ours until 8.00 pm which was fine as we expected to be finished by then. One of our party of seven went to the bar to order at 6.30 to be informed that did we realise that 10 orders had been taken before us. We explained that we had booked and were told that food was served from 6.30. No one informed us that you could order in advance of this! When I arrived I set up a tab at the bar. My son went to the bar to order drinks at 7.00pm. He came back and informed me that the bar staff needed to see my credit card. I went to the bar and was told that they would need to put my credit card in the till. Mindful of the advice about card cloning I informed them that I was not prepared to put my card in the till. I was then informed that the pub was really busy and they were concerned that I may leave without paying as this had happened before. This incensed me. I am expected to trust them with my credit card against all advice, but they are not prepared to trust me! I told them that I would not be leaving without paying and that they could not have my card. At 7.30 the meal arrived. We decided not to have a dessert because the next party would be arriving at 8.00 pm and the meal had been so stressful that we did not want to be involved in any more conflict. We were sat opposite the kitchen door. It appeared the Staff serving were worried about presenting new orders for the chef and were asking each other to take them in. Everything was rushed and staff were generally inefficient. The lack of staff on a busy evening meant that it took me 15 minutes queuing at the bar to finally pay my bill. Just because you are in a beautiful location and have a lovely pub particularly if you are only having a drink does not mean you should take for granted occasional holiday makers and expect that they will put up with poor and disrespectful service.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank shepherdshey
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for all your valued comments, we have learnt a lot from them and will take steps to ensure that all the staff are singing from the same hymn sheet.
We do appreciate your comments and are sorry that you had a stressful evening.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Something of a curate's egg of a place this. Fantastic position. Amiable, unpretentious staff. Good beers. The breakfast, however, is like stepping back in time. Stewed prunes. Tinned grapefruit segments. Tupperware boxes full of cereal. The kitchen also seems rather too fond of its microwave, hence partly cold fish pie and anaemic scrambled egg! None of which detracts from the location and the eccentrically charming rooms overlooking a sun which, in high summer, sinks smack into the bay.....

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank oldgumble
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
OK, we put our hands up, you are quite right, we do need to update our breakfast service! Thank you for kick up the bum!
We are really pleased that everything else was good and hope to see you again soon.
suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were staying in a cottage in Port Gaverne for the week, and very much enjoyed our visits to this lovely pub, just a few minutes stroll away. My husband particularly enjoyed the Betty Stoggs, and for me a shandy with Trelawney bitter. There were some lovely sunny evenings, and it was great sitting outside and watching the sun go down over the sea.

One night the Boscastle Buoys sang and it was such a great atmosphere! The place was packed. All collections for charity. The food was reasonable and delicious. It seems to be a real pub for the locals and dogs, and also welcomes visitors. It really made our holiday, coming home after a long day sightseeing, and then popping over for a drink.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, you obviously had a great time in Port Gaverne! Do come back and see us soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Gaverne
Camelot Castle Hotel
Camelot Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Tintagel
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews

Been to Port Gaverne Hotel? Share your experiences!