“massive disappointment if you catch them on a bad day”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Thetford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Usually a buzzing place with great atmostphere. However on this occasion there were so many faults it has made me not want to return. Very quiet evening so you would expect service to be even better than usual, however the barman was more interested in his conversation with his friend/colleague on the other side of the bar to pay proper attention to our order (despite us being the only ones at the bar waiting) he put it through wrong - we only noticed this by looking at the receipt and questioning it. It was a wednesday, and they had a special of steak and chips for £5.99 (left overs from steak night the day before) it came very poorly presented, on a small plate just thrown on, no garnish or effort to make it look okay, but tasted fine. The waiter was HORRENDOUS, (blond with glasses) was clearly very stressed despite how quiet the whole place was, forgot to bring us our sides and when we politely questioned this (had to again show him our receipt to prove we weren't just being stupid) he sighed and literally slammed them on the table, which cuistomers on tables around us also noticed and we could do nothing but laugh in disbelief. Although he then proceeded to keep rushing past our table and giving rather sarcastic smiles to us, we tried not to let anything ruin the rest of our meal. However we could then overhear what must have been the duty manager stood behind the bar loudly complaining about customers who had "not ordered what they wanted so I had to come and change it" - probably about us even though it was infact the staffs error! It was really no wonder that the staff had the attitude they did when the manager can stand and complain about customers infront of staff and other customers. Waiter came and checked back while our mouths were full (usual trick when they don't want bad feedback), and when I said to my family we should complain to the manager they actually felt as if they would be told to just leave, and being regular customers they did not want to cause trouble. Something I thought awful also, since regular customers should feel comfortable to give feedback to a usually good service place. Upon leaving, although around 80% of the tables were empty, they were covered in used glasses and dirty plates, and finally the usually beautiful ladies toilets were disgusting, first toilet had a tampon on the floor, second had tissues everywhere, third attempted cubicle had a filthy toilet pan. It seemed we weren't the only unhappy customers of that day, a table behind us complained the whole way through their dinner, and as I was coming out of the toilets another quite elderly customer was moving highchairs around - a stack of them had been dumped straight infront of the door to the toilets, to which he said to me "lucky its not a fire door hey!!" - turns out of course, it was. I don't live in Thetford so I am more than happy to feed this back as I think it is truly a shame that standards are slipping, especially when it was so quiet and you would expect even better service, not a lot worse than usual. I hope for the benefit of the loyal and regular customers that the next time they visit they will receive a better experience than I had.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Me and my husband popped in for breakfast on Saturday morning (24/5). I had the eggs benedict which was very tasty (but a little cold)... My husband had "American pancakes" which he, as an American, was a little disappointed with the size of the pancakes... He enjoyed the taste though. He also order a bagel with philli, which for £2.49 was a little over priced as all they had done was toasted a bagel and he had to butter and philli it himself. My husband also wasnt impressed with the coffee.

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Usually pleased with this place but today we waited forty minutes before our food arrived. We were offered a free drink as compensation.

When the food finally arrived the meat in the mixed grill was inedible. It was burnt to a crisp. Again, we complained and they replaced it after a twenty minute wait. They did offer a free dessert as compensation.

To replaced food was lovely. The unfortunate incidents will not put me off as it is normally excellent and extremely good value for money.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

It is what it is - cheap food & drink. Perfectly adequate & you know what you're going to get. Coffee was pretty good, had much worse in more expensive chains. They don't seem to be able to get the temperature of the chips quite right, always a little on the warm side, rather than hot & crispy. Clean, staff made efforts to keep on top of table clearing despite it being very busy. Could do with more bar staff- wait for drinks can be quite long.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Well I popped in for a jacket potato with my son and we both ordered cheese and beans. When they arrived my sons jacket was fine but mine only had a few beans and no cheese. The waitress brought me over some cheese in the smallest pot ever and asked me if I would like more cheese. I said yes as it was such a tiny portion. She then returned and told me I would have to pay for more cheese. I really don't mind paying it's not that I'm tight but it was the principle if it. They got my order wrong and then didn't rectify it and after asking me if I wanted more cheese then telling me I couldn't unless I paid was really unprofessional. My sons jacket had plenty of filling but I couldn't eat mine as it was just dry potato
For the sake of a lump of cheese they have lost my custom