“Surprisingly pleasant”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
England
“Surprisingly pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

A mid-week stay in room 212 on the top floor at the back of the hotel was a pleasant surprise. Newly decorated spacious room, large double bed, Dyson fan (essential in this heat) and a large spotless bathroom with separate shower and bath. Lots of towels, tea making and a powerful hairdryer. Helpful and friendly staff on arrival and departure.

I know that I've received negative feedback from friends who have stayed Thurs-Sun and I'd probably avoid it, but for a Wed night in July waking up to the sound of seagulls was good, and with double aspect windows it was a light, airy and enjoyable stay for the price.

Room Tip: Top floor, room 212 at the back is quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CKJEngland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here very recently, as we were attending a wedding held in the town hall. We were kindly welcomed, and were offered the option of paying for the room straight away or waiting until our departure if we wanted to order room service or snacks.

Our room was on the second floor (top floor), at the back, and we were assured that we would not be able to hear the music from the ground floor bar. The room itself was significantly better than I was expecting. There was a comfortable double bed, an open wardrobe, a desk, a TV and two armchairs. The bathroom had a standalone shower, a bath and good lighting over the basin. We were each provided with two towels which I found to be soft. There was also the standard free biscuits, tea, coffee and bottled water, and a hairdryer. The rooms were also clean.

I came back to the room at 10.30, and my boyfriend at midnight, and we found that we could hear music as well as general chatter from the ground floor. This did not really bother us, but it may bother some guests.

Let's be honest: for a relatively cheap hotel, it was of a good standard. I would recommend this if you wanted a midrange priced stay in Kings Lynn. (we paid £54 for one night)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank osalinda
GlobeHotel1, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. The team work hard to deliver good food, comfortable accommodation, a friendly atmosphere and overall value. We are extremely proud of our recently refurbished hotel, and were pleased to welcome you as one of the first guests to stay in our new hotel.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Trinidad, W.I
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

A few friends and I visited the lovely UK last year. We went to Norfolk with the sole purpose of doing some courses which were being held at the Globe during the day so decided to make matters less complicated by also staying at the hotel.
First of all it was the first time any of us had been to the UK and we didn't know what to expect. Naturally the UK is not known for happy, friendly, smiling people! So we were on guard! Much to our surprise however everything was really simple at the hotel, from the check in, to the daily house keeping, service in the restaurant, it was all pretty good. It's no 4 star or 5 star hotel of course but everything was clean. The rooms were a bit chilly at night however and it also didn't help matters that the restaurant/pub got loud on the weekends.
It wasn't too much of a bother for us as we were out pretty late after the course was finished.
The Globe also is conveniently located and everything is basically just a brisk walk away. It's a great location to do some shopping or just hang around the pubs but other than that this hotel won't offer much in terms of family entertainment or even for couples. It's better suited for friends, or as a pit stop on business.
I must say though that we had a good time exploring this area and felt quite welcome by the locals! I guess in a way it was good we had a stop at this little town before London, who says Brits are snotty...they obviously got no idea what they speak about!

Room Tip: Choose a room furthest away from the pub!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jonema
GlobeHotel1, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I would like to thank you for your time taken to review your recent stay with us. It is always nice to hear positive feedback and we agree that there are a lot of great things to do in and around the area of Kings Lynn. The team work hard to deliver good food, comfortable accommodation, a friendly atmosphere and overall value. Our conference room is used for various courses and we hope to see you again soon.
Letchworth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

do not stay here after coming in after a long day with my two young daughters they were having music there till one in the morning instead of having the common sense to put us on the top floor they put us above the music we had no sleep the towels were like sandpaper the room certainly had no view damp up the walls disgusting i would strongly advise not staying her i intend to complain to head office do not stay here bathroom needs some attention me and my family would of been better sleeping on the street

Room Tip: dont waste your money
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ayshea N
GlobeHotel1, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we would firstly like the chance to apologise for the experience you have had at this hotel, we agree this is completely unacceptable and we are looking into this matter. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service as well as providing an amazing service, and we are sorry this didn’t happen in this instance. We are pleased to announce that the refurbishment works have now been completed, along with free WiFi available in every room. Which I am sure you will agree, will give the hotel a new lease of life. In regards to the problem you had with noise, we do try to tell everyone when booking with us directly or the information is provided on the Laterooms website or our own website (www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk). Once again we apologise for the experience you had, and if you wish to discuss the matter in more detail please do not hesitate to call the hotel so we can try and restore your faith in us.
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, room was a little small but OK, everything worked. Bathroom was only room with a window, which was a little stange and hindered the ventilation. Overall room was in need of renovation, especialy the bathroom - small amounts of mould were present. Lights were very dim, 30W bulbs I think. Hotel is about to be refurbished whcih should hopefully solve the issues with the rooms. Hotel is above a Wetherspoons, no noise issues while we there, a Sunday and Monday night. Food as you would expect, good range and value, same for breakfast. No car park, lots of public parking around, but a bit of a pain to have to keep finding change / paying etc.
Good location, range of shops and places to eat within easy walking distance, as is the river.

Room Tip: Although not an issue with our room, some do face the street and can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GlobeHotel1, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post a review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Globe Hotel, you are correct our beloved hotel is currently undergoing a full refurbishment which should be completed on the 14th June 2013, this includes all rooms and en suites as well as the installation of free Wi-Fi in every room.

I hope you join us again and allow us to turn your 4 star review into a 5 :)

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

stayed there for one night in January. my single room was slightly bigger than bathroom. if i wanted to hang my coat had to move bed towards window to be able to reach the hanging rail. my room was 208, i'm slim, so it wasn't much problem for me to walk around the bed in the tiny room, but if you are average built i would recommend you to book a double room. it was Friday night when i stayed there, so I could hear music from pub downstairs, but it didn't bothered me much as I was tired and ill and went to bed before 10 pm. none other noise woke me up, only my alarm clock in the morning. will stay there again as location is brilliant and love the pub downstairs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GlobeHotel1, Manager at Globe Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thanks for posting a review, we always like to hear feedback from our customers, with our refurbishment project currently in place we are taking the opportunity to redesign the layout of all our rooms including our singles to give as much space as possible to our customers.

I am glad you enjoy the adjoining pub and we are very proud to be a social highlight of Kings Lynn, we look forward to your return visit with us!

norwich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Staff were excellent and helpful, however this is the only hotel room I have stayed in which does not have a window! I have lied as there was one in the bathroom, which was frosted! The shower fittings could probably be found in a 1930's second hand store! We were offered a alternative room, however they had a live band on and it would have been noisy, so we turned that one down! We were informed that next week the rooms were being updated - but of course no good to us! I was looking forward to staying at a Wetherspoons hotel for the first time as they do Pubs really well, but I feel they have a lot of learning to do, when it comes to hotels!
Also car parking is a issue and to get round it is extremely complicated, by moving your car to different car parks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
David,

Many thanks for your review and your custom we are very proud that our hotel is a listed building of such beauty and character however operationally this can prove challenging sometimes, in particular the layout of your room, We quite agree with your assessment of the showers and am pleased that our refurbishment program which is finishing on the 14th June 2013, will include a completely refitted en suite in each room with modern fittings and fixtures.

I hope that you will try us again after the refurbishment and look forward to hearing your feedback concerning our new rooms.