“Speculative dinner”

The Globe Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Overlooking a pretty, leafy Georgian square in the bustling seaside town of Wells-next-the-Sea, The Globe Inn is a great base for a break on the beautiful north Norfolk coast or an ideal spot for a pint of beer and some simple, home cooked food. Accredited with 4 stars and a silver award by Enjoy England, the Inn offers exceptional quality in all areas. There is a sun-filled courtyard for alfresco eating and dining and a perfect spot to read your morning paper whilst having breakfast. With loads of fabulous local producers on the doorstep, typical dishes will include: Wells' seafood risotto, local pigeon breasts, Norfolk sirloin steak and Mrs Temple's wonderful cheeses. The town offers a central base for the nearby beautiful Holkham Beach with more than four miles of golden sand, and the world-class bird watching sites of the Holkham Nature Reserve, Cley-next-Sea and Titchwell.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We popped up to Wells for a change, walked past the globe and liked the look of the place. Hadn't booked, but after a short wait at the bar a table came free. The standard and quality of the food was exceptional, belly pork for me and fish and chips for my wife. Even tempted to a dessert. Nice warm atmosphere, friendly service. Looking forward to popping back and trying their lazy Sunday lunch. We will return.

TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thanks for this - so pleased that you enjoyed your impromptu visit, we look forward to greeting you again when you come for your lazy Sunday lunch!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Visited Saturday lunchtime on the back of a review in a local brochure.On arrival the bar was busy so we were shown to a table in the 'restaurant' which at the time had three other customers in it at 1pm.

We were given the restaurant menus but only fancied a quick sandwich as we had our young daughter with us, on asking for the sandwich menu we were told that we don't normally serve sandwiches in the restaurant!!! The only other customers in the restaurant were also eating sandwiches!!!
The attitude of the staff , or lack off, lacked basic service standards and couldn't even crack a smile.
I would say that if your bar is full then offer food in the empty 'restaurant'

Well what a disappointment, I shall have to look into this one - we are normally a very friendly, smiley bunch as you will see from all the other reviews.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

recently refurbished (though decor still a bit subfusc), and producing the best food in Wells (its rival, the Crown, is in a poor phase). Raw materials from Holkham Estate, cooking assured, modern british style.

TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thanks for the lovely review, we think it's the best food in Wells too!

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Chose to eat here after disappointing meals in The Crown recently. Was quite impressed - it was packed on the warmest day of the year so far and parking was a nightmare but the meal was worth it! Had fish n chips, the fish was delicious, some of the chips were a bit hard but overall very nice. Didn't have room for desserts and they were expensive - £6.50 - but very appealing selection.

So glad that you enjoyed your meal with us, see you again soon!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was on holiday with my boyfriend and I thought I would treat him to lunch. This restaurant looks great inside, they are still having work done but looks lovely already! I had the halibut, it was delicious , no complaints at all. My boyfriend had the seafood platter, he really enjoyed at the time, unfortunately he was ill for a few days after. It's a real shame as I had such a lovely lunch and he has been put off seafood.

TheGlobeatWells, Manager at The Globe Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

We are so sorry to hear that your boyfriend was so poorly. I have spoken to our Head Chef, David about your concerns. On looking at the platter, it is unlikely that he would have been sick after eating the smoked or cured fishes. Our mussels are fresh from the Quay in Wells itself, so we know they are completely fresh; the chefs cook the mussels in the correct manner and we have not had any complaints or concerns raised about them. However, your boyfriend was undeniably sick after eating something on the platter - I would highly recommend that he ask to be tested for 'shellfish allergy' as this is extremely common and can be quite dangerous to people tested positive this kind of allergy, as even a small amount of shellfish used in a stock can cause a violent reaction. I know this first hand, as my mother is violently ill if mussels have been used in this way, yet she can eat crab and prawns. It is worth getting tested. In the meantime, I hope he has a better experience next time you visit.