“fresh and excellent”

Wells Crab House
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Seafood Restaurant open for lunch 12pm-2.30pm and evening meals 6-9pm with Sundays open 12-3pm. Newly refurbished.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I visited this restaurant in December with my partner. We couldn't have been made to feel more welcome by the staff and the decor shows a lovely picture of the local fishing life, with a mixture of nets, art, artefacts and pictures featuring or from Wells. The seafood is local and caught by the proprietor, both myself and my partner enjoyed our crabs tremendously! Unusually for Wells, there is also a good wide selection of wines reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had booked a family lunch for the Saturday before Christmas because on previous visits the food was Good.
However this time none of the food was appetising and we got the impression that it was not freshly cooked. None of finished our main courses and did not feel inclined to risk the suites.
What a disappointment.

1  Thank Charles R
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visited on the Saturday after Christmas for lunch. Looked a lovely place but seemed as if it was a bit of an inconvenience for us to have arrived. I had the Whitebait which were nice and my wife scampi and chips (£10 for frozen packet type scampi). We settled up and left. The next day my wife felt ill and had lost her appetite, the day after stomach cramps and D kicked in and has been the same since, now NYE so our celebrations have been cancelled, cheers! We both ate the same meals the days before and up to last Saturday so can only attribute this bout to this restaurant. The rest of the household are all/have been fine. We won't be visiting again just in case! Maybe a deep kitchen clean is required?

1  Thank OllyH
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The seafood is all caught by their own boat, so wonderfully fresh.

I had the Seafood chowder which was sublime, Sue had the Crab cakes which were delicious. The sea bass on potato dauphinoise was wonderful and Sue's mussels in a cider sauce were scrumptious!

All for c£50!

A superb restaurant

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We had a wonderful meal, the fish was wonderfully cooked and I really enjoyed the mussels. We also booked for the Christmas Party meal with friends. Can't wait to go back again with friends.