“Lunch with Snoop Dogg”
Review of The Chase

The Chase
Ranked #15 of 70 Restaurants in Thetford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family friendly pub/restaurant with amazing daily deals.
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend, son and I came to your restaurant recently for a post walk lunch. We had specifically chosen to eat there as we wanted a casual 'no fuss' meal and were expecting the 2 year old to be tired and grumpy and so thought a family friendly establishment was our best option.
We have eaten here before and by no means was I expecting a fine dining experience and considering how cheap your prices are it would take a lot for me to complain but in this case I believe it needs to be done.

We were sat at a table with a TV (not something I would usually allow my toddler to experience, since we quite like actually communicating with him over a meal but I had already man handled him kicking and screaming into the highchair before I noticed and well...pick your battles and all that) but this turned out irrelevant anyway since we were also seated right beside a speaker which was very loudly playing a playlist full of very inappropriate songs. I don't know what was worse, the way my son was staring oogle eyed at a television screen at a dinner table or the fact my boyfriend was dancing along to 'who f**** tonight ugh ugh' from the speakers.

Luckily we started a game of counting the swear words which killed some time while we waited for you to microwave our frozen meals. I had a curry, with a burnt poppodum, which all looked a bit sorry for itself but at this stage so did we so I suppose it fit right in.

I know what to expect at a restaurant like this, I wasn't expecting great food or service, just a quick convenient lunch before we dashed home for my favourite time of the day...my sons nap time. But surely it's in bad taste to play 'offensive' music so loudly in a child friendly place. If my son had been any older and more likely to understand the meaning and context of the songs we probably would have either had to leave or explain exactly what 50 cent really meant by 'I'll let you lick my lollipop'

I hope after reading this email you can perhaps have a chat to your staff about what music to play in a restaurant and also at what volume it's appropriate. Perhaps a small reminder that while everyone enjoys a little rap sing along with Eminem (I personally have 'Lose Yourself' down to a perfect art) that it's best performed in the privacy of your own home and not at work where young children with sponge like brains are busy soaking up new words.

However should my son go on to be a rapping, gold chain wearing superstar I'll ensure he knows the roots of his rap beginnings, the hungry horse in Thetford.

3  Thank mandbc55

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Cutlery that comes in a rusty bucket to sit on table not the best thing, selected cleanest cutlery we could and gave them a good wipe. Worried as we had ordered by then but the food was very tasty and plates looked clean enough. Chips a little cool but everything else was good for the price. Staff nice enough but dont think we will go back though, shame as the menu looked good but cleanliness let the place down.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

It's to be expected at the prices they charge that the food will only ever be ok but standard of cleanliness worries me. Tables left dirty for ages and the amount of rubbish on floor amazing. I know when it's busy it's easy to overlook these things but it's a bad example in a food environment it always makes you wonder about the state of kitchen. Would be nice if there was an area for people without kids to be able to sit as the pub is huge but noise level from screaming and unchecked children made a lunch very unpleasant. I realise they are aimed at families but some people eat out without kids.
Food is ok well cooked and decent size portions. Waiting staff friendly.

1  Thank Kandsabouttown
Reviewed February 11, 2014

An impromptu lunch with a friend. This pub/restaurant is huge and whilst I appreciate that it must cost a fortune to heat it it was cold and unwelcoming when we arrived. Staff were all very attentive and friendly and the food was fine at this " Hungry Horse" level of dining. My fish and chips were better than the last ones I ate out and were a third of the price so no complaints there. The sizzling kebabs ordered by my friend looked attractive and he enjoyed them. There was a check back after delivery of each course which is good. As it was a Tuesday we had desserts included in the price so two mains two desserts and two drinks each came to about £20. There were few customers in at the time of my visit so peace and calm reigned but I can imagine on a busy weekend with a full restaurant and a menu aimed at families it might get a bit noisy. If simple and acceptable food at very good value is what you are looking for do give this one a try

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I decided to visit this venue for our evening meal after having picked her up from work. I was attracted by the special price for a fish-n-chip meal for 2. Being early tea-time their was plenty of choice re' seating. The service was fairly good AND we did not have to wait too long for our meals. The quality was good, on a par with the standard one would receive in a fish-n-chip restaurant. The only thing I would stress is that the management need to ensure that there is sufficient running HOT water in the Gent's toilet, together with a substantial door bolt repair on the WC therein.