“Super spot and family friendly!”

The Victoria Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Standing at the gateway to Holkham and the National Nature Reserve, the Victoria is a classic English inn owned by the Coke family and managed by the Holkham estate. There are ten elegant bedrooms, the bar and dining rooms offer a relaxed blend of style and comfort. The “Vic” serves delicious locally sourced food, much of it grown and raised on the estate with a bold emphasis on freshness, simplicity and value. Holkham has been a leading agricultural estate since the 1800’s when Thomas William Coke bought the site and the young Queen Victoria elevated him to the peerage in recognition of his contribution to farming in 1837. The name of the proposed new inn must have been inevitable when it opened its doors in 1838. The Victoria re-opened in Spring 2013 following extensive refurbishment.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went to the Victoria just for drinks and to give our toddlers lunch. It was a delight to be treated so well and the child-friendly offering was super - really tasty cheese on toast for £2 has to be one of the most inspired and best value children's menu dishes I have ever found! It was a windy day and we sat outside so the children could enjoy the garden - when a gust of wind blew a menu up which caused my drink to spill the charming waitress gave us a free refill, and when the heavens opened (typical!) the staff were accommodating trying to find a spot for our brood in their inside space which by that time was packed. All in all, I was really impressed with this venue and its offerings - we passed a group of about 8 horses outside at the end, patiently waiting for their riders who had gone in to quench their thirst, and a children's mini playground - inspired for that after-food energy rush. The inside of the pub looked so elegant and stylish I would have happily gone back for a grown up supper that night. Pubs such as this really deserve their success.

Laurane H, Public Relations Manager at The Victoria Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you from the team at The Victoria for your review on Tripadvisor.

There are newer reviews for The Victoria Inn Restaurant

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've been twice since the refurb and love The Victoria. Great views, style, staff & food. Of course there are always teething problems when a place is relaunched but we experienced no problems on our second visit. I believe there is a new chef & certainly the food was very tasty and much improved. The staff were very attentive, love the new uniforms, very smart. My only request would be I'd like to see a choice of a sharing plate as a starter. Thanks everyone you're doing a great job and we'll be back!

1  Thank stuaris
Laurane H, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for posting your review about the Victoria. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very, very unexciting. Menu lacks imagination and like many previous reviewers the food seemed remarkably tasteless. I couldn't see what the refurbishment had acheived. We were given a table that wobbled alarmingly on its pedestal. The waiting staff were pleasant and efficient but scruffily dressed. Sticky toffee pudding was served in a soup bowl. The ice cream, despite being branded, looked like it had come from the cheapest supermarket range, offered 3 boring flavours only, had obviously been scooped out and kept in a freezer, was served in a cereal bowl. Overall absolutely no panache in either the food or the presentation. We were on a half price deal for the reopening and there is no way we would go back at full price.

Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your meal. There is no excuse for scruffy staff or wobbly tables. The food is brasserie style and simple but it should not be tasteless. I know the Pointens will be dismayed by your comments about the ice cream that they make on their farm. I will discuss your comments with the kitchen.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went on Bank Holiday Monday, and the equipment had failed, this happens and the board said this outside as you walked in and they were only serving pre-booked customers. My complaint is I'm diabetic and had walked 8 miles and was low in sugar, (I do carry hypostop gel should I need it). My wife explained this and asked if they could make me a sandwich, just me not her and they turned her down. If they can serve pre-booked, surely they could have made me a sandwich as a tube of hypostop isn't quite the same for lunch. Disappointed that they couldn't have made an exception. This review won't probably effect their business as there is nothing else around, but come on The Victoria use a bit of common sense, some diabetics don't carry hypostop and could have got into trouble

I am sorry that you were not offered a sandwich. I hope you were directed to the Estate’s café in the adjacent road.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Victoria has long been a favourite of ours for imaginative lunches after a weekend walk in the deer park or on the beach at Holkham. We were quite surprised to see that it closed for re-furbishment in January (we didn't think it needed fixing) so eagerly awaited it's reopening. We decided we'd try the restaurant for an evening dinner with friends to celebrate a birthday. We have eaten dinner in the restaurant before and would certainly describe it as a fine dining experience. On this occaision we certainly didn't enjoy fine dining or fine service. Our pre dinner drinks order was delivered incorrectly, cutlery items were missing from our table and we were served pre dinner bread without side plates. We (and we observed other tables also) had to request side plates. At least our table was large enough for 4 people unlike other round tables nearby that were clearly designed for 2 but 4 diners were squeezed onto them. I'm afraid when our food arrived it could only be described by all of us as bland with the exception of perhaps one of the starters. The asparagus starter was accompanied by a hollandaise sauce that was virtually tasteless and the lamb dish for main course was overcooked and again devoid of any flavour. I'm afraid we had a totally deflating and underwhelming experience and presume the previous chefs are no longer with the Victoria. I'm sure it is early days under the new regime but urge them to at least get back to the standard that was the reason for the high regard in which the Victoria was previously held.

1  Thank CambridgeSandpiper

It is disappointing to read your comments. The Victoria is a busy inn and does not aspire to offer a “fine dining” experience; our aim is to provide simple, brasserie style dishes but the food should not be “bland” or the service sloppy. We must and will try harder.