“A pleasant surprise”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked this hotel on a Groupon 2 night deal which included Pimms and strawberries and dinner with wine on the first night. The dinner was excellent, a good choice, well presented generous portions. All the waiting staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was adequate size with a comfortable bed and small modern shower room. Breakfast the following morning was buffet style, of good quality and constantly refreshed. I felt it was very good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diana1946
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Diana1946

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, it was a real pleasure to read that you had made use of our very popular Groupon offer and that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Keep an eye out for future deals and be sure to come and stay with us again.

David Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Kent
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I highly recommend this hotel. Best position in Kings Lynn. We stayed using Travelzoo voucher so the best bargain ever although we paid to upgrade the room. Our room was in the original building facing on to the market square. Really big and comfortable with everything you needed. Our stay included a delicious evening meal with wine that we could not fault in any way. All the staff were friendly and attentive. If you are planning a trip to this lovely market town you must stay at the dukes head hotel.

Room Tip: In the old part of the building. Room 11 is good.
Dear villasun

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I was absolutely delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you had made good use of our very popular Travelzoo offer.

Be sure to keep an eye open for future deals where I am sure that when you return you will have an equally enjoyable time.

doncaster england

excellent hotel.

The cream tea scones were some of the best scones i have had and the 3 course evening meal was excellent, apart from they had cremated my wife's sweet, too long in microwave and like coal in the middle.

We also dropped on for a concert in the square which was a bonus.

would probably book again and look out for the concerts next year.

Dear corky001

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt our scones and evening meal were excellent. Apologies if your dessert was overcooked, but I am sure had you have mentioned this it would have been replaced.

I was also glad that you had enjoyed the Festival which included Katrina (formerly Katrina and the Waves) and other acts.

We hope to welcome you back next year.

uk
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here on a groupon deal which included pimms, strawberries and cream on arrival and a 3-course meal with wine.

We arrived and were checked in promptly although no-one mentioned the pimms, strawberry and cream (we also forgot about this) and we had to go back later and enquire, at which point we were given a voucher to take to the bar. The lift sounded a bit rickety but it worked.

The room was a massive disappointment. We were given a family room even though there were only two of us. The double bed was tiny and not especially comfortable (reception insisted it was a king bed but it was absolutely not) and the bathroom was small but functional. There were stains and cigarette burns on the chair and, worst of all, the remote control for the tv was missing. We phoned reception and they said they would sent someone up straight away with a new control. Twenty minutes later a housekeeper arrived with a control which didn’t work. She said she would get us another one but it never came. When we asked at reception later that day, we were told that someone would deal with this. They never did. For an allegedly 4-star hotel to not have a remote control for the tv is unacceptable and this was compounded by the false promises and farcical customer service.

The meal in the restaurant was the only saving grace of this stay. The food was fantastic and the service was top-notch. Even the house wine was very good.

We didn’t have a great night’s sleep in the tiny bed but were looking forward to breakfast after the delicious meal the night before. Unfortunately, when we went to the breakfast room we were left standing as the staff ran around like headless chickens. Eventually we were seated and served lukewarm coffee. The buffet-style breakfast was a joke. The food was slimy and disgusting and the whole organisation was chaotic. My wife was behind me in the queue and by the time she got to the front, there was hardly any food left. She had to sit and wait for 10 minutes until they replenished the sloppy eggs and rubbery mushrooms, by which time I had nearly finished. The whole breakfast service was a complete shambles and I wish we hadn’t bothered.

All in all, this stay was a massive disappointment apart from the meal. The service in the bar was also very friendly and fast but the room was dirty, the bed was tiny, the customer service was horrendous and the breakfast was vile.

This groupon is not a good deal in any way, shape or form. Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mideastexplorer

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed the £99.00 Groupon offer inclusive of dinner, bed, breakfast, strawberries & cream with Pimms and a bottle of wine and for 2 people, and that you felt this offer is not good value for money.

I sincerely believe that the offer is outstanding value for money as it is usually priced at £178.00, and as such have sold in excess of 1,500 deals where most guests have had a thoroughly enjoyable time in this lovely hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but I hope that in the future you find a hotel which meet your needs more closely.

regards

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend on a Groupon deal which included - 2 nights accommodation, strawberries and pimms on arrival and a 3 course meal on our first night.
The room was okay for what we paid - clean and fairly modern. We did have a blocked shower in our room though which meant we had to have very quick showers otherwise the water would overflow all over the floor!
Our 3 course meal on the first night was superb! Best part of the weekend by far - food was delicious and the staff were really great.

We then went to breakfast on the Saturday morning to be greeted by an overcrowded, hot and unappealing restaurant. There was no one to show us to a table and the tables that were free were dirty. We decided that we'd just gave to sit down at a dirty table and try and grab someone's attention to take the dirty cups/ plates away and bring us some clean ones. We sat there for a good 5- 10 minutes trying to grab one of the staffs attention to ask for a pot of tea and some clean cups. The staff member then just continually apologised and explained that they were busy/ short staffed and then took a fair while to actually bring some tea and new cups over and take the dirty ones away. When we eventually did get breakfast we opted for a full English of which the scrambled egg was watery, the mushrooms slimy and the grilled tomato cold. The only thing that we actually ate were the sausages.
It was a real shame and this element of the weekend really let it down as I really couldn't fault much else.

Also - if you're looking for a place with lots to do and see - Kings Lyn is not the place for you!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sammy K

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had made use of our Groupon offer inclusive of dinner, bed, breakfast, Strawberries and cream with a glass of Pimms, plus a bottle of wine all for £99.00 and of course for two people, and that you felt your dinner was the highlight.

As for breakfast, please accept my apologies that on this particular day nearly all of our guests arrived at the same time which meant a delay or a wait for some, however breakfast is available between 7.30 am and 10.30 am on the weekends, and sometimes it is better to avoid the usual 9.00 am rush and come early or later.

I hope that when you return you will stay with us again where I am sure you will have a lovely time.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed in one of the classic rooms in the old part of the hotel and I have to say, it was good quality. The service was great and couldn't have been more helpful when we wanted something.
We don't usually eat at the hotels where we stay because we like to get about a bit. On one night it was raining heavily and we managed to book the last table in the restaurant 'what a surprise' it was first class'. We both had prawn starters, I had braised beef whilst my wife had pork medallions. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Get a room in the old part of the hotel. If you park overnight at the front don't forget to put...
2 Thank les t
Dear les t

Thank you for posting a lovely review on trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you had especially enjoyed your dinner and found it good value for money.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Two night stay whilst working in the area. My room was in a newer part of the hotel and was clean. However, the bed was hard as the mattress was thin and the pillows cheap, thin and uncomfortable. Opening window though. A bonus. Some of the plugs were round pin and some square, so I couldn't charge my phone by my bed as the lamps were attached to round pin plugs. Weird! Why? Lovely, contemporary walk in shower. It seems there is a problem with drainage throughout though, as my sink took ages to drain. Colleagues reported the same with sinks and showers. It was reported but not rectified during our stay.

Meals for our party were taken separately from the main restaurant. Breakfast, very disorganised. It was meant to start at 7, but both mornings was not ready until 7.15. The first morning there was no milk on the tables and we had to help ourselves from the buffet. Tea and coffee was slow arriving. Cheap white or brown bread, no speciality bread/rolls. Fruit juice ran out. No brown sauce on day 1, the waitress said she couldn't find any! Goodness!
No fresh fruit, just tinned. Hot food ok. Scrambled eggs, no fried. Food not that hot, which wasn't helped by the cold plates.

Dinner - day 1 meat or vegetarian chilli. Salad ran out. Salsa, sour cream etc was placed at the beginning of the queue. I moved it. No choice. Nice chocolate mousse.
Day 2 chicken or veg curry. Ok for spicy food lovers. Watery, unimaginative fruit salad for sweet. No cream/ice cream.

The old part of the hotel was full of character. Set in a pretty square. Lovely lounge. Friendly, young barman.
Small (inadequate) car park at the back. The receptionist was unhelpful when I arrived as to advice when there may be space to park my car.

The lift was rickety and clunky. I assume it had been maintained, but it certainly sounded unwell!

It was an ok place to stay for work, but I wouldn't stay there for leisure. If the manager reads this, there are lots of missed opportunities to make it better, simply by paying attention to detail.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kim_sunseeker

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, and would like to apologise to you for what sounds like some shortfalls in service and facilities, and that you believed the food offering was limited.

Please rest assured that your comments have been taken on board, and where improvements are needed or can be made then they will of course be addressed, however the buffet style dinner and private breakfast was specifically requested by the booking agent who made the booking on your behalf.

I sincerely hope that you will return and stay with us again, where I am sure if you dine in our Turners Restaurant you will have a completely different experience.

Kindest regards