“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous...”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Berwick
sutton coldfield
“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous...”
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We have just returned from a weekend at the Marine hotel. The hotel is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel to go to Edinburgh to the in wonderful shops! The peace and tranquility of the hotel was amazing especially as I was sat in the fantastic outside hydropool when it was minus 5 outside... pure heaven!
The restaurant and bar food was to die for...
Breakfast- a feast enough food to last all day, absolutely delicious and the variety of choices could suit anybodies tastes.
Dinner in the restaurant was completely 5 star and I ate the best meal I have ever eaten. The food was beautifully presented and melt in the mouth. The waiter was knowledable and kind enough to recommend a bottle of wine that complemented the meal perfectly. The service was exemplary, even though the restaurant was busy there was a very personal feel.
Facilities were great in the spa...The pool is lovely and impeccably clean. The staff were wonderful, and couldn't do enough for us expaining exactly what to do in the spa.
The Spa is out of this world.
I was completely overwhelmed when I walked into our bedroom. The bed was enormous as was the room, it even had a telescope for star gazing!! It was extremely comfortable and I had some very peaceful nights sleep. Opening the curtains to a frosted view of the golf course and beautiful beach was a brilliant start to the day.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in and I am extremely fussy! It really is the whole package the staff - including the very approchable and warm-hearted manager Mr. Cohen, the beautiful bedrooms, the mouthwatering meals, the romantic walks on the beach, the heaven-like spa, the wonderfully bustly city of Edinburgh in easy reach by car or train. It is truly a gem! When are you going?!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Lahert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Birmingham
Reviewed January 7, 2009

I had the pleasure of visiting the Macdonald Marine in North Berwick on the 2-5 Jan 09 for a close friend's wedding. It was my first time there and I will certainly be going back. This is a hotel with very high standards - from the decor to the staff. It is welcoming and warm without being stuffy. The manager Seamus Coen oversees everything with an eagle eye but he also works alongside his staff too - Seamus and his staff made the whole wedding group feel very welcome and special. The food was fantastic. Breakfast each morning was very tasty and had plenty of choice. The beach in front of the hotel is great for a morning walk and the views are brilliant. All in all a very special hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
Brighton
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Having taken on a new business recently I had to work over the Christmas and New Year period so decided to take my partner away for a few days before work resumed on Monday.

As we only had a short break available to both of us (Thursday 1st - Sunday 4th) we decided not to travel too far from home and chose Edinburgh as neither of us had ventured there before. The choices available to us within our budget were central Edinburgh or North Berwick, now not having been there before I thought that central Edinburgh would be better but then I saw the reviews about the Marine Hotel and Spa and thought that I would enquire further.

I contacted the hotel prior to booking and asked them what cost I would expect when getting a taxi form the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Edinburgh centre. I was greeted by a very nice person who immediately told me that from the airport it would be approximately £50-£60 pounds and into Edinburgh it would be £40 pounds. This would make my trip very expensive so decided to hire a car for 4 days for a total of £65 pounds!!

When we arrived at the hotel on Thursday evening about 6 o'clock it was very dark but even then the hotel looked very nice from the outside. Once inside the hotel seemed very nice and exceptionally clean and proceeded to check in. We met Laura the receptionist who was very happy and eager to help and offered us our room (206). I mentioned to Laura that I had seen wonderful photos out towards the sea from the rooms at the back of the hotel and asked if ours was one of these, she replied that ours was unfortunately not as we only had a standard double but would try to relocate us over the weekend if we wanted but the hotel was full due to 2 weddings happening. I told her that I was happy and just trying my luck but was impressed with her trying to accommodate my request.

When we entered our room we were very pleasantly surprised with the size and quality, we knew it was a very good choice of hotel!! After unpacking and relaxing we ventured down to the bar before eating. On arriving we found that the restaurant was full so were told that we could eat from the bar menu in the bar. No problem as we were quite impressed by the bar area so ordered a tuna steak and beer battered haddock. The tuna steak was very large and tasty but the Haddock in beer batter, FANTASTIC!!

We woke early the next morning and went down for breakfast, it was then that we noticed the view to the back of the hotel, Beautiful!! There was a golf course then beach, it was like a postcard. After breakfast my partner went to the gym and not wanting to over do things on my break I decided to have a swim and try out the various saunas and steam rooms. All were exceptional and I came out feeling revitalised. After walking into North Berwick and sampling a few of the local bars and a restaurant (Fly Half - great food and shows the football) we returned home for an early night as Edinburgh beckoned.

