Stayed at The Thomas Paine hotel in early September on a Sunday, prior to visiting the nearby Center Parcs complex (Elveden Forest), with family. I wanted to lodge nearby to avoid a long drive on Monday morning, so found this establishment via booking.com
Arrived at about 1PM and parked easily in the large car park (which is free to guests). Although check-in isn't available until 2PM, I enquired as to whether I could leave my suitcase and belongings in the room. The staff were very accommodating and said it would be no problem at all, even though it was halfway through being cleaned.
So with the rest of the day decided to have a look around Thetford, it's a lovely place with plenty of character. Being into real ale, popped into some of the towns pubs, The Bell, The Red Lion (Wetherspoons), Kings Head & The Railway to pass the time. By all accounts, The Bell is definitely the best in my opinion, only being a 5 minute walk down the road from the hotel too.
Returned later on in the evening to find the room had been cleaned spotlessly and settled in for the night. Even though my room looked out onto the main road, I heard minimal traffic noise during my stay.
Woke up early next morning and had a shower, although it was large, the pressure didn't seem very good. I also noticed the toilet flush was precarious and sometimes wouldn't activate, unless it was pressed very hard.
Needless to say though even with these minor niggles, I would not hesitate to book again if I was ever in the Thetford area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- FREE WIFI througout the hotel in all of our totally refurbished bedrooms.If you want excellent local meats and seafood then you should visit this ambient restaurant and boutique hotel,our new sizzling dishes tantalite all taste buds, whether you want indian,Chinese or Mediterranean its all here,efficient and friendly service, good local ale and fabulous surroundings you’ll experience this hotel. Recently totally refurbished and under new management, The Thomas Paine Hotel offers a new level of comfort and service. Situated within walking distance of many of the town's attractions, it makes an ideal base for exploring the area or for the businessman needing a good night's sleep. Steeped in history having been the birthplace of Thomas Paine who wrote the Rights of a man, come visit history in its making. Only 30 minutes from Cambridge and 20 minutes from Newmarket excellent for the races. Plenty of free car parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your The Thomas Paine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historical Thomas Paine Thetford
- The Thomas Paine Hotel Thetford, Norfolk