“Bank Holiday Weekend”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just a one night stop over at the Bell. Two rooms, one a superior the other just a basic. Both were to the expected standard for their cost. It was slightly disappointing not to get a four poster bed in the superior room, but this was down to bookings.com and NOT the hotel. I will never again book with bookings.com and I would not recommend them to anyone. There are much better options to book with.
Staff at the Bell were above and beyond what I had expected. Very helpful and nothing was to much trouble. A credit to their management team.
Yes there were one or two tiny things that were not perfect.... drippy sink tap etc. But the way reception responded to being told was refreshing and I was thanked for my help. If no one says when things are wrong hen they can never get fixed I guess.
Breakfast was not included on our booking but we were welcomed into the restaurant and the breakfast was remarkably good for the price. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, the sleep quality was excellent.
The other unexpected quirk of The Bell was that it has links to the Dads Army TV show (that I was unaware of) and that added a little more interest to our weekend break.
Myself, wife two daughters and grandson had a great stay.

Room Tip: Superior rooms with a view over the canal/river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Bell Inn and for giving us such a positive review. It is unfortunate that you had issues with the booking company, for any future bookings please ring the hotel direct and speak to one of the reception team who will happily ensure a smooth and correct booking. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments and as you stated it is customer feedback that enables us to move forward. The team and I are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We have just spent three nights at this hotel. We were on the second floor and was offered no help with our bags. There is no lift. There was no telephone in our room and we requested to have one twice but it was ignored. The lighting in the bathroom was inadequate and wifi connection was very poor.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dee23472

Thank you for taking the time to review The Bell Inn. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, it is reviews such as yours that enable us to impove our service and standards . Your feedback has been passed onto to team and we hope your experience has not put you off future stays with us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encounterd during your stay.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel purely to have a rest & that's what I was able to do. My first impression of the hotel was lovely. I was given a warm welcome by the stand in hotel manager, I believe his name is Richard when I arrived at the reception. He came across as being very passionate about the Bell hotel & his job even though he was only standing in at the hotel until the new manager starts. He showed me around the hotel & I was given my key to my room which was in the new part of the building. Every where looked clean on first impression. My room was nice - lovely feature wall, but the bathroom was not as nice & just needed a slight update but that's my opinion. Every thing was functional.
The breakfast & dinner was great & there was a good selection & deals on. Also the staff seemed really nice & helpfull, nothing was too much. I heard about the ghost but was fortunate enough not to have seen it. Richard the manager even though he said he is there only temporary, came across as having a good relationship with his staff, made the guests feel welcome & relaxed. I saw him even give an older couple cushions for their backs as they seemed uncomfortable whilst sitting with their backs against the wall in the bar. It was nice to see a manager go beyond his call of duty to make his guests feel relaxed. I would with no doubt stay at this hotel again. I had a relaxing enjoyable break & look forward to going there again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Harmony41

Thank you for taking the time to review The Bell Inn and leaving such positive feedback, we have worked hard in all areas of the hotel to ensure our customers recieve high levels of customer service and enjoy their stay with us. Although Richard has now returned to his hotel, we now have our new manager Liam who is committed to ensure our standards remain high and the bell continues to move forward. Thank you again for your positive review and the team and I look forward to seeing you again, on your return visit.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed here with a mate so we could be close to Snetterton Circuit for the next morning to get an early start. Nice place to stay, clean etc. No complaints. We arrived late and left early, there was plenty of parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarkLeP87

Thank you for taking the time to review The Bell Inn. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just returned from a three day break at The Bell Thetford. Despite some dodgy reviews I found the place very welcoming. The food was very good and the staff most helpful.The room very very comfy and clean.

Enjoy a local brew in the bar aptly called Bell Ghost Ale.Very nice it is too. And seasonably priced.

Ignore the negative reviews and give it a try. My only moan was we didn't experience any ghostly activity. But I think we were in the wrong area of the hotel.

Room Tip: The ghost, allegedly, resides between bed rooms 26 and 30.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce P
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for leaving such positive feedback for your recent stay with us. We have worked hard in all areas of the hotel recently to provide fantastic value for money along with exceptional customer service from all members of the team.

As mentioned to other guests if you let us know you are arriving for the next time you stay at the hotel I will have a chat with Betty and see if she can make a special appearance for you over a pint of the popular Ghost Ale!! The team and I hope to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We only stayed a night (1 double and 1 single) as we were visiting family and so wish we could have stayed longer.
The hotel was lovely from our initial check-in to sadly our check-out - all the staff were efficient, very polite and chatty (had a great chat with the man on reception about the pubs history, the haunted areas and Betty the Ghost) not a bad word so say about any of them.
The hotel had lovely area from the bar area which was busy to other little rooms were you could go for a quieter drink or to read. We had drinks in the bar in the afternoon and evening and a meal all of which were very reasonable and delicious, the bar area was busy with guests and locals which just goes to show the excellent reputation it has.
Our room was surprisingly large and clean and the bed very comfortable.
Breakfast, wow... selection of fruit and yoghurts and an A La Carte menu, very reasonable and huge portions, we had a cooked breakfast, an Eggs Benedict and omelette - the latter two were huge and delicious.
Some areas need a little TLC but this is to be expected when you have a hotel such as this which is busy due to its great service.
Definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kalimo

Thank you for leaving such positive feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value and you enjoyed what the hotel has to offer. We have worked hard in all areas of the hotel recently to provide fantastic value for money along with exceptional customer service from all members of the team. Maybe next time you stay at the hotel I will have a chat with Betty and see if she can make a special appearance for you!!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have stayed at many Old English Inns on business and although they are all adhere to certain standards some are better than others. This was one of the best. I look for three things when I stay which are: Good Shower, Good Mattress and peace and quiet. This inn passed with 2 out of 3. Unfortunately the mattress needed replacing which is, I'm afraid, a common fault. However the rest of the stay was spot on and I would recommend this as an overnighter.

Room Tip: Ungraded to a superior room which was just that! Even I fitted on the bed
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin D
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you had a fantastic stay with us and rate us as being a Gem. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future where next time the team and I are sure we will get 3 out of 3. Furthermore glad you enjoyed your up-grade and managed to have a good nights sleep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
The Thomas Paine Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!