1,269 results
All reviews the hotel car park travelzoo deal turners restaurant classic room feature room market square cream tea lovely hotel overlooking the square afternoon tea tuesday market place course meal scones centre of town corn exchange breakfast was buffet style lounge area
Reviewed February 26, 2017 via mobile

No baby changing facility, "supposedly" unlimited tea yet no one served us any refills! No plain scones all had raisins in them - not good when you've got fussy eaters present!

Quick service and sandwiches and cakes were very good!!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Darryl H, Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2017

Good Afternoon,

We are disappointed to hear about your experience with us. We are in the process of changing our offerings here in The Dukes Head Hotel, and our Chef has been looking into creating more variety in our menus and food items. We will be sure to pass your feedback on, so that we can continue to improve the standards in our Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback, and we hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

Kind Regards,
Katherine.

Reviewed February 25, 2017

When I visited this place, I came to the conclusion that although a very nice looking place this is one of those places where the staff for whatever reason ignore you, loads of staff but making themselves busy doing other things while ignoring customers who want some service (either to order or pay). Quite honestly I had been wanting to visit this place for a while but I won't be bothering visiting it again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2017

Mike - I am sorry to learn of your disappointing experience, please accept our sincere apologies for the service shortfalls you encountered on this visit. If you would like to email me directly I will follow up on your comments and look to put things right on a future occasion. Kind regards Darryl

Reviewed February 23, 2017

We received a great welcome when we visited Kings Lynn for the annual festival, so it was a busy time, and they still had time to talk about the hotel's facilities and the town's attractions. I would recommend, but ask for a south facing room.

Room tip: book ahead to get the best rates. Walk in rates can be exorbitant.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Darryl H, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2017

John - Thank you for your kind feedback. Regards Darryl

Reviewed February 20, 2017 via mobile

Book this hotel about 2 months before the date I was going on booking.com as a romantic valentines weekend for my girlfriend got to the hotel check Inn fine and started our weekend together the room was fine but not really worth the money. Most nights you could hear alot of music noise which for us as a young couple it wasn't that bad but wouldn't recommend for old couple or family as it when on till around 12am .so we stay at the hotel for the 2 nights then thought that we would check out as we were checking out the person that was checking us out said that the room wasn't paid for so I reply that if the room wasn't paid for then why wasn't we made aware of this issue soon. the women gave us the most evil look and demand that we paid for it there and then it was almost like we was being held at gun point .so I explained that I need to go to the bank to withdraw the money to pay it . The women then gave us a look like we was going to leave without paying for the room at this point we start to feel humiliated as people start looking at me and my girlfriend .she finally let us leave to get the money when we return with the money she grabbed the money out my hand and put it straight in the till which I found extremely rude I ask the women why wasn't we told about this sooner she said it's not our fault is booking.com fault only to then say it was there fault and that this happens all the time Which made me think that she was just making things up just so we leave .we got no sorry or a apologies and it ruin the whole day that much we just drove home

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Gary - Thank you for your comments which we are looking into but we are sorry if the staff didn't make you aware of the payment process on arrival. if you would like to email us we can follow up on your feedback - Regards Darryl (gm@dukesheadhotel.com)

Reviewed February 19, 2017

We booked this break with Travelzoo as a package, bed and breakfast with 2 course evening meal and afternoon cream tea for £99 per couple, we also took our 13 year old daughter which incurred some other costs, food etc.
Arrived at the Dukes Head and parked in the rear hotel car park, you have to bring your cases from the car park down the side alley and in via the front door, about 50 yards, park outside the front if this is going to cause problems, there is a off loading area at the front.
Reception and check in fine. the car park is £10 per night, we were aware of this prior to booking, the public car parks work out much dearer and it means going back a forth to top up the pay and display meter.
We decided to have our included cream tea in the cocktail bar which we thought was nice and so did our daughter, staff were very good, they had a beer which I had never heard of on tap so they poured me a little taster which again was a nice touch. Good coffee, good big home baked warm scones, loads of clotted cream and jam, off to a very good start.
Our room was on the first floor, room 100, no view as such but we knew the family rooms were in the newish extension at the back of the hotel. Apparently there are only 4 or 5 family rooms, room 100, 200, 300 and 400 all of which are next to the lift shaft and fire doors. The room was fine, big enough with a full size single bed and king size bed. Room was clean unfortunately the heating didn't work very well but we were supplied with a convector heater which quickly did the job, one of those things?
The restaurant was well set out and decorated, the staff were good and attentive and the choice was varied although my wife thought her duck, cooked well but not especially tasty, a bit bland, my belly pork was very tasty. There is no child's menu and they have to select off the a la carte menu which could cause some problems, there was no offer to sort something out from the ingredients the chef had on the menu, i.e chicken and mash etc. If your child was younger or fussy it could be difficult although MacDonald's is just down the main road (walking). Also we found it amazing that you couldn't order a coffee at the end of your meal as the coffee machine is in the cocktail bar and it's turned off when they serve cocktails, strange for a hotel. Breakfast was a help yourself buffet, cooked and continental which was what you would expect, if you want a runny fried you you need to ask, all the eggs we saw were hard.
When we got back to the room it was now warm but the lift noises were present up until midnight and started again a 6 am, we are good sleepers but it woke us and if you were light sleepers or children who were it again might cause some problems, probably the hotel should inform a family booking these rooms as to their location.
I did mention the lift noise to the receptionist who said she was aware of the problem however this was where the family rooms were located and there was nothing that could be done.
The hotel is brilliantly place within the old part of Kings Lynn on the Tuesday market place, a short walk to the river, customs house and fine Tudor buildings, the Lynn museum is a must and is free to enter during the winter. If your there for the history of this very old port you will need a full day to do it all, much to my amazement a very nice town.
Overall it's an impressive old hotel, well presented and a great location, the food is O.K. but it's not completely child friendly.

Date of stay: January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay. We are pleased overall that things were largely positive and we accept that we have not set out to cater specifically for children. This isn't intentional and with the right staff approach we should have been really flexible to offer appropriate solutions as we have all the ingredients to make something suitable. In respect of coffee we should be able to offer this all day and evening and again this will be looked into as to why on this occasion we didn't offer the service we would expect. Our new head Chef will also look at the menus this month and will be presenting his new revised menu in March. Kind regards Darryl