“A little disappointing”
Review of The Globe Inn

The Globe Inn
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We've been here before for lunch and enjoyed it so much we decided to meet up again with friends for a good old Sunday roast. Although meal was very tasty the beef was tough and disappointing. Such a shame as everything else was good. Also pity on a cold day the fire in the bar was not lit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane W
TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

What a shame your meal didn't live up to your previous visit. I am surprised you found the beef 'tough', not a complaint I have heard before. As to the wood stove not being lit, You're right, unfortunately we had a couple of weeks when we were unable to light it due to its not drawing properly. The problem was fixed and it is lit everyday again, so sorry that your visit was when it was not working.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Popped in for morning coffee today - very pleasant staff - who did us coffee. Very dog friendly - even had posh dog biscuits on the counter. Came back in the afternoon for glass of mulled wine and a mince pie. Both of which were excellent. Sat at the log fire for a while before starting to nod off. Very comfy pub - nice staff, lovely log fire and dog friendly. So much nicer than it was few years ago! Will definitely return for a weekend stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eyedoclondon
TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

We were delighted to read your review and we look forward to welcoming you back when you have time for a stay over a weekend. Many thanks for all the fives!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Globe Inn on Sunday to celebrate my birthday. We paid £75 for bed and breakfast and £50 as a contribution to our evening meal, total £125.

Car parking, absolutely fine in November. We had already park on Buttlands mid morning but moved it right outside the Globe Inn after our walk around Wells in time for check in.

Checking in at 3.20pm after the Sunday lunch rush was very pleasant and hassle free. A short wait to be dealt with but then shown to room 4 by an extremely helpful member of staff (sorry I didn't get any names the whole time we were there) who took our table booking for the evening and generally made us feel very welcome.

The room itself (number 4) is excellent. Just so comfortable. After a long 3.5 hour walk to, from and around Wells Beach it really was needed. We both loved the nice little touches like the mason jar full of sweets and fresh milk kept in a cooler. The room is a nice size, not massive by any means but plenty of room (and storage) for two people and also has an air conditioning unit and a lovely window overlooking the courtyard. The bathroom was super clean with some excellent toiletries and a powerful shower which is amongst the best I have had during our numerous travels. Factor in the lovely peace, we barely heard a noise all night, and overall it was pretty much perfect.

Dinner was superb but will review that on the Restaurant section but I would add at this point that the ambience in the restaurant and bar area really are quite special.

The breakfast is included in the room rate and is a continental buffet with any hot item off the menu. My Wife had the French Toast and I opted for the Eggs Benedict, both were excellent. We also had cereal, toast and some croissants, as well as plenty of OJ and left the room feeling very satisfied.

Back to the room for a quick rest before checking out at 10.30am. As I said at the time, all over too quickly but what a wonderful way to spend 19 hours or so. Highly recommended and I'm sure we will be back again in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ju123

Thank you for your glowing review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed the whole globe experience. The next time you have 19 hours free, do please come and spend them with us again!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Globe has been taken over by new management since our last visit!

First impressions are of a warm welcome, comfortable chairs, and an excellent range of dishes using local suppliers. Chef Adam Green has created an imaginative menu which offers delicious fish dishes including wonderfully plump mussels, smoked Norfolk duck breast and Tempura prawns as starters.

Main courses again feature local favourites including bangers and mash with an onion gravy, a beautifully crafted rack of lamb, grilled fillets of red mullet with a Puy Lentil Casserole. The puddings ( if you have room !) include a delicate Lavender Creme Brulee served with a shortbread round, warmly spiced apple and bramble crumble, a cheeseboard with locally sourced cheeses and home made apple chutney.

The bedrooms look inviting and another time we will certainly book in for the night!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Harpista
TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thanks for the great review, so pleased that you enjoyed our menu to the full. Chef loves this time of year, great produce, strong flavours and a delight to be creating warming, hearty dishes. We look forward to entertaining you again when you come and sample the sleeping arrangements!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

First time visit. Firstly, very impressed by the decor & lighting. Modern, stylish but offering a cosy atmosphere. Staff very polite & professional. The food itself was something of a curate's egg. I had a pork dish with vanilla potatoes & crackling. I guess I knew what I was ordering but I personally that found the vanilla flavour just didn't work with pork. Very strange indeed. Also the crackling was much too hard. However my partner had sea bass, which she found excellent. For dessert I haf a fig & almond tart with cinnamon ice cream . The Tart was good but I struggled to taste any cinnamon in the ice cream. My partner had blackberry, apple & lemon crumble with custard. Blackberry & apple is of course a flavour partnership made in heaven. Why include lemon? In our view the lemon flavour totally swamped & spoiled the dish. The chef is maybe trying just a little too hard to include unusual flavours in his dishes??

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank polypropylene
TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thanks for your review, I have to say straight up that if you read the Globe Inn Restaurant review page, the pork dish with its vanilla dauphinoise is one of the most talk about dishes and every one loves it! I guess it is a personal thing and very much about individual taste. I remember the Head Chef talking about the addition of lemon to the crumble and it was a conscious decision as although blackberries this year are fat and juicy (unlike last year) they are slightly lacking in flavour and the idea of the lemon is to enhance the blackberry flavour. I hope this helps to explain his reasoning.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went there on Wednesday, 25th September. We managed to grab the last car space and were ready to eat! We chanced on The Globe . The menu was extensive but we thought the sandwiches looked good. I had coronatiion chicken and my husband the crab . We also had a pot of chips to share. They were both delicious and well presented. Service was prompt and cheerful. I would go back there again as the food was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B

Lovely to hear that you found us by chance and enjoyed the experience so much, we do hope you will come again and sample that main menu! You're right the staff are cheerful!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a poor food experience in Hunstanton we were desperate for some good food so we took a punt on The Globe after having some great ale and snacks in the bar. The food didn't disappoint and the service was really good despite the restaurant being full. We stayed overnight and found the room to be very comfortable. The only reason I've not given top marks is the room was very hot and the air-con unit was noisy. Overall very good and thanks to the staff, they were really trying hard and to the manager who had everything under control on a very busy night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slipstitch
TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thanks for the nice review, I am glad that we redeemed the north Norfolk coast for you after a bad start to your holiday. I will look into the air conditioning noise and hope that next time we score a perfect 5 with you. I will pass your kind comments on to the team!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells-next-the-Sea
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stiffkey
The Lifeboat Inn
The Lifeboat Inn
#16 of 24 in Wells-next-the-Sea

Been to The Globe Inn? Share your experiences!