“Great Pub, Great Food, Great Staff :)”

The Bowling Green Inn
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Went here for lunch with my wife and my two-year-old daughter. I booked in advance (on experience it can get busy).
My wife ordered the homemade Lasagne, my daughter the chicken nuggets and I ordered the steak cobbler. All the food came piping hot and (to our surprise) the chicken nuggets were homemade too!!. All of the food was delicious and there were three clean plates a short time later. Definitely the best pub grub in Wells - can't wait to re-visit for Sunday Lunch!! :)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I would say this is above average (value-wise) pub grub for the area. We went on a Wednesday lunch time in half term. There were just 3 or 4 other tables eating at lunchtime. We had the chicken and mushroom pie, the ham, egg & chips and the sauage and mash. The latter two dishes were good but the pie was rather bland. We then ordered one pudding (at £5.50 we thought this quite expensive) but the portion was very large and ended up being a pudding shared between us. The triple chocolate brownie was superb! All in all, with the warm reception and good service we would go again.
One word of warning - the website states that food is served until 2.30pm. We tried to book a table at 2.15pm and the latest we could book was 1.30pm but it wasn't busy!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

A bit further back from the sea front but very much worth the visit. Very good food and very lively atmosphere. as with most retsuarants in Wells very much worth booking a table as gets very busy

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at the Bowling Green Inn for twoo nights B&B,It was a great choice from the first meet with Jackie,Vicky's mum.We were shown to our very spacious and beautiful room,behind the Inn,it had parking in front for our car,and hanging baskets a bloom on the black stained timbers.The bed took two taxi rides and a number four bus to kiss my partner goodnight,otherwise known as kingsize. As for the food,Superb breakfast and the evening meals were amazing and at a good price.All in all the best two days and nights ever.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My family and I have just returned from a two week holiday in Wells. We ate at the Bowling Green Inn once on a Saturday lunchtime, and two evenings. The landlady is very friendly and the food is wonderful. If I could make one criticism it is that my rump steak was a little chewy but the chicken and ham pie I had on the other evening was delicious - a proper shortcrust pastry pie that you don't get very often! Make sure you are hungry as the portions are large - and the puddings with custard are to die for :-)