“Best bacons rolls”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I can only make comment on the bacon rolls, but these are the yummiest I have ever had! Also as a regular they give us a wee discount. At less then £2.00 a roll (full price) you can't complain. I have no idea what they do to the bacon or the roll but its yum!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The second time I've visited this place and the first experience wasn't great, though the Cullen Skink soup was delicious so I though I'd give it a second try.

Arrived at 2.15pm on a rainy, windy Sunday afternoon with my wife, 2 young children and teenage son. We we're freezing cold and hungry... and glad to be out of the rain.

Anyway, we were met with a not particularly friendly woman who asked if we were there for drinks? When we said that we were there for food, she said that they had been very busy and that the kitchen had run out of food and was now closed.

Seriously, a restaurant that has no food?

She wasn't even apologetic or embarrassed.

I then remembered my first experience of this place. I took a visiting Japanese friend to North Berwick with the intention of visiting the Rocketeer in the Harbour (he wanted to sample Scottish Seafood). North Berwick was a 3hr round trip therefore checked the website to make sure it would be open (it was May). When we arrived we found that the Rocketeer was closed - really disappointing to say the least. We ended up at a very quiet 12 Quality Street by chance and took our seats. I told the lady that I had promised my Japanese friend some Scottish seafood and she said that they didn't have much food left (it was 2pm in the afternoon) but that they could do some smoked salmon, I said fine, and some time later some disappointing and not very fresh looking salmon arrived. Anyway, when paying the bill I mentioned that we had originally intended to go to the Rocketeer, only to be told that they actually ran that establishment too. She then went on to say that they hadn't bothered opening it that day because it had been raining - wonderful!

2  Thank MRDB67
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stopped here for lunch, not expecting a lot, but the cullen skink and smoked salmon ciabatta were both superb and excellent value. My Illy double espresso wasn't hot, or it would have been 5 stars.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stopped in for lunch after visiting the Scottish Seabird Centre on a day's outing to lovely North Berwick. Whilst we agree with previous reviews that the menu is small we both enjoyed our fish (breaded), tasty chips and side salad. The service was reasonable and the meal fair value. The surroundings were a bit basic but fine for lunch in a seaside town.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch in the restaurant on a trip to north Berwick having eaten there before and enjoying our meal. Again the food was good quality and good value. The restaurant is small but the staff are helpful and pleasant. I would say that i found that there was a slightly limited menu choice but there was enough on it to please the most picky of eaters! The location isn't the best, although it is close to the pier and the beach, and there are no views from the restaurant which is a pity because North berwick is a lovely seaside town. I would definitely go back again when I return to North Berwick!