“Small but charming cafe within a gallery”
Review of The Orangery

The Orangery
Ranked #24 of 41 Restaurants in North Berwick
Cuisines: British
Edinburgh
“Small but charming cafe within a gallery”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

The gallery lends atmosphere but more could be done with the cafe area. Good range of cakes and snacks but could do more to make its offering distinctive. Looks good for a light lunch, but unfortunately was late afternoon when we visited and menu was quite restricted. Staff friendly but seemed keen to clear up quickly. We will go back as it has potential and does seem to be trying harder than some others in the town.

Visited May 2013
Roy S, Owner at The Orangery, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We do serve our "light lunch" menu up until 4.30 but stop serving hot food after that time and restrict our menu to cakes, etc. It would not be reasonable to serve customers a lunch after that but expect them to wolf it down before we close at 5. Your comments about staff being keen to clear up are noted and I appreciate that this can be feel unwelcoming. We will do something about it!

Lothian
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Lovely choice with a good selection of baking. Offered a choice of magazine as I was on my own. Quick service but not hurried!

Visited July 2013
Falkirk, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Have visited this cafe on a number of occasions. The food is always tasty and I love browsing the lovely gifts, art and cards available. Had the most delicious smoked salmon and prawn salad yesterday and was impressed with the 'layering', which meant that all the 'goodies' were not just on top! The red wine vinaigrette was light and refreshing too. Hubby appeared to enjoy his panini as his plate was completely clear, but I was too busy tucking into my own to ask!

• Visited July 2013
WestgateGalleries, Owner at The Orangery, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments. To thank regular customers like yourself we have introduced a Loyalty Card that can be used throughout the shop and café, so please ask for one next time you are in.
“Fantastic cakes and scones!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We go to The orangery fairly frequently for coffee and have never been disappointed. The cakes are all home-made and absolutely delicious whilst the variety of coffee is outstanding. Staff are welcoming and extremely pleasant. There is plenty to see around the gallery and a wide variety of gifts, cards and jewellery in the shop. Warning, though, don't go there of you are on a diet and weak willed!!!!

1 Thank S H
WestgateGalleries, Owner at The Orangery, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
For those of you on a diet, remember that "a little of what you fancy does you good", so tuck in but stop after the second cake!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Superb service.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visit regularly both to eat in the Orangery and to buy items in the gift shop/gallery. Recently I bought a necklace there. In conversation with Brenda I mentioned that I already had a necklace of the same make but not bought in Westgate Gallery. The colours in the necklace had faded in the sun the previous summer. Not only did she suggest I return it to her...REMEMBER, NOT BOUGHT THERE...but she spoke to the salesman who replaced it for me. Now, that is personal service which one just does not find nowadays.

Visited February 2013