Having spoken to one of the locals the previous evening he advised us to get the train into Edinburgh as driving would be difficult. We purchased our return tickets for £5.50 and six stops later we were in Edinburgh. We did all the touristy things but found the castle the best, very informative and educational. Again the bars beckoned but this time we were met not by the inviting charm of the Marine or North Berwick we were met by the least caring people possible but coming from a touristy destination ourselves (Brighton) we just took it with a pinch of salt. After a couple of beers we decided to do one of the many ghost tours under Edinburgh which again was enjoyable and informative. Finally finished off with Japanese Teppanyaki and the 10:00 train back to North Berwick.

Our final day Sunday, boo hoo, we were due to check out at midday but as our flight was not until the evening I spoke to Laura and asked if it was possible to check out later and without hesitation she said no problem is 5 o'clock ok? We then had massages (again excellent) and a very relaxing day including lunch (again at Fly Half as football was on).

All in all a wonderful experience and one that I would like to do again and again and again..............................................................

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed two nights on a DB&B special offer break (£340). A beautiful hotel on the outskirts of North Berwick, close to the beach and golf course. Very nice room, flat screen TV, tea/coffee, bathroom goodies, bathrobes, lovely and warm. Our room, 126, was beside a fire door, which banged every time anyone went through. Bought some blu-tack, that stuck to it and ear-plugs sorted the problem.
The food was excellent, but the helpings were rather small, a dish of extra veg would have gone down a treat. The cheapest wine was about £20 a bottle. For anyone on B&B, the dinner was £35 per head + £3.85 for coffee. Breakfast was very good, with a good selection of fresh fruit, cereals, juice, English and Continental selection.
The staff were very well trained, if you asked for something it came, they didn't have to be reminded. They were all pleasant, and went out of their way to make sure we had a lovely stay.
The lounge area was cosy with a real fire, really welcome after a freezing cold walk on the beach.
A super leisure club with 18 metre pool, an out-door hot tub.
We had a lovely stay, and will return.

• Liked — luxurious and cosy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed at the Macdonald Marine Hotel in July 2008 and had
a lovely time. On arrival the reception staff dealt with things promptly and made us feel very welcome, including our four legged friend! We were really impressed with our large room with four poster bed and fabulous views over the golf course and to the Firth of Forth beyond. As we had the dog with us it was an ideal location for walks by just crossing the golf course and walking along the beachfront.

On our first night we ate in the Craigleith Restaurant and found the food to be of very high standard. The Links Bar was also nice for some relaxation later in the day. Breakfast was
part-buffet style with fresh fruit, cereal and pastries. All again
to a high standard.

While staying at the hotel we use the spa facilities, certainly worth a visit. From the saltwater hydro pool (it also has an outdoor part) to the various different saunas, steam rooms
and showers, a lovely place to unwind.

An added touch was when we met Seamus Coen (the General Manager) as he knew we had our dog with us and wanted to make sure we were all receiving the best hospitality.

North Berwick is a lovely town with lots of small, different shops. Its about a 10- 15 minute walk from the hotel to the town along the seafront. We also visited some of the neighbouring towns and beaches, worth a visit.

Overall, we will certainly return to the Marine Hotel as we had a lovely relaxing break in some beautiful surroundings.

• Liked — The location!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We love the Marine Hotel; the setting is exquisite with views over the West Links to the Firth of Forth. Unfortunately in the past the staff haven't lived up to the granduer of the hotel, but the new manager has seen to that. Seamus Coen has turned the Marine around and the staff are a credit to him. I recommend this hotel now to everybody I speak to. A piece of heaven on earth!

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — The time it takes to get there!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
Reviewed August 17, 2008

This trip was a while ago now but we still have loads of happy memories. We had a lovely room with a sea view and although not huge, it was more than adequate for two. Room service staff were excellent and nothing seemed like too much trouble. We had breakfast on both mornings and it was always to a very high standard. There did seem to be people around us who had some niggles but all of our meals were really nice. Our dinner off the set menu was terrific, although it did suffer from small-portion syndrome. Overall though, a lovely hotel with lots of character.

• Liked — The surrounding areas and the spa
  • Disliked — Bar prices
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews
Ducks Inn
Ducks Inn
#1 of 1 in Aberlady

Been to Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!