“Very nice hotel but with a few shortcomings”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Bucks
“Very nice hotel but with a few shortcomings”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a lovely old building in a very nice location, just off a large square in King's Lynn with some nice old building in the area. It is an upmarket hotel, very nice furnishings, friendly and helpful staff, very good service.
Room was very small, but clean and everything worked. Bed was very small to such an extent that it was a little uncomfortable, but still managed to get my leg over. Well, I guess I might have dreamt it!!
Room was very warm even though it was not particular hot outside, could not get it cool and no air conditioning. This also applied to the breakfast room, which was so hot as to be uncomfortable and made me rush my breakfast.
There is a small car park at the rear of the hotel, a real plus.
There is not a lift in the section we stayed in, could be an issue.
Would we stay here again? Possibly, depending upon the rate and time of year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank woggsy
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear woggsy

Thank you for posting a positive review of our hotel on trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay even though you felt the bed was on the small side.

I am pleased to report that breakfast has now been relocated to our front restaurant which is a lot lighter and cooler, so should be more comfortable in the future.

Whilst there is no lift in the old part of the building, the lift that we have enables you to access the old part by a link corridor on each floor.

I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Kings Lynn.

Best regards

David Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were here for one night only and were just using the hotel as a base but we were impressed at the quality of our double room. Very clean and well appointed room with a good quality bathroom. Without exception all of the staff we met were polite and friendly. We enjoyed a three course meal and wine in the restaurant and were very impressed at the quality of the food and presentation. The hotel is well located for the town and local attractions. There is sparking which was limited due to a wedding but overnight parking in the public square is only £1.00. Hard to fault although a gym would have been nice.

2 Thank P C
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear P C

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It was lovely to read your comments regarding our staff as it is they who make the real difference to our guest enjoyment. It was also lovely to read your comments about the food, as our Head Chef Shane and his team are always creating new dishes and experimenting with local ingredients to make innovative dishes.

I hope you will visit us again soon at the Dukes Head Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting a family wedding. I was arriving early so pre-arranged an early check-in, which was possible because the room was available.

I had a small double room with a comfy bed which was clean and modern. The bathroom was meticulously cleaned - the housekeepers do a very good job here, the toiletries were nice, but the shower pressure could be a bit stronger for my liking (minor point).

The staff throughout the stay, from reception, to the wedding, right the way through to breakfast were professional and helpful.

At the wedding the food was of a good standard. I would have liked a slightly larger variety of beers (eg some IPA's), but I guess it's not a 'traditional bar', and there were other drinks to be had.

Breakfast was excellent - there was a good choice of cooked breakfast items, and cereals - they don't scrimp on quality, and the sausages were very nice.

All in all, I had a very pleasant stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear travellernick121

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us when attending a wedding, and that you found the hotel, its staff and facilities to be of a very high standard.

I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable time.

My very best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed for 2 great nights on a spring break in Kings Lynn. Excellent value which included 2 nights, Bed and Breakfast and 2 evening 3 course meals and a bottle of wine. Also a15 percent discount on the next break.
An ideal location, a ten minute walk from the station and easy walking distance of all attractions. very convienient. A lovely hotel, quick efficient check in. A modern, reasonable size ,clean room,with shower, nice white towels and plenty of tea/ coffee supplies.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast and dinner were excellent .Really good restaurant, food was presented ready well.
One of the reasons we came to Kings Lynn was to see 'SeaHenge' and it was well worth the visit. Several interesting museums to explore.
I can highly recommend this hotel.
Just a few personal problems, I am just under 5 foot, and when sitting at the mirror could not see myself so had to stand to do my hair and make up. Also could not reach coat hangars and if I had been on my own would not have been able to hang up my clothes. The hair dryer is in the bathroom and again I had to stand to dry my hair.
Otherwise an enjoyable long weekend.

'

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear VisitorGG

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be of excellent value and standard.

I have noted your comments regarding the positioning of furnishings and equipment, and I will discuss this with our property department to see what can be done.

I hope that when you visit Kings Lynn again that you will stay with us once more at the Dukes Head Hotel.

Holland-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel is centrally placed on the side of the magnificent Tuesday Market Place and has been completely renovated inside and out. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and we upgraded to an even larger room and bathroom that did not disappoint, reached by a magnificent
stairway. Afternoon tea, dinner ,and breakfast were served very efficiently and pleasantly and reception helpful , Certain allergies were dealt with pleasantly and a minor misunderstanding cleared up, ( my fault) , without fuss. (a nearby nightclub stopped at midnight so no overall sleep problem)

Room Tip: At weekends ask for a quiet room away from the nearby music (although stopped at midnight),
1 Thank tom l
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear tom l

Thank you for posting a lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you were delighted with the refurbishment and the services we provided.

I hope that you will come and visit us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

My very best wishes

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The room was clean. The bed and linen ok. Coffe, tea and biscuits are offered. The towels are quit old. My stay was for work, and in the reception we were asked to pay our stay during the check-in, which is unusual and abnormal. Additionnally, the welcome was cold.
I stayed 3 days, and durind the breakfasts there was always someting missing, sometimes hot food sometimes juce and I had always to ask for coffe; I think the ladies were surpassed by the number of customers.
If there were not these negative points (welcome & breakfast service) I would rate it 4.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SeCh_81
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear SeCh_81

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, and thank you also for choosing our hotel for your stay.

I was sorry to read your comments about your welcome and breakfast, but would like to reassure you that the issues raised will be dealt with by the departmental heads responsible.

I am pleased to announce, though, that a new breakfast standard will be introduced over the next few weeks, and I am sure that if you stay with us again you will have a completely different experience.

Again my sincerest gratitude.

Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

On 6th April 2014, my wife and myself were celebrating 40 years of officially becoming a couple.

We first met in December 1973 when I was working as a 17 year old waiter in the Dukes Head, as she came to stay as a guest with her family. And got engaged in the Dukes Head restaurant which will now always be a very special place for us.

We did visit a few years ago and were both saddened to see the iconic building had fallen into disrepair and inhabited mainly by the homeless. But to see the hotel restored to it's former glory is very heart lifting.

Anyone staying here will most certainly feel very important and the staff are a credit to the building and it's reputation. We are both proud to have an association with the Dukes Head Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Tuesday Market Place. Then you can watch the world go by.
1 Thank Stephen A
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Stephen A

What a lovely romantic story to see on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you and your partner had returned to stay with us after meeting 40 years ago when you worked here as a waiter and your partner was a guest.

I was also delighted to read your comments regarding the current staff as it is they who make the difference to all of our visitors.

Best regards from all of us here at the Dukes Head Hotel.