“Very Good but pricey”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Berwick
Prestwick
“Very Good but pricey”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights here and overall were fairly satisfied. Service good and accommodation excellent but pricey for what was on offer. Food good but not in keeping with prices. £32 for a Fillet Steak plus £2.75 for a sauce or £27 for Catch of the Day is another example of rip-off Britain. No wine cheaper than £25 per bottle also. I believe prices are unwarranted but overall enjoyable break.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get room overlooking Firth of Forth
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
OpsMgrMarine, Manager at Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear mlcwPrestwick,

Thank you for your feedback and that you enjoyed your 3 day break. Sorry to hear you felt we were pricey, the Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa is part of the 'signature collection' of Macdonald Hotels & Resorts and source local, fresh produce to uphold exceptional quality throughout all our outlets.

I do hope you will consider us or any other Macdonald Hotel for your next break away.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Shawnee, Kansas
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Spent 3 fabulous nights here. Definitely get an oceanfront room. The room was spacious on the second floor with great view of water. The bathroom was very nicely renovated. Had dinner in the restaurant one night and was very good. The prices were appropriate for the food quality and atmosphere. Other reviews complained about wine prices but they seemed in line with what I paid all over the United Kingdom and especially considering the setting. Also thought the spa was great and well worth the 80£ for hour and half treatment. Sauna staff could not have been nicer. No wifi available in our room (211) despite advertising that it was available. Front desk acted surprised by this but I am sure they knew it did not reach the rooms at end of building. Walk along golf course and oceanfront path to town was wonderful. Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Second or third floor ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jray2012,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marine. Wifi is now free at the Marine across all areas of the hotel and this was installed late September. I appreciate the feedback with your room's wifi to which it's now rectified.

We pride ourselves on our produce and to create a welcoming atmosphere; delighted to hear you agree.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are dated, small & lack water pressure. We sated at three different MacDonald hotels. It was consistent that the hotels are well located, but very old & need updating. One elevator in all hotels that didn't always go to your floor. Luggage moving was a issue. Always one bell hop.

I could pee harder than the water pressure at the marine, rusacks and Hollywood. Staff tried to be accommodating, but wouldn't go the extra mile. not like most hotels in Scotland. They seem to restrict the water at all the hotels. Seriously, water was a trickle at best & cold most busy times.

Breakfast was marginal, slow & staff always seem to be be from a sublet Resturant with little drive or desire to creat that exceptional experience. There is much better hotels chains in Scotland that would love your business.

Stayed September 2013
Dear Mark R,

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time or experience with us. Macdonald Hotels prides itself on the customer journey and by the sounds of things this was overlooked on this occasion. This is not our usual standard of hospitality and apologise for your resultant disappointment.

If you would like to discuss further please drop me a note and I'll be sure to take your points on board for the future.

I thank you for your feedback.

Kate- Brihony Dunnion
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations. Superb location, very friendly and helpful staff. We had a really lovely room, 320, which was in one of the turrets and was huge! with a massive 4 poster bed you just sank into...wonderful. Never had time to try the pool/spa but everything else was spot on. Definitely one to recommend

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
DearFreda S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and the celebration of a 70th birthday!

The room you had was a suite one of our 13 newly refurbished room’s just back in May and they are very special. Delighted the team looked after you from start to finish.

You'll now have to return for some R&R at the spa!

Kate- Brihony Dunnion
Scotland
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Hotel has a good location overlooking North Berwick Golf Course towards the Firth of Forth Estuary with ample car parking which is what you would see from your room if you are not on the "Sea" side of the hotel. Room was fine, not huge but certainly adequate for a short break. We had breakfast in the hotel and it was grand with any "hot" meals coming straight from the kitchen which provided a bit of freshness.

Bar prices were a wee bit steep but as we were dining / socialising elsewhere that night it didn't impact.

We had booked via Expedia and reception did not have a note that it was on B&B basis which seemed odd and had to send them my booking confirmation to validate. Wi-Fi is free in the reception area but you need a password from reception - they omitted to tell sure we needed one !! Only other issue we had was most odd - when you switched on the cold water tap boiling hot water came out of it for a few seconds which I had never come across before seemed to be affecting some other rooms as well; reported to reception and should have it fixed by now?

We used the pool / spa area and thought it was excellent - the spa pool goes outside which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: May be worth paying the extra for a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SammyHo,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the views and the signature Macdonald breakfast!

You will be pleased to hear all maintenance concerns with the water are now rectified, I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Really really loved my stay at this fab hotel. Views over the bay are stunning - go for an early morning walk on the deserted beach. So gorgeous. Golf course looks great if you are into your golf! The spa is really amazing - so many different rooms. Loved the hot pool outside, so relaxing. Dinner was amazing, what a restaurant. Expensive but worth it. Drinks aren't overly pricey. Room was pretty standard, nothing special but the rest of the hotel was breath-taking so forgivable! Recommend having afternoon tea sitting in the main reception room looking out over the view - so special.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room if you can!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nomadNS
OpsMgrMarine, Manager at Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear nomadNS,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and hotel offerings. We have just finished refurbishing the hydro/thermal area in the spa and great to hear our investment is enjoyed by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marine in the near future.

Kate - Brihony Dunnion
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Although quite impressive looking form the outside with very nice coastal views this hotel is in need of serious refurbishment. Inside it looks tired and worn and is not particularly clean. I spent a day at the spa here which included lunch. The spa itself needs some attention. My hands and nails were dirty after being in the thermal pool which has an outdoor section. The only aroma in the aromatherapy relaxing room was wet bodies. The times allocated for treatments and lunch need not have been arranged as they were not adhered to. I waited such a long time to be escorted to lunch and then having been seated at a table from which I had to remove food remnants from a previous customer I waited yet again during which time I was able to take in the shabby surroundings including cobwebs on the ceiling and crumbs and dust on the floor and skirting boards. Actually before I sat down I had to change the seat as it had a huge wet patch on it. I eventually complained about the length of time I had waited before someone took action. When the pre - ordered lunch arrived it was disappointing . I was pretty cold after waiting so long all I wanted to do was go home. This was not the relaxing day I had hoped for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Imev,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review from your spa day at the Marine. It disappoints me to hear you did not enjoy the experience. We have just invested into the spa thermal area and completed an upgrade on 13 executive suites within the hotel. We have received awards for our housekeeping and disappoints me to hear this was not to our usual standard. I would be delighted to talk to you further as customer satisfaction and loyalty is very important to us.

I welcome your call or email at the Marine.

Kate - Brihony Dunnion
#1 of 1 in Aberlady
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews

Been to Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!