“Disappointing”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed at The Bell Inn in Thetford from the 11th July for 2 nights for my partners birthday. I booked this hotel as it was very close to Go Ape where we were spending the day. The pictures on the internet should a lovely hotel with Superior rooms however it did not show the static boat outside our room which was a night club for foreigners!!! However I can tell you they had a lovely time partying until 1 am. I have to say the room was lovely and clean and great value for money however it would have been nice if the mattress on the bed fitted so then every time you laid down it didn't fall between the slats. The staff on reception and in the bar were absolutely lovely and very helpful, the meal we had in the bar was lovely even though it wasn't actually what I ordered. My main disappointment with this hotel were the staff when we went down for breakfast, the first morning I ordered scrambled egg and it was like rubber and very cold, looked like it had been over microwave and I just couldn't eat it, the buffet table consisted of 1 yoghurt and half a jug of orange juice. The second morning we were seated by a lovely young waitress, told to help ourselves to the buffet (which was a table of nothing)!!! then whilst waiting to order an older lady came out of the kitchen and shout from the kitchen door at us and we were told to leave and go to the lounge!!! We may have been 5 minutes before the restaurant closed for breakfast (may have been we are unsure) however I feel there are ways of telling people and I do not feel shouting across a busy restaurant is one!!! I felt so embarrassed we left didn't go to the lounge or where whether we were supposed to be, got our luggage and left the hotel. I would have said something at the time to the person on the reception however I felt so embarrassed I just wanted to leave. So all in all a big disappointment for my partners birthday.

Room Tip: I believe there are some quiet rooms, request one so you are not overlooking the nightclub
1  Thank Lorraine H
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us , however I am concerned about the inexcusable way you were treated at breakfast . I will be speaking to the member of staff who was working that morning, and if you would like to contact me at the hotel on 01842 754455, we can discuss this further and hopefully rectify the mistakes that were made. Please except my sincere apologies on this matter and I look to hearing from you. I hope this has not put you off staying with us in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Lovely wee hotel, staying here for 5 days and 3 days in I just wanted to say the customer service is great. Rooms are great value - yes there can be a bit of a wait at Breakfast but only when we all arrived at the same time and I seen that happen a few time as our group need to leave at the same time so I fear that may have affected the other customers not part of our group (sorry)
Food is great value, good speed & tasty.
But reception, bar & restaurant staff couldn't have accommodated our group better.
Highly recommend.
R

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank whoopswasntme

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found all of our team friendly and welcoming . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned from a 1 night stay and enjoyed our trip. We were greeted with a warm welcome, check in was easy and quick. Our room on the 2nd floor overlooked the canal and it was surprisingly quiet considering that we were looking out over the main road and the coach/bus drop off area. The staff were all cheerful and were happy to chat with the guests. Our evening meal was very good (large portions) and reasonably priced. There is even a 3 course special for under £10. We had a nice bottle of wine, again reasonably priced. It is a lovely old hotel set on the edge of the town and is closely associated with Dad's Army TV series that was filmed in and around Thetford. It also has an outdoor seating area. The only let down was the breakfast, lots of "help yourself" items had run out and were not replenished, although there was still an hour to go. The Gloucester Gold Spot sausage has a grand name but is a complete let down, tasted like it was filled with cereal, and the fried egg was very greasy. We had no milk for our tea so the waitress just took a half used jug from the next table as they had finished their meal.(not very professional). We will certainly stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed you stay with us. Please except my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your breakfast, I have passed your comments on to the kitchen and front of house team, who would also like to offer there apologies, and will review there processes to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your complements regarding the staff, as a team we pride ourselves on providing a warm, welcoming and friendly environment for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Very quaint hotel with no straight lines, honestly it feels as if you are in a Harry Potter set! This hotel is a must if you're a Dad's Army fan, there are photos everywhere & most of the rooms are named after the characters. The breakfast room overlooks the Captain Mainwairing statue.
We found the hotel to have very lovely, helpful reception staff and the lady who is the chambermaid is delightful. We stayed on one of the hottest weekends in ages & she very kindly left a fan in our room for us (our room had no air conditioning)
Despite facing a main road and overlooking the patio seating area, our room was very quiet, even though there was a wedding party.
We took our dog who was more than welcome outside & in the bar area. You have to leave your dog in your room if you have breakfast in the restaurant.
We ate in the bar both nights of our stay & although service was quite slow, the food was of good quality & reasonably priced.
The only down side is the breakfast! There was a poor choice of cereals, yoghurts etc There was no marmalade & we had to ask for the orange juice to be refilled & for milk for our coffee. We also had to ask for a refill of coffee, which was given, but quite reluctantly!! The second morning there was even less choice with only natural yoghurt & less fruit available. The whole area looked as if it needed to be restocked & I heard quite a few people asking for things. The cooked breakfast choice is better, although they do not offer a vegetarian full English option.
We have stayed in Old English hotels several times before & all have served considerably better breakfasts.

1  Thank michaelahewlett
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your complements onto the recption and housekeeping team . I am sorry to hear that your experience at breakfast was not to our usual standards and that the buffet was not sufficiently restocked, but you may be pleased to hear that we are currently undergoing refresher training, with all our team, to ensure stardards are consistenlty high through out the hotel . Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Bell.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a review -so here goes!
My husband, myself and our little dog Polly visited The Bell Hotel during the last week of May, and we had an absolutely lovely 4 night short break. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. From the minute we got there to the minute we checked out, we were impressed. We were able to take our dog everywhere in the hotel except the dining room, our breakfast was brought out to us in the Piano room, and we ate every night in the Bar area. We found all the food tasty and reasonably priced. We stayed in Room 1, which was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel is literally only a minute away from beautiful riverside walks. We will most definitely be visiting you again. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Room 1 was a very good room for staying in with a dog, because you can get out very easily into the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Inn. We are very glad to hear that you, your husband and Polly enjoyed your stay, we always enjoy welcoming a dog to the hotel . I will pass your complements onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again .

Reviewed July 13, 2014

For what claimed to be 3 stars and a premium price this hotel failed to deliver on everything.

The rooms were not very clean so not a good start but not the end of the world. What wasn't tolerable was the noise from the floating disco moored outside of our room - this went onto until past 3am and with the temperature in the 20s closing the window wasn't an option. Would never stay here again or recommend to anyone. The breakfast wasn't great either my wife's was cold - but we may have been a bit grumpy as we had only 4 hours sleep!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy you recent stay with us at the Bell. I have raised your issues regarding housekeeping and the quality of your breakfast with both departments, who appreciate all feedback as this helps to continually improve the bussiness .

Reviewed July 12, 2014

On the positive, good price. On the neg, needs a bit of attention. Waited over an hour for bar food and the breakfast was like faulty towers, with cups thrown on the table etc. To be fair they gave us a refund for the bar food and the breakfast was tasty.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel , we appreciate all feedback as this help us to develop as a team and move the bussiness forward. We are sorry to hear that your experience at the Bell was not up to our ususal standards , and we hope this has not put you off a return visit. However you may be pleased to hear thatt we are in the process of implementing new training programmes for all our members of staff to ensure all our guests recieve the best customer service during their visit. We are glad to hear that you found your breakfast tasty and we hope to see you again soon .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
The Thomas Paine Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!