“Rubbish customer service”

Keighley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rubbish customer service”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Recently returned from a trip on Great Britain VII. I wrote to the managing director regarding some issues we had and he couldn't be bothered to reply. Letter passed to operations manager who took over ten days to send a reply which dismissed all the points I had raised.
We had to endure a freezing cold carriage for five days before being moved. The response from staff to complaints about the lack of heating was 'put your coat on'.
At Bristol station we were given incorrect directions to our hotel and along with eight others finally found the hotel in pouring rain. There's nothing like being abandoned in a strange city.
The catering organisation on board the train had a bar tariff with cider in 500ml cans. The cans contained 440ml. When this was pointed out to the stewards, they said it would be passed on but nothing happened.
The couldn't care less attitude demonstrated by RTC management has firmly convinced us that we will not be taken for a ride by this company again.

Visited April 2014
6 Thank GRAEME V

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“the west somerset explorer”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

we travelled from Bridgnorth to Minehead on a steam train and diesel for people who love
steam trains it was a great day out the tour guides were excellent. if this tour is available next
year we will go again.

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I booked onto the Royal Duchy tour for 15th June from Bristol as a present for my Dad on Father's Day. A month after booking I received a short letter to say the trip has been cancelled with a list of other dates available. I emailed the company to express my disappointment over this as we'd already booked coach tickets, accommodation etc. I managed to cancel most arrangements without charge but the coach required a £15 transferral fee so I asked if the train company could pay this so we could then book onto the tour in July, not much to ask really. I got a short response back to say my email had been passed to the Operations Manager. After a few days I still hadn't had a response so I telephoned the office, I was told abruptly that the Ops Manager would "hopefully" respond that day. This did not happen. I have now asked for a full refund for the tour after reading some other terrible Trip Advisor reviews, I only wish i had read these first, the customer service really does leave a lot to be desired. I am still waiting for a response for what should have been a quick and simple resolution.

13 Thank ss483
Birmingham
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful views but”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife booked the trip as a Christmas present for a journey in February. I spent my youth train-spotting when Steam was still the norm. So a trip on the Carlisle Settle Railway with steam engine and Pullman coaches was the best present I could possibly receive. We boarded the train at Nuneaton with a diesel unit. The coach was bitterly cold. A member of the train crew told us that there was a problem with the heating and we wouldn't be able to have any heat until we changed to a Steam Engine which was several hours later. Due to the lack of heating it was very unpleasant journey. After changing to Steam the heating came on and the journey became much better, and if the journey continued in the same vein for the journey home my review would be quite different. The return journey afforded wonderful views from the window and we settled down for the trip back to Nuneaton, unfortunately there was a problem with both of toilets in our carriage one leaked into the corridor and was then shut, the second toilet did not work. What could have been a wonderful day turned out to be very disappointing. My wife contacted the Railway Touring Company and was told that they would pass our concerns and complaints to their superior and they would respond accordingly . We did not receive any response from the RTC despite my wife sending further E mails we did not receive any response. I tried too and was told it would be passed on to the manager and they would contact me. Unfortunately there has been no response. It is such a shame they have the potential to have an excellent product that should delight their customers but they have made a complete Pigs Ear of it. I won't use them again unless we receive a written apology, but based on the lack of correspondence I won't hold my breath.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Robho
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Hadrian, With steam locomotive 60009 Union Of South Africa.”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

A last minute booking but great decision. From start to finish a most memorable day out. The atmosphere amongst the fellow travelers was electrifying. A great buzz, and for me my first trip on a steam train in years. I travelled with my sister and niece, a ladies day, and we were treated as such. We chose premier dining and it certainly was. The food was top class, what should be hot was piping hot, the staff friendly, courteous and obliging. The cotton tablecloths and napkins brilliant white and the cutlery shining!! We could have been seated in any top restaurant. Although there were some very sharp showers along the way we enjoyed all the outdoor scenery from our comfy armchairs. All in all a wonderful experience, we will be planning another one.

3 Thank Christineann18
RTCUK1, Manager at The Railway Touring Company, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Customer

Thank you for your comments following your journey with us on The Hadrian on 10th May. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and hope to welcome you on board again in the near future.

Kind Regards