“basic but friendly”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Twyford, United Kingdom
“basic but friendly”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I ended up at the Tudor Rose after running away from MJB apartments. It was the nearest hotel to where I was meant to be staying and I got a single room for £48 including breakfast. As single rooms go it wasn't too bad - quite homely, not horrendously small, a bit frayed around the edges but fine for one night. The mattress on the single bed was very cheap - I could feel all the coils and I'm no princess - and the shower was rubbish - took ages to get hot water and then an unenthusiasic dribble. However, I was surprised to see tea and coffee facilities and a small flat screen TV. I stayed there Friday night in September and it was pretty quiet during the night despite being so close to town. I had a full English the next day which was good, as was the setting, a large tudor beamed room with lots of character. The hotel is old and historic and could do with a massive investment, but I rather enjoyed my stay and it was good value for money. My friends told me later that it's one of the most haunted places in Norfolk but unfortunately nothing spooked me there..

Room Tip: I was given a choice of rooms and reception were happy for me to inspect them before making up my mi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
SOUTHAMPTON
Reviewed August 15, 2011

First, the positives. The location is very good, in between St Nicholas ' church and the Tuesday Market Place, the latter being one of the most impressive open town squares in Britain. The hotel is adjacent to a large car-park and some onstreet parking by the church which is free for 30 minutes with no return within 30 minutes, but with no restrictions on Sundays. On the car park youi can park all night for a pound, but have to go out at 8 a.m. to pay the hourly rate. The hotel has a beautiful beamed breakfast room and a charming waitress, who also doubles as housekeeper, but who,unusually for a hotel, asked if we would like our room serviced and the bed made after our first night's stay! The towels and bathroom generally were fine, though the toiletries lacked shampoo sachets to match the shower- gel ones provided.Other members of staff we met did not aspire to show charm or even a smile ; male staff both young and old were quite glum / taciturn / off-hand. Our room had a carpet which needed cleaning or better still, replacing, pillows of the very flimsiest kind it would be possible to find, and a TV which had radio channels but very few TV channels, not even ITV 1. Other travellers might be given a better room, but for us,even at the low-priced tariff for a hotel, staying a couple of nights was enough.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room and avoid ground floor rooms 1 and 2.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank obsSouthampton
Manchester
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I and My friend were stuck with a place to stay for the night so we tried the Tudor Rose. The hotel seemed family run and the staffs were very friendly. The building from the outside was beautiful, inside it was old but clean none the less. Our room which was a twin was spacious and although basic i.e. no sky TV it was defiantly well worth the money we paid, which wasn't very much considering my student loans! I and my mate went to seek the nightlife of kings Lynn and even the owner’s son joined us for a couple and the local Chicago’s rock cafe. In the morning bleary eyed the fry up was just what we needed to lifted our spirits. The orange juice also went down a treat. Overall a very easy and relaxing stay, very convenient for the town centre.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Studentman
Bedford
Reviewed April 26, 2010

that this is the most basic of hotels. Yes its cheap, but so is premier inn on the edge of town. I booked this on behalf of myself and 7 other golfers as a place to crash for two nights in the town centre. Yes they gave me a hard time about it!! The hotel has a slightly strange smell downstairs. The bed sheets were clean (other wise we would have walked), the bathrooms are rubbish. All 4 rooms we had, had poor or unuseable showers. The only other guest was staying courtesy of the DSS! Would I go back? Sorry but no.

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank supermanbedford

Travelers are raving about these King's Lynn hotels

norwich
Reviewed March 28, 2010

This hotel has certainly seen better days. The historic building could be lovely with care and attention but is in need of some serious TLC. Our room was clean, but drab and depressing with furniture and fittings that clearly had not been replaced for many years. The ensuite was tiny - with the door closed it was virtually impossible to get past the wash basin to move from the loo to the shower - not that you would particularly want to use the shower! Breakfast was better, with a friendly and helpful waitress although the room was cold. This is not somewhere I would ever go back to.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank julia15w
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stayed here as a stopover for one night. Having read a fair few negative reviews, I was prepared for the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were well sized, with decent ensuite facilities. Neither room nor bathroom were spotlessly clean, but they certainly weren't horribly dirty. The smoke detector in our room was beeping intermittently, but within 10 minutes of our arriving, it was sorted out. After eating out, we came back to the bar for a few drinks, and had a chat with the owner, who seemed to be a well natured man. Even though our room faced onto the street, there was little noise from outside, from either cars or people. The beds were comfortable, and I got a good nights sleep, despite there being a party of ghost hunters staying at the same time (apart from them, we were the only ones staying). Breakfast in the morning was fine, although it did take a while to arrive. When it did, it was well cooked and hot.
Overall, I would say that this hotel is good for one or two nights, but I wouldn't stay there for any extended length of time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Cryptus
Sunderland. Co. Durham
Reviewed September 7, 2009

An extremely warm reception and an escort to our room, bags carried. Excellent bar room atmosphere with friendly and helpful locals. It must be borne in mind that this is a historic building and this leaves minimal space for 'ensuite' facilities. Ask yourself whether you would prefer to queue for a shared bathroom or have your own small facilities.
The breakfast was a little disappointing being served on a cold plate (!!) by a not too obliging breakfast lady wearing blue jeans. Apparently the owners are relatively newly arrived. There are quite a few small items to attend to, staff training being one.
Overall, this was a nice, centrally located hotel for a short stopover. If you want utter luxury go elsewhere, If you want a warm Norfolk welcome, try this one.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple