“Lovely food but sack the cleaner!”

The Winch Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 188 Restaurants in King's Lynn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
East Anglia
“Lovely food but sack the cleaner!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Like mny of the other reviewers I had heard of the Winch's previous poor reputation and despite living just down the road I have only been once in the three years I have lived here.

We decided to go for lunch on Easter Sunday and see what the fuss was about.
There was a very efficient waitress/maitre de who seemed to be doing everything! Despite this she was polite and attentive. Can not really fault the service.

We had a carvery. Again very friendly chef who gave us generous portions of meat. I have to say all three meats were cooked very well - even the turkey which can be difficult to get right. The roast potatoes and yorkshires were all homemade and the vegetables were good too.

The decor could do with updating but there is nothing to heinous. My only complaint, which I trust was correctly reported by my other half, is that the Gents toilets are rather crummy and yucky with a leaking toilet. I was once told that the cleanliness of the toilets in a restaurant reflects the general standard of cleanliness. I do hope this is not the case fot the Winch. Indeed my lad's high chair had very dirty straps and a piece of very conjealed, left over meat on the seat.

Can't give five stars because of the cleaning issues. Despite this the food was lovely and I have not been sick yet so four stars it is!

1 Thank V-Unit

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long may it continue!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We thought we would give this a try last night with family. We have avoided the place in the past due to the bad reports, but read the reviews on here and had also heard from other friends that the carvery was very good. Being a Friday night we ate from the standard menu. We booked but it was not busy. Great welcome, clean and warm. The menu choice suited all tastes and the food was superb. Proper meals, not a ding of a microwave to be heard! We will definatly go back and would encourage others to do the same.
John and Maryanne are delightful hosts and I am sure that their experience of running a previous establishment will mean that they will have the right attitude to making The Winch a success once more. It would be nice to visit when the place is busy to see if the same standards are maintained.

1 Thank SJD63
“Great food n friendly staff”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went there today as was looking for somewhere To enjoy a carvery as I have not been there for a while I didn't know what to expect.

We had booked a table luckily as it got busyer but I can say it was the best carvery we had in ages.we took someone wiv us that didn't like roast potatoes n they was happy to go n make her some mash compliments to the chef.the puddings where amazing the sticky toffee pudding was massive n the choc brownie was heaven.
All I can say is well done to all the staff that have turned this place around.don't let reviews put u of try it yourself I dint think u b disappointed gd value for money

1 Thank hails24
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had last visited The Winch several years ago, and my memory was of a carvery that served food that I wouldn't even be comfortable feeding my dog. However as our usual place was suffering a power cut and traffic in main stream Lynn was bad, we decided to try The Winch in desperation, as we were so hungry by that point.

The weather wasn't very nice that day, it was strange we were the only people eating, though in fairness maybe it was a little later than the lunch time rush.
The bar man was polite enough, although not overly welcoming, but the beer and fizzy drinks were flat.
The food arrived in a timely manner, but the lasagne contained barely any meat and mostly cheese. Very greasy and stodgy. The obviously home made chips were very large and we were worried we'd encounter a crunchy one at any point. Again, very greasy.
There was a side portion of salad leaves, blatantly from a packet, and no dressing.
We didn't stay for a dessert as were on the verge of gagging by this point.

Whereas The Winch isn't the worse place we've dined at, I fail to see how it has made the top 3 best restaurants in King's Lynn. It is baffling. I am worried about trying other places in the area if this is 'one of the best', as I cook far far better meals at home, and I'd rather get a McDonalds than eat out here again and save the extra £'s.

The Lattice House in Lynn town was better last time we went, not as good as it was many moons ago when I lived in Norfolk, but cheaper with a better atmosphere and the drinks weren't flat. Also the staff were friendlier and more welcoming.

I don't like leaving negative reviews, but in all honesty I was very very disappointed in our meal and we will definitely not be returning. I am shocked that others have enjoyed the food. If you like greasy tasting stuff then you