“Really nice”
Review of The Gun

The Gun
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gun is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Heathfield
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: When walking on the Wealden Way we recommend taking the time to discover The Gun, an atmospheric pub-restaurant on the outskirts of Heathfield, East Sussex. This fifteenth century pub is full of period charm and countryside comfort, the interior carefully decorated to create light and space, bringing a touch of the modern to ancient bare bricks, wood panelling and stripped back flooring with simple, elegant but robust furnishings. An extensive landscaped garden is perfect for families, providing play equipment for children while maintaining the peace and quiet of a true country retreat. At The Gun���s bar, you���ll find all manner of well kept real ales as well as a wide selection of quality wines, while the food menu is celebrated locally for its great pies, seasonal game dishes and continental specialties, all created using locally sourced, fresh produce. Whether a snowy winters day or a hot summer evening, The Gun has a perfect atmosphere to suit, indoors or out, for dinner or just a few drinks and a bite to eat.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Booked a prosseco afternoon tea which was lovely, there was 4 of us. Booked with a travelzoo voucher so better deal, very good value. Had a good selection of brushetta followed by cakes and scones. Would highly recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Carrie H

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments and hope to see you soon for some more Tea treats!

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for The Gun

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just visited the gun for the first time and will certainly go back. Had afternoon bubbly tea with some friends as my birthday treat . Delicious food and lovely countryside all around. Staff very helpful, so much so that they made us fresh eclairs for tea.You don't get that kind of treatment many places!

Sue C

Dear Sue,

Thank you so much for your feedback , delighted you enjoyed the experience and the éclairs!

Best wishes

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went recently, with my parents, for my Birthday lunch.

Wonderful selection on the menu. My father ordered the steak and guiness pie, my mother the artichoke salad, and I requested the burger, with bacon and cheese...

However, when I ordered my burger I asked for it to be cooked Medium. I was told that the burger could only be served "well done" since they were pre-cooked. For the price being charged, I would have expected something home made and cooked to order. However, I decided to continue with my order and was most disappointed with what was served...a tiny buyer, almost lost under the small slice of bacon and cheese that had been put on top. Usually when I order burgers, in restaurants, I request that no bun be served, since the meat is usually filling enough...I was glad that I had the bun!! The plate was filled with very tasty chips (again, something I usually ask NOT to be served, but was glad I didn't) and some salad.

A ridiculous amount of money to spend on such a small, badly seasoned, piece of meat. Very disappointing.

My father's pie was a big let down too...in fact he sent it back, because it was "tasteless" and very very watery. The addition of a stock cube to the ingredients might well have helped. I'm surprised the chef hadn't tasted this before cooking. Presentation was excellent. Delivery poor.

My mother's salad was again, very expensive for the ingredients included.

To be fair to the lady running the restaurant, she handled our disappointment in a very professional manner, and I thank her for that. My father's pie was refunded and a discount given towards the cost of the burger. Thank you to her, for that.

Overall, it was a very disappointing birthday lunch, which is a shame, since we have eaten there in the past and it was very nice.

I cannot help thinking though, that if an establishment is going to charge top restaurant prices then they should deliver on quality, without exception...

2  Thank Craig B

Dear customer,

Thank you for posting your feedback on trip advisor and I am sorry the experience was not up to your expectations.

By law, we are required to cook all minced meat well. We would be breaking the law by serving medium well burgers. I can assure you our burgers are in no way pre cooked and can only assumed the comment was misunderstood whilst the order was taken.

Please feel free to contact me at events@elitepubs.com, should you wish to return to the Gun, I would be very happy to look after your reservation personally in view to restore your faith in our pub.

With kind regards

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had lunch here on Monday 6 May and although it was extremely busy they were so welcoming and friendly. There are a lot of choices on the menu. The food was very good. We ordered Roast Pork with all the trimmings, Roast Beef with all the trimmings, Fish and Chips, and parnsip soup. Everything taste great and the prices were very reasonable. Would definately recommend The Gun.

Dear Sunday lunch visitor,

Thank you for your lovely comments and we hope to see you soon at the Gun.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 23, 2013

just visited the gun this afternoon for an afternoon tea, it is our first visit for years but we won't be leaving it too long before we visit again, the afternoon tea was purchased through a travelzoo deal and did not expect what we got, it was delicious and well presented, various lovely open sandwiches, scones and a selection of cakes, a pot of tea and a glass of prosecco each, and very friendly and attentive staff, we also took a look at the menu and there is an array of mouth watering dishes available which we shall be trying in the near future, all in all a lovely afternoon at a lovely pub in a lovely location

Aline K, Events at The Gun, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to our prosecco Afternoon tea... and I am delighted you enjoyed it.

See you soon at the Gun,

Best wishes