“Ok. Glad I wasn't paying.”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Two night stay whilst working in the area. My room was in a newer part of the hotel and was clean. However, the bed was hard as the mattress was thin and the pillows cheap, thin and uncomfortable. Opening window though. A bonus. Some of the plugs were round pin and some square, so I couldn't charge my phone by my bed as the lamps were attached to round pin plugs. Weird! Why? Lovely, contemporary walk in shower. It seems there is a problem with drainage throughout though, as my sink took ages to drain. Colleagues reported the same with sinks and showers. It was reported but not rectified during our stay.

Meals for our party were taken separately from the main restaurant. Breakfast, very disorganised. It was meant to start at 7, but both mornings was not ready until 7.15. The first morning there was no milk on the tables and we had to help ourselves from the buffet. Tea and coffee was slow arriving. Cheap white or brown bread, no speciality bread/rolls. Fruit juice ran out. No brown sauce on day 1, the waitress said she couldn't find any! Goodness!
No fresh fruit, just tinned. Hot food ok. Scrambled eggs, no fried. Food not that hot, which wasn't helped by the cold plates.

Dinner - day 1 meat or vegetarian chilli. Salad ran out. Salsa, sour cream etc was placed at the beginning of the queue. I moved it. No choice. Nice chocolate mousse.
Day 2 chicken or veg curry. Ok for spicy food lovers. Watery, unimaginative fruit salad for sweet. No cream/ice cream.

The old part of the hotel was full of character. Set in a pretty square. Lovely lounge. Friendly, young barman.
Small (inadequate) car park at the back. The receptionist was unhelpful when I arrived as to advice when there may be space to park my car.

The lift was rickety and clunky. I assume it had been maintained, but it certainly sounded unwell!

It was an ok place to stay for work, but I wouldn't stay there for leisure. If the manager reads this, there are lots of missed opportunities to make it better, simply by paying attention to detail.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Kim_sunseeker

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, and would like to apologise to you for what sounds like some shortfalls in service and facilities, and that you believed the food offering was limited.

Please rest assured that your comments have been taken on board, and where improvements are needed or can be made then they will of course be addressed, however the buffet style dinner and private breakfast was specifically requested by the booking agent who made the booking on your behalf.

I sincerely hope that you will return and stay with us again, where I am sure if you dine in our Turners Restaurant you will have a completely different experience.

Kindest regards

David Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our party of five had three 'Classic' rooms in the old part of the hotel (having read less enthusiastic reviews about the rooms in the more modern rear annex). We stayed for two nights and enjoyed our stay very much. Our second evening was spentat a nearby family wedding celebration but on the first night we all ate in the restaurant and liked our seafood choices very much - and after deducting the cost of our (reasonably priced) house wine the average cost per person was considered very good value for money - close to the £21 for the basic two-course meal. Prices in the bar were also attractive (especially for us Londoners!) It sometimes took a while to find a bar-man, but we all though that the professionalism and friendliness of the staff in the restaurant, bar and breakfast room were excellent.

Our second floor rooms looked brand new, and although one of us was kept awake for a while by noisy seagulls, others were able to sleep very well with the window open and gusts of cooling air blowing into the room. The bathrooms were spotless and also brand new. My only quibbles are that (a) the hot water in the wash basin was only luke warm and therefore a shave was not quite as pleasurable as usual and (b) the control knob for the two impressive shower heads needed to be handled carefully if one wanted to avoid your hair being drenched by the really big one - and most of the women in the party - having had hair-do's that day - did want to avoid this! (The knob turns one way for the large shower head and the other for the smaller, directional one. Best to stand outside the bath and experiment!)

Altogether, a restful and very pleasant place to stay, with good quality staff and when we next go back for another family gathering down the road I'm sure we'll choose the Duke's Head again.

Room Tip: Go for the old part of the hotel - although I don't know what rooms in the more modern wing are...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear RobfromKensington

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that all aspects of the hotel met with your expectations.

I was especially delighted to read your comments regarding my team, and I will be sure to pass these on to them.

I too hope to see you back when you next visit Kings Lynn.

Kindest regards

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed as part of a team from work. It really annoys me when hotels seem to give a lower service to the corporate booking - do they not think that people at work also travel for leisure? I was greeted in my room by a bag of rubbish from the bathroom. My room wasn't vacuumed in the 3 days. Evening meal for all of us was a bland chilli, and the following night the blandest 'curry' I have ever eaten.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Peter_Dawn01

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry if you felt the housekeeping standards were poor, but I can assure you that we make no difference whatsoever between our corporate guests and leisure guests, in fact a high percentage of our midweek clients are indeed corporate.

The only time your room would not have been vacuumed would have been if you had left your 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door for the whole of your stay, which happens from time to time, however, had you have mentioned this during your stay to myself or my staff we would have resolved this issue immediately.

As for the food, the menu were chosen by the group organiser for all of your evening meals.

Thank you for taking the time to write, and I hope that when you are next in Kings Lynn you will stay with us again.

Best regards

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a long weekend stay in the Dukes Head Hotel,King's Lynn, we were part of a group of 15 persons on an annual mini re-union of ship mates,all off of one of HM Ships we were serving on in 1965/6. The individual who organised the visit " did good "
The hotel is well placed in the town, although the car park is at the rear of the premises and there is no access into the hotel at this point, one may drive into Tuesday Market Square, park within a few metres of the entrance to offload your passengers and luggage then follow the receptionist's directions to the parking area, same routine in reverse applies on departure. Access to the car park is controlled by an automatic barrier for which you will need the code to exit, this code is supplied at reception and apparently is altered daily.
The stay at the hotel was a pleasure, our first contact was Steph. on duty at Reception, and she was typical of the rest of the staff. The following descriptions are not in any order of preference/importance, purely Alphabetical :- clean; helpful; informative; pleasant; smart and smiling.The accommodation was spacious and clean, I think that the room, being a double, could use a second chair. As a group, although all of us being somewhat long in the tooth,we are a boisterous entity and as such had decided to eat in a privately owned Inn, frequented by the man who was the organiser for the weekend, so the only food I qualify to be able to comment on is breakfast. It is a 1st class buffet.I cannot fault the choice, I am not going to list all that was available except to say that one does not often come across the likes of figs in the bowls of preserved fruits, and if you are partial to Black pudding,order it from a member of staff in the breakfast room on entry and it will be cooked and plated up and waiting for you when you when you are ready for the main course. The bar is open for 24 hours daily, free newspapers are on offer, and nothing seems to be too much trouble for any of the staff to be able to react to. All in all, a pleasant experience, one which I would repeat should the occaision arise in the future where i needed to stay in that area of West Norfolk.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Happywanderer543

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of your stay on Trip Advisor, it was a real pleasure to read that you found all aspects of the hotel to very good especially the staff.

I too hope that you will return, and perhaps next time you will dine in our Turners Restaurant where I am sure you will enjoy good food and great service.

My very best regards

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel was ok, but that's the most I can say about it, although I have to say the food in the restaurant on an evening was very nice with very good service. although breakfast was not so good.
The first thing you notice about the hotel is the fact that the car park is round the back of the hotel which would be ok if you could get into the hotel from the back but you have to drag your luggage round the side of the hotel which is quite a walk with heavy luggage, our room was at the side of the hotel which is right next door to a noisy pub, although I must admit it didn't go on to late so not too much of a problem .
The room was ok but again nothing special.
The hotel has got the most wonderful old staircase which at least gave it a bit of character.
The staff were all friendly & helpful but I can't honestly say that I would bother to stay again unless I couldn't get anywhere else in the area, but I wouldn't mind eating in the restaurant

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sue_eddie
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear sue_eddie

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your evening meal and that you found the service to be very good with helpful and friendly staff.

I was, however, sorry to read that the room did not meet with your expectations, and by the sound of it you were occupied in either a cosy or standard room in the new part of the hotel, which are modern and all have a walk in shower.

Perhaps when you return, you could request to stay in a classic or feature room, which are located in the old part of the hotel, where most overlook the historic market square and I am certain you will be happy with these rooms.

Thank you for you review.

Best wishes

General Manager.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have just spent two nights at this gorgeous hotel. Lovely building with loads of character in an excellent location, great food and friendly staff. Who could ask for more? We will certainly be going again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie S

Dear Annie S

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay so much that you are hoping to stay with us again.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night. We booked a double room and received a family room which we didn't want. The room was dirty; dust on surfaces, hair on bedding filled with holes, dirty cups which came with complimentary lipstick marks and blood in the bottom left in the bathroom. A noisy toilet which took over 30 minutes to fill, the noise was horrendous. Outside the room dirty laundry filled the stairwell, the chemical cleaning cupboard left open and the doors were banging all night long. Overall it was a disappointment and ruined our honeymoon away.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle A

Dear Michelle A

I was very surprised to read your poor review of our hotel, and would actually question whether this experience is actually genuine?

If the review is genuine, then I am at a loss as to know when you stayed, which room you were staying in and why you did not report any of the issues mentioned at any time to my team during your stay.

As you can see from past reviews we do not have dirty rooms, nor do we have sub standard laundry and we certainly do not have noisy toilets.

It is always sad to read if guests have had issues during a stay in any hotel, and they choose not to highlight them or give the hotel and its team the opportunity to rectify any problems but instead decide to post a poor review on Trip Advisor.

I am sure that our friends on Trip Advisor will read several other glowing reviews and continue to choose to stay with us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near King's Lynn
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton
The Grange Hotel
The Grange Hotel
#6 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!