Review Highlights
Well looked after National trust hall

Reviewed yesterday
GreggLN
Hockwold cum Wilton, United Kingdom
beautiful, even on a rainy day

Reviewed 1 week ago
Tina H

All reviews priest hole national trust moated house mary queen of scots nt property well worth a visit interesting house second hand bookshop woodland walk room guides stately home nt members family chapel garden tour spiral staircase tea room lovely grounds
Reviewed yesterday

We are not national trust members, but the entry fee was worth it. No extra fee for parking. The staff in all of the rooms were very knowledgeable. The grounds and the house are very clean and looked after. We went on the guided tour of the grounds, and the lady was friendly and helpful.
There is a priest hole, my wife recommends to the ladies to wear trousers if you would like to go into it.

Reviewed 6 days ago

not a place to visit in winter cold proverbly a good place in the summer
or when warm and plants in full flower
we went at easter 2018 cold raining
the price expensive
those in wheelchairs cannot go upstairs
the video they can watch is in a hallway but once again if weather is cold not an ideal place
the stairs up stairs are steep and narrow and onto the roof but the view on a good day can be brilliant
the shop narrow but well stocked
the cafe expensive and once again narrow to get in and out

Reviewed 1 week ago

Oxborough Hall is not far from where I live.. The first day of my holiday i went for a walk around the grounds.. the woods are beautiful at this time of year.. the mixed woods are still and calm, Although the day was rainy and damp the views and atmosphere was lovely. The hall is as lovely as ever, the staff are helpful and fun.. The food in the Cafe is tasty and freshly done.. one of my fav places..

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A place I have always wanted to visit and I was not disappointed. As it was pouring with rain I didn't see all the woods however, the hall itself was great. It is full of history with secret doors, a priest hole and numerous artefacts to look at. It was wonderful to see the actual tapestries that Queen Elizabeth I and Bess of Hardwick had sewn. So intricate and beautiful. It also had some of the loveliest staff I have met at any National Trust place!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have heard of priest's holes but have never seen one never mind going into one...well at this property you get the chance.
The guides are friendly and knowledgeable.
Nice tea room with light lunches.
My dog enjoyed the walks.
A very pleasant place to visit.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have visited Oxburgh Hall many times. It is very unfortunate about the scaffolding but it is necessary. It is going to take millions to restore. One of the dorma windows fell out and went thru the roof finally ending up in the courtyard after blowing a door out. The scaffolding is there to protect the visitors until the work can start in the spring. Apart from a few photo opportunities, the grounds and the inside of the Hall are still as beautiful as ever. All the volunteers and staff were very helpful and friendly. It is a pity it is so far from where we live. My husband and I would love to volunteer there.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited this spot on the weekend having seen something on line about pumpkin carving but when we got there it wasn't on. There was a pumpkin trail to do, finding 6 in the grounds and drawing them however they were quite hard to find! it would have been better if they were a bit more obvious for the kids to find as ours lost interest as she couldn't find them all. The house is well worth a look round, you can go all the way onto the roof. There was also a crafts stall for the kids to make things (Halloween related this time) which was really good, the ladies running it were very helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is not a perfectly presented property - yet. Expect lots of scaffolding and tape warning guests to keep out of certain areas. In spite of this, we had a very interesting and pleasant visit as our eyes were opened to over 500 years of history.

We first walked through the gardens and around the moat on a sunny morning, taking in the peaceful surroundings, before entering the house. As a history enthusiast, the attraction was instant: portraits of monarchs from centuries gone by, embroideries including some created by Mary Queen of Scots, Victorian Gothic interiors, hidden doors to a secret priest's hole, a collection of letters and seals including one written by Henry VIII and another written by Elizabeth I. There is so much to see across the centuries, so many touching human stories to hear about.

Not far from the Hall is the Catholic family chapel. The eye is instantly drawn to the stunning Antwerp triptych and the set of medieval and continental glass panels that let light filter through. I understand from one of the volunteers that the chapel is not part of the National Trust property but it is made accessible to visitors. All the volunteers we spoke to were enthusiastic and very well informed.

We also had a spot of lunch at the café: delicious food, good service, pleasant atmosphere.

Oxburgh Hall is not visually perfect at this moment in time but this is part of its attraction.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was a nice adventure. There is a lot of scaffolding about as the place is being renovated so photos moments are not great from every angle. It was nice to walk around the gardens and moat. The Pet Cemetery was very sweet. The most interesting element for me was the Priest Hole in the hall, which is believed to have been used in the 16th (maybe 17thC) when Catholicism was outlawed in the country. You can actually go inside it and try to imagine a sense of what it would have been like. I have not seen many of these about.

1  Thank Shocum
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited here whilst on a weekend break to Norwich, very interesting , staff very knowledgeable & helpful.