“A Golden Occasion”

Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Berwick
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife. and I had our Golden Wedding celebration here. There were about 100 guests. We had a buffet lunch. The food was very good with a large selection including vegetarian. However what was outstanding was the service and organisation. More people turned up than we had booked for and within no time at all an extra table was set up. While you do not expect your guests to be critical the unanimous opinion was that it was an excellent meal. First class organisation.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having just returned from a weekends' stay at the Marine hotel, I couldn't fault them.

The spa and treatments were great and as a large group (hen party) we were given a separate room to enjoy our amazing meal on Saturday evening.

Definitely request a seaview room if you're staying - a great sight to wake up to.

Breakfast is great - excellent selection and can't beat stornoway black pudding!

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My hubby and I chose this for an Easter getaway. Wasn't very impressed with the front of the building and the car park was a bit rough. Once inside the reception area was lovely and the sea-facing views were breathtaking. We had a room on the ground floor with a view of the car park which was a bit disappointing but we didn't pay for a sea-facing room so I guess that's our fault. Room was a decent size and bed was comfortable but it was just 2 singles pushed together which always annoys me. Breakfast was included in our stay, it was tasty but definitely not worth the £17 odd per person it would have cost us- it consisted of toast, 1 sausage, 1 egg, 2 bacon rashers, 1 tomato & 1 mushroom- I would not have been happy had I paid for that. The spa was lovely and the Jacuzzi was sooo warm. It was nice that it had an outdoor section too. There are so many nice walks close to the hotel and the beach was lovely. I would return to stay at the hotel as I did enjoy it but I wouldn't pay full price- I'd try and get a deal.

Room Tip: Get a sea-facing room, the views are breathtaking. You do not want to look out your window to a car...
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed for two nights for our anniversary and chose to pay for the sea view and a larger bed (two twins pushed together!) The view was there, but being on the third floor the bedroom window was a ‘tad’ small to merit sea ‘views’ without leaning out! I felt sorry for the people below as the floor boards were exceedingly creaky. Spacious room with well- appointed bathroom – lovely and clean but as mentioned on other reviews – furniture very tired and chipped. Little storage space for clothes and ended up boiling kettle on floor as no plugs. No free wifi which is disappointing for today’s hotels of this standard – they had also run out of vouchers to purchase and suggested we drive into town to use free wi-fi there - thanks. The spa and beauty salon was exceptional – excellent treatment and our numerous sessions in both the indoor pool and the outdoor thermal suite were exhilarating. This was a big hit – which is more than could be said for the size of the towels. Meals in the restaurant were well presented and delicious with only a couple of niggles here and there – no table cloths for evening meal, stained creased napkins at breakfast, wrong order brought out etc We chose this hotel because of it’s coastal location but it doesn’t compare overall with hotels of a similar specification in which we have stayed over the years. A shame.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 9-10 times in the last 6 years and will not return. The Marine is severely lacking in many ways. The last couple of visits haven't quite met expectations. I used to stay here many many years ago, so nostalgia and lack of any completion in the town kept me coming back. Enough is enough. The MacDonald group and the hotel management really need a kick up the backside. North Berwick really needs another large hotel chain such as Fairmont to ruffle their feathers and offer some competition. Firstly do not book here if you are celebrating any kind of special occasion as they will not acknowledge this. The rooms are tired and shabby. The corridors above the ground floor also need a make over. Room service trays lay for 8 hours in the corridor while I stayed there. The spa is on the "tired" side and needs some updating. My room had chipped furniture and stained carpet. My room also wasn't serviced and I had to call twice to ask for it to be done. The drinks are extremely overpriced in the bar. The food in the restaurant is good and is the only thing that remains consistent in the hotel. Breakfast also excellent. The customer service I experienced was not noteworthy. I write quite a lot of reviews on trip advisor and like to think I am fair. I sadly will not stay here again. If you are looking for a break in Scotland there are many far more superior hotels elsewhere to spend your time and money in.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank EdinburghGraemekidd
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have wanted to stay here for quite awhile, we should have continued to want!. The hotel is well presented, nice reception, lounge etc.. We did get a deal for this hotel, but, that should not make a difference to the standard of service one receives! Terrible service from both hotel restaurant managers, one of our party has food allergys that she spoke by phone and then in person and was assured it was not a problem.......it was!, from being offered defrosted prawns and steak ( that had the least amount of pre-seasoning on it, we know this as they brought out this RAW piece of meat to the table as we were eating our starters!). Our food was nice when we got it, 50mins for starters to come, 40mins for mains. Breakfast was a farce, hair in butter dish, offered jam that other people had already used. Pluses, Kate a waitress in the restaurant was an absolute little star, she should have been in charge, she knew more about customer service than the whole team put together!. Kate, manager of the hotel, admitted the mistakes (many), and tried her best to rectify them, resulting in us only paying for one night instead of two, BUT, I'd rather pay for two nights and have a good stay, than get one night for free and a bad stay. Where we unlucky?, going by the other reviewers, yes, but I'm not prepared to spend my money to try again at this hotel. Too many good 4/5star hotels out there to try!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for a night during the busy Easter weekend. The hotel had a lot of guests but we were greeted by the reception staff and quickly checked in. Our room was at the front of the hotel so not the greatest of views - I guess you pay more for the sea view. It was a very sizeable room though.
After a lovely scenic walk along the coast we headed to the spa. There's a large swimming pool and an outside heated area. There's also a good number of spa rooms; ice room, sauna etc so plenty of facilities to keep you amused.
We ate in the main hotel restaurant in the evening, John Paul. The menu was very impressive and justified its two AA rosettes. A large wine selection complimented the menu. Staff were a little bit wandering at time and there could often be sometime between seeing them. A drink in the bar after dinner was a perfect end to the evening, although prices were a tad on the expensive side for some standard drinks.
We were pre-warned that breakfast could be busy in the morning so had an early start. Breakfast was nice with the a choice of extras to add on for a small charge which considering it's £17.50 per person again seemed a little expensive. The Stornoway black pudding in the fry-up was amazing though.
A word of warning. There's an additional charge to pay by credit card. It's clear on the reception desk so you do know about it but I think considering this is a major hotel chain it's ridiculous to have this charge - especially when our only payments were for drinks and food (we'd pre-paid the hotel stay part). I wonder if we'd just come in for a meal in the evening if we'd have been asked to pay the additional charge?
Look out for deals on the hotel and restaurant as they often are available.

Room Tip: The sea views are amazing so try to get one of these rooms
1  Thank michaelgfindlay
#1 of 1 in Aberlady
Bayswell Park Hotel
Bayswell Park Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dunbar

Been to Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!