“Eton mess with no meringue”

The Bowling Green Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
redcar
“Eton mess with no meringue”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Having visited last year we were looking forward to our meal.The landlady is a happy person who makes you feel welcome.The same can't be said of the waitress who served us.She may have been having an off day but manners and a smile cost nothing.She acted as though she didn't want to be there.The meals themselves were OK but I think over £4 for soup is a lot.It has a very small bread bun with it and the girl bought knives maybe for the invisible butter.The mains were lovely and filling.My other gripe was with the desserts.They are not cheap and I was presented with an Eton Mess without the meringue.£4.95 for strawberries and cream.When I told the waitress she laughed and said oh I forgot the meringue.She then took our mats straight away and cleared the table before we had chance to draw breathe.We felt we had outstayed our welcome.

1 Thank mrsdRedcar

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“the bowling green wells”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The welcome and atmosphere are first rate. The food is excellent and the girls behind the bar work their socks off to make sure you are entirely satisfied. None of your arty farty rubbish.Get yourself there.You wont be disappointed.

northants.England, United Kingdom
“old school pub”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having been to the bowling green to eat several time with friends this was the first time with the wife. We also stopped in the b @ b . This was a very pleasant stay must I say. The food and service was excellent and the staff were very helpful . I would not hesitate in stopping there again . Would recommend this to anyone

Derby, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to eat”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My partner & I went to the bowling green after referral from the owner of the b & b we were staying in. It was busy when we arrived & was told it would be at least half an hour before there would be a table available for us to eat. We said we would wait & ordered a drink whilst we waited. After only a few minutes a table became available. When the food arrived it looked very appetising & tasted good too. I would also like to say that all the staff were very friendly. I would definitely recommend the bowling green.

• Visited September 2013
Abingdon, England, United Kingdom
“Oldie Worldie Pub”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very old pub in Wells, Norfolk. We visited on a Sunday Evening and had a Roast dinner - which cost £9.25. The food was very good, large portions and all the vegetables were freshly cooked. The pub itself was typical of an old pub - it probably had not changed much for a very, very long time - it was warm, cosy and welcoming. The service was also very good.

Visited October 2013