“Lovely Hotel and Great Restaurant”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had a lovely stay at The Dukes Head. The room and bathroom were lovely in the old part of the hotel. We didn't see any of the modern part. The front of the hotel is so pretty on a square of very old picturesque buildings. Perfect location for the shopping centre and also walking around the medieval part of the town near the river. The perfect weather certainly helped although the room was therefore very warm! I had requested a quiet room having read previous comments and we were given a room where the only noise came from the seagulls!! Turner's Restaurant in the hotel had an excellent menu and the food and staff were faultless. A lovely weekend brek.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a quiet room
1  Thank N_and_K_Surrey
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear N_and_K_Surrey

I was so pleased to read on Trip Advisor that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you chose us for your weekend break.

Your comments regarding the restaurant is especially welcome, as we have since received an accolade of a rosette from the AA.

I would sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area that you come and stay with us again.

David Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed here for my cousins wedding so my experience was maybe a little different from others, however I'm sure the treat everyone in the same manner. The staff where very friendly from cleaners to managers and they never see as a problem as they wanted to help you. The food was lovely and breakfast was all you can eat with a large salection. So if you are a big eater like me you'll not go hungry. The room was large, clean and modern. I really can't find anything to complain about with this hotel and would recommend to anyone traveling in this area

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wpage68

Dear wpage68

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed staying with us when attending your cousins wedding.

It is always lovely to read positive comments about my team so thank you for these as well, and I will be sure to pass these on to them.

Thank you also for recommending us to others and please come and visit us again soon.

best regards

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We are local and have stayed before at the hotel. I spotted the amazing groupon deal and we decided to have a celebratory night away. We had room 100 which was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. I've stayed in the more classier rooms but this was still lovely. These back rooms could really do with air conditioning or at least access to a fan (I'm sure if we'd have asked reception we could have got one. We went to the bar and was served by a someone who was on their first shift he was very polite and courteous as were all the staff. We had our first ever meal at turners restaurant (this is why the groupon deal was so good as we had never tried the restaurant before always opting to go out) we were really impressed by the food and waiter service and will definitely eat at the turners restaurant again when we go. Breakfast was good choice and offered freshly cooked eggs. The dukes head is our preferred place to stay in kings Lynn, keep up the good work!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Pplnhc

Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay on Trip Advisor. It is always great to read that even our 'locals' stay with us as well, and that you had a lovely time.

I am pleased to announce that since your stay, our Turners restaurant has been awarded a rosette by the AA and we are delighted with this accolade.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Lovely, hotel, nice setting in the main market sq, everything seemed really nice until after dinner. Around 10pm in the bar we noticed the music coming from the pub next door, the walls were vibrating it was that loud. Lots of other guests were talking about the same thing with reception advising people it usually finishes around 11, we thought ok a few drinks then upstairs we would go.
At 1145pm the music was getting louder and louder , we decided to call and ask someone to come up and speak to us. The night porter came but was not able to offer any assistance apart from a fan if we closed the windows, all fans do is move hot air around a room hence keeping the windows open in an already stuffy hot room. The Operations Manager then came to us but he stated the night porter was his boss and could nothing either.
The Operations manager which I consider to be a problem solving role was like a chocolate fire guard, I'm sorry there is nothing I can do, we are a town centre hotel, it is what it is, were the only answers he could give us, no other rooms are available, we are completely full. He told us there was no management around till Monday, so who makes the management decisions over the weekend? In the end he told us he would be back in the morning and would look at our bill.
On checkout, a lovely girl on reception offered to refund the monies, paid for drinks the night before as the Ops manager was not around.
Please check the pubs website next door prior to coming, The Maid Arms to see if they have a heavy metal band playing the same night otherwise if you have no issues you would have a lovely time.
First impressions of the hotel up until the music situation started were great but there was no ownership from the hotel re noise.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pololo1601

Dear Pololo1601

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, and whilst I was happy to read that you found the hotel to be very nice, I was disappointed to read that you had been disturbed by music from the neighbouring public house.

I would also like to take this opportunity of apologising to you that my Operations Manager was unable to offer you another room, as we were indeed full on the night of your stay, however, we could have put in a call to the local Council to make a complaint. I can assure you that since receiving your review that a call has now been logged.

I am sincerely sorry that you were disturbed during your visit but hope that this incident has not deterred you from staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Enjoyed our recent 2 night stay at the Dukes Head on a Groupon voucher ( 2nights, 2 breakfasts, one 3 course evening meal with wine for two) the hotel is very nice with a period frontage on to the market square and plenty of parking to the rear. The room was pleasant with the usual tea coffee and flat screen TV provided. The buffet style breakfast was good with plenty of choice and very friendly staff. The evening meal was excellent being a set menu but with good choice, the food was delicious and the overall service was excellent, A slight hiccup meant that our wine did not arrive before we had finished our main course but this was sorted out with some complimentary drinks from the bar. The general age of the guests was somewhat senior (we are in our 50s) and so we spent most of our evenings in the local bars or the excellent Pearl River Chinese restaurant (see separate review). The local bars are quite lively with plenty of different beers to choose from. We will definitely be visiting again

1  Thank Grant G
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Grant G

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you found your evening meal to be excellent.

Since receiving your review, our Turners Restaurant has been awarded a rosette by the AA for fine food and good service, and we are all very excited to receive it.

Come and see us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

Best regards

Reviewed July 27, 2014

My girlfriend and I checked in after I completed a 16-hour working day at a local event. After finishing my work at the hotel, I got into bed only to find the mattress had completely given way. It was like sleeping on a broken park bench, except with the sound of springs doing things they shouldn't.

I attempted to contact reception, only for the phone to ring and ring. I got dressed and headed downstairs, where I had a long wait for the night porter to arrive at reception. Upon being told about the mattress, his indignant reply was "what do you want me to do about it?" After being told there were no other rooms available, he offered to bring up some extra bedding to pad the mattress. This arrived after 45 minutes, when he delivered me a quilt and cover, which he expected me to put together myself.

After spending an uncomfortable night sleeping on top of the duvet, largely on my girlfriend's side of the bed, I asked to see the manager in the morning. I encountered duty manager Sue, who gave the impression should couldn't care less - a baffling attitude when you consider I was party of a large party that had booked a number of rooms and do so every year. Little concern was shown for my rotten night's sleep and she would not even accompany me to inspect the damaged mattress. Disgraceful service and I will be advising my colleagues not to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Burb1109

Dear Burb1109

I was very surprised to read you review on Trip Advisor, especially as we had spoken on the telephone regarding your issues.

My understanding from our conversation was that, although you did not have a great stay, I had been able to resolve and address the shortfalls and that you were happy with the outcome.

I am sorry that you still felt the need to post a poor review after our conversation and even after offering you a good will gesture as an apology.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We only stayed one night sadly, if I had known how good it was going to be I would have booked the two night groupon deal. Our room was 108, reasonable size, comfy bed but what a small bathroom. I liked the walk in shower but in general way too small.The market place is impressive and the rest of the town with its old buildings and quayside was lovely.They did give us a map that was very helpful. It would have been more helpful if it had been offered when we asked for directions.We told at least two other couples to ask for the map as they were asking directions from the staff .
We had dinner here which was a lovely meal, beautifully served.It was a bit odd being called "ladies and gentlemen" all the time, there were only the two of us!
Breakfast was good all the usual bits friendly staff and good service.

Dear jo_kent1

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your suggestion regarding maps which I will ask my team to action.

I hope to welcome you back soon perhaps next time you will stay a little longer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near King's Lynn
#11 of 15 in King's Lynn
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!