“Nice stay”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Barton, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Arrived at the hotel car park (at the rear of the hotel) and though o.m.g what have I booked! After walking to the front all fears had gone.The hotel has had a fantastic upgrade.The staff are very helpful and friendly.I didn't drink or eat during the stay so I am unable to comments on the bar or restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the noisy lifts.
1 Thank andy_ela
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear andy_ela

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, and perhaps when you return you can sample our lovely food in the Turners or Gryffens restaurant.

My very best wishes.

David Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Cambourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked the hotel as part of the living social deal and we both really enjoyed our stay. The turner restaurants food was exceptional although the menu had only a small selection of food choices compared to the menu we viewed online. The room itself was really clean and it was a very good size for the two of us. We had room 2 which had a terrible view of the back of the pub next door and on both nights there was very loud music from the pub which went on until about 11pm. No chance of getting any sleep before then! The breakfast in the morning was really nice. Overall I would say that we had an enjoyable stay and the food was brilliant. Only downside was the noise from outside and the view from our window. Will definitely be looking to come back again!

Room Tip: Get as far away from the pub as possible!
2 Thank StuartFordham
Dear StuartFordham

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had come along on a Living Social deal which is exceptional value for money.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding your dinner and breakfast experience, and that you felt the room was of a good size and was clean, however, I was disappointed to read your comments regarding noise from the pub next door for which I would like to personally apologise to you.

I do hope that you will come and see us again soon where I am sure you will enjoy the hotel once more.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a two night break for our 22nd Anniversary. The hotel is quite easy to find (following the directions from the hotel website), which led us straight to the car park at the back of the hotel. We were met in reception by a very friendly member of staff who quickly got us checked in and our weekend of celebrations started shortly after that.

We had dinner in the hotel that night and our table had been decorated with congratulations confetti (at my request). We were also given some complimentary champagne by the management, which was a lovely personal touch. The food was amazing; everything was cooked to perfection – and the portions were quite large. Chef came to our table to ensure that everything was ok with our choices. I have added some photos of our starters (Buffalo Mozzarella and tomato salad and scallops for first course, followed by Duck and Venison for mains). We did have pudding – Crème Brulee and cheesecake, followed by coffee. Our wine choices complimented our food perfectly.

Our room was really very big, and our bathroom was massive. The hotel itself is very quiet and indicative of a good night’s rest.

Breakfast the next day was a full English, buffet style. It is so nice to get proper bacon and not the streaky type so often offered for breakfast. We were able to take time and have a leisurely breakfast each morning, which kept us going all day.

I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone who is considering a short break in Kings Lynn. Everything was perfect from start to finish. Thank you to the Management for making our Anniversary Trip special, and I would add that all staff are a credit to this hotel.. We hope to come back again very soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMaxBelfast
Dear MrsMaxBelfast

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was so pleased to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your wedding anniversary here with us at the Dukes Head.

Your comments are very much appreciated, and I am sure that if you return for your 23rd wedding anniversary you will see further improvements as we constantly change menus using locally sourced ingredients from East Anglia.

My sincerest thanks.

Kindest regards.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel, and what a disappointment. We were shown to rooms that would not even grace a Premier Inn (and Premier Inns are good). The room was basic, the furniture had it's veneer peeling off, no proper storage, just a cubby hole with shelves and hanging space with 4 hangers. No proper space in the bathroom, even the bedside lamps did not match. This is in the new extension and is just about right for a commercial traveler.
I requested a change of room but was informed the hotel was full, and if so at least more clothes hangers. These were brought (a motley array) by the very sympathetic manageress, Amanda, who could see why I was complaining. With great good luck she called us back in half an hour as there had been a cancellation, and we were able to move into the older part of the building to a superior room.
I was traveling with a very prestigious art group from the National Gallery of Ireland, and we were expecting to dine in the Turner restaurant that first evening, but our leader was rudely turned away, as the restaurant manager said they did not have groups. We had full confirmation of our dining arrangements but to no avail. We then had to eat in the Griffin cafeteria style with what I can only describe as motorway food.
Their manners did not improve by our second night's stay and most went out for dinner.
On leaving we were able to have a meeting with the hotel manager and showed our letter of confirmation to dine in the Turner restaurant and it had even been sent with a photograph!
For this we were given a few bottles of unremarkable wine and the price of just ONE room taken off the whole bill.
The management were arrogant to say the least and spoilt a wonderful trip to North Norfolk. As the only English person I was absolutely ashamed of the way this hotel had behaved to people coming in from another country.
The Dukes Head should make up it's mind as to what it wants to be, a a serviceable bog standard 2 star hotel or an upmarket venue with a bit of sensitivity and commonsense in dealing with would be clients - a poor show all round.

Room Tip: Do not go to the new wing unless you are paying rock bottom prices and want a view of the car parks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank 330SandraM
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear 330SandraM

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of you recent experience of our hotel on Trip Advisor, and please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

Whilst I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the room, I was delighted that Amanda was able to resolve this for you and upgrade you to a classic room at the front of the hotel.

As for the dining arrangements, we were informed by the tour operator to supply a buffet dinner for the party on the first night, and that the party would be dining out on the second night, and as it turned out only 4 guests went out for dinner on the second night and the remainder of the party enjoyed their dinner in our Turners restaurant.

I am sorry that I did not meet with you personally during you stay but I was out of the country, and I sincerely hope that you would consider returning to stay with us where I am sure you would experience the hotel differently.

My very best wishes to you.

Nowra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Other reviews indicated that this is the best place in town, they were not wrong !
We stayed for 3 nights. It is in a great central location, The beds comfortable (although my wife prefers a softer one) the staff helpful and attentive without being overbearing, a nice comfortable bar with drinks at a reasonable price. Special mention for a young guy in the bar and lady from Latvia in the restaurant.
The food in the restaurant was first class, probably the best in 5 weeks of travelling around Europe & UK.
If I had to "nit pick" we had 3 in the room but only had 2 towels (had to try hard to find fault) if I return to kings Lynn will stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Toddy1953
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Toddy1953

Thank you very much indeed for posting such a lovely review of our beautiful hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read your comments, especially the ones regarding my staff.

We have worked very hard to make the food, service and ambience of the property the best that we can, and it is a real pleasure to read that our efforts are paying off.

I too hope to welcome you back in the future where I am sure you will continue to enjoy this lovely hotel.

My very best wishes

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel. Ok service from staff. Very nice room with a comfy bed and tv. Would suggest providing fruit tea. Bathroom nice and clean. Shower coild have been more powerful. Breakfast was nice but was pre-cooked and kept hot rather than fresh. Great little bar, very comfy and good wine available. Smashing location right in town. Overall would very much recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank blackandgold186356
Dear blackandgold186356

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was very pleased to read that you had generally enjoyed your stay, and thank you also for suggesting some improvements which I will certainly look in to.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two nights and we loved it! The room was recently refurbished and looked really clean. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was very helpful. Also we would like to recommend dining in the hotel's restaurant as the food is excellent!

1 Thank eputman
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear eputman

Thank you for posting a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay, and especially the restaurant.

I hope that you will come and see you soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay with us.

My very best wishes