“Excellent break”

Ranked #15 of 27 North Berwick B&B and Inns
Alva, United Kingdom
“Excellent break”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Just back from a weekend at Drem, I was with my husband and some friends. What a fabulous place. The food, rooms and surroundings were excellent and Marlene and Hugh couldn't do enough for you. Fresh strawberries from the garden for our fizz.
I can't praise them enough. Would recommend it highly. So handy for the train to North Berwick but not close enough to be disturbed by it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank elmamac

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Worcester
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I was visiting the area for 2 days and this B&B caught my attention - there are hotels in nearby Haddington that are cheaper - indeed, there are B&Bs in the locale that are considerably more expensive ... so this was an "in between" choice in terms of cost. The room I had (there are only 3 rooms) was spacious, fastidiously clean and had a very well finished en-suite bathroom. The view over the gardens was very pleasant; now, alhough Drem railway station is a few hundred metres away ... I was not disturbed at all during my two nights by train noise. The food was wonderful ... freshly cooked breakfasts with a range of local sausages, bacon, free-range eggs and freshly brewed coffee or tea as you wished. The facilities for guests include a beautifully finished very large conservatory for meals and/or stting out with a large comfortable lounge not far away - additionally, the rooms had Digital TV ... so it's easy enough to watch TV from the comfort of your room too.

As I had travelled 6+ hours to get there and not knowing the local area I plumped for an evening meal (an additional £25) ... when I booked, I thought that this was a bit steep ... however, considering the three courses of food I was served, it turned out to be an absolute bargain. The hostess runs an outside catering business and the superb quality of food (lobster bisque, herb crusted rack of lamb, sticky toffee fondant pudding on the first night) would have cost £40-50 in a restaurant .. so, as a 'foodie', I quickly booked myself in for an evening meal the second night!

This B&B comes highly recommended - I would not hesitate to go back there - indeed, I look forward to the next time my brother is racing at East Fortune as I will be back there like a shot. I do not normally write these reviews but felt compelled to on this occasion, if only to reflect the honest endeavour of the host and hostess and the quality of the facilities. Without wishing to sound presumptious - I also know what to look for ... in that my mother is a classically trained cook, my grandfather was a master butcher, my uncle ran his own 23-bed hotel in the highlands and I have lived, and travelled, home and abroad enough to spot good from bad.

Drem is close to Edinburgh - trains leave as early as 6.30am if you want a long day in the city ... also, it is 4 miles from North Berwick (which has a charm all of its own) and 4 miles from the Scottish Museum of Flight and East Fortune Racing Circuit (both situated at the former RAF base East Fortune - both the subject of my stay up in East Lothian).

All in all - couldn't fault the place - one of the most relaxing 48hrs of my life!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Berlin
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We spent three nights in the farmhouse in Sept. 2009 and this is a lovely place. Marlene is such a great host and the breakfast room is the nicest we have been in in Scotland, We had a great time and highly recommend the house.

Drem is a good area to stay. Good and fast train connections to Edinburgh and a lot of real great golf courses within 30 mins.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed July 4, 2009

What a beautiful home this is, the room we had was immaculate, the bed very comfortable and the location was breath taking.
Will def. be going again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed at Drem over the New Year period for a week, and it was absolutely great. Just a short drive (approx. 30min) to Edinburgh city centre on the motorway to the Hogmany street party from which we made a quick exit back to the quiet countryside.

Marlene was a great host, making sure we had everything and even joined us with a bottle of bubbly with her hubby to bring in the NY. The farm is everything you would expect, horses included and the surrounding area is great for a country drive, winding roads are a little hairy, but once you get to the little town its worth it. The beach is lovely too.

The accomodation is comfy and cosy with everything you need and their is a local tesco in town.

Would definetly go back to Drem!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Scotland
Reviewed November 16, 2006

Loved the whole experience, beautiful rooms, Marlene & Hugh are great hosts, wonderful garden setting. Close to loads of golf courses, beaches, horse=-riding and train to city, it had everything for us. We shall be back and highly recommend exceptional breakfasts, catering for all tastes.

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy, so much to do and see from here, good restaurants nearby, taxis no problem.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kiwimo
Manchester
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My partner and I have just returned from friends wedding in North Berwick and we stayed at Drem Farmhouse B & B. The room was excellent and the food was great, a different cooked breakfast every day. It is a family run place and the host Marlene could not have been more accommodating. I highly recommend it for anyone staying in the area.

1 Thank Albert09
The County Hotel
The County Hotel
#24 of 27 in North Berwick
The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse

Been to Drem Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!