“Great site, not for the feint hearted........”
Review of Dernwood Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heathfield
Dernwood Farm
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Great site, not for the feint hearted........”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Booked in for a three night stay using their very good website, had a friendly and helpful greeting and the shop even though small packed enough basics to make me smile, the farm produce is frozen so ensure you take time to allow it to defrost, it's worth the wait, great produce. Everyone seems to moan about he walk to the site, yes it's a pain but sort of fun, took me 4 hours to set up and I was knack erred, and already dreading the return trip, but once set up I was happy, very nice setting basic flush toilets and mains water on tap, woods were great to explore and clearly lots of children have had a lot of fun their. I had a young dog a five and an almost two year old with my partner, we thought the kids would love it but clearly hey we're to young to appreciate the site and were more mischief than happily playing, after two days we had enough and packed up and went home. Shame really at that age I would have been in my element on this site, i I fear that we will have to continue our stays on the multi function/entertainment sites that i hate to keep the kids happy. However we will be back when they are a littl older, great site plenty of room, good shop and well priced, the trip to the site? Make of it what you will i took to much stuff so I paid the price, will only pack one pair of pants next time!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Heavynight

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just had a little family mini break to Dernwood Farm!
We were greeted by the lovely family who took care of everything we needed at the bat of an eye. Very warm, friendly and approachable.
A truly beautiful setting and we wish we could have stayed longer.
Our children are 9+13 and had a great time barrowing our gear down to the bell tent. It was hard work...for a whole ten minutes, but still very manageable as the weather was dry during the daytime. We really enjoyed the lack of traffic congestion and noise that it brings. Tranquillity!
We would definitely recommend the steak from the farm shop, a magnificent flavour!
Highly recommended. You must try it. Don't be put off if your children are smaller. Ask for help when you get there if you think you would really find it too much, because once you are set up on the site you will have a brilliant time!! Had I known about it before I would have brought my children from a small age. TRY IT!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sam C
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed in the Oak tent for 3 nights, wished we had booked more. Lovely setting wandering around the the woods. Stayed with a 5 yr old and 1 yr old and managed the walk from the car park with the buggy ( bit bumby but manageable). Sun shone on the camping field and bell tents all day. Cooked meat from the farm shop (frozen so buy in the morning to defrost by evening) cant wait to go again. The walk to from the car and to the toilet and tap areas is all part of the fun of camping for us. See you soon dernwood farm

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Heather B
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a bell tent for 4 nights and ended up spending an extra night in the safari tent.
If you like the great outdoors and getting back to nature and the simple things in life you will love this place. Peace and quiet and a great nights sleep.
We loved the bell tent and the safari tent is a touch of luxury.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Douglasbader999
brighton and hove
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have to be honest and say that I disagree with the previous reviewer with regards to the accessibility of this site.

we stayed for a weekend's camping and had a fantastic time despite mixed weather (rain on arrival).

when we stayed our kids were 3 and 18 months old and just loved the walk through the woods and the huge space to run around in once in the camping field.

We chose this site because it is tucked away within a wood so we loved the idea of our kids being able to run around without fear of cars getting in the way.

My husband was meeting us at the site after work so I arrived on my own with the kids and got all our stuff to the camping field on my own with the kids without too much hassle. Okay so it certainly wasn't as easy as just driving up to your pitch and unloading but that is the point about this site and apart from a few cross words it wasn't a big issue. it took a couple of trips through the wood to get our stuff all to the field but it was a lovely walk.

The only thing I was annoyed about was that the barrows provided by the site were pretty knackered and I did feel they should have provided more.

Once in the field it is such a lovely setting that you really can relax and really feel away from everything.

if the weather is terrible then the access to the site would be a problem but otherwise please don't let it put you off as it is worth the walk!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rachelstephens
Shepperton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just got back from a weekend at Dernwood Farm, a lovely site with very helpful owners who do lots make sure you have a good stay. The woodland was amazing, and it really is in a beautiful part of the Sussex countryside. We took our 3 year old, and we realised soon after arriving he's just too young for the setting. Firstly the trek through the wood with our gear on a muddy path, a good 10 minutes from the car park with a 3 year old and a dog was not a great experience. The upside though is that the kids can run about without any fear of being mown down by a car, but the stress of the journey to and fro with all the gear on set up and going home far outweighed the pros of having no cars on the site. For a family with older kids who can help out with those woodland trips it would obviously be much easier. Being a family site also meant there were a lot of kids up at dawn playing in the woods behind us, so if you want some true peace and tranquility head over to the far corner away from the woods where you're less likely to hear them! Facilities were sparse, just two toilets in a tin shed (although very clean) for the whole site, and a sink with cold running water. The shop was great and the burgers we bought there were amazing, as were the sausages - but by the time we got there all the had left was frozen meat which was pretty useless for us - get there early if you want the defrosted meat or plan to buy frozen and defrost overnight, it is worth the wait. The electricity pylon buzzes away in the background, but it soon blends into the background and isn't detrimental to the lovely setting of the site. The woods are truly glorious, and the kids have made camps and dens - so walking through them is pretty magical. The lack of showers isn't a huge issue, but for a longer stay you'd definitely need them . We used the swimming pool at Hailsham to get our hot shower, which isn't too far in the car. All in all, a nice site for families with older kids (8+) who are prepared to help out with trudging the kit back and forth. We'll probably go back a) when our son is older and b) when they have the showers fitted!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank belltentcamper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

You really have to have the right frame of mind for this, be prepared to get stuck in and embrace nature. Our 2 nights of wild camping started very beautifully as my husband surpised me at the Farm's shop with a prearranged champagne hamper. So as he put all of our stuff onto a wheelbarrow, I had the hamper on one arm and our little dog on the other we made our way through the muddy path in the woods led by one of the Farm's dogs who showed us where the field was! Lovely, so we set ourseleves up. Not crowded at all, everyone spread out, lots of small kids playing games in the field, lovely memories for them and us too. Nothing like a real camp fire. My tips are PACK LIGHT AS POSSIBLE! DO YOU HEAR ME! otherwise you'll regret it as you'll get tired going back and forth to the car.
Use the wheelbarrows, if you use the trolleys - pull them, don't try pushing them.
Bring your wellies!
Be prepared to rough it, there is nothing luxourious about washing your dishes in cold water or going to the loo in a shack.
Try to relax once you are there, everything will be ok! If all else fails go to the wonderful six bells pub in Chiddingly for a meal and some warmth before you brave going back to the field, kids and dogs welcome there ;)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sas K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heathfield
Travelodge Hellingly Eastbourne
#1 of 1 in Horam
Thimbles
Thimbles
#2 of 7 in Heathfield

Been to Dernwood Farm? Share your experiences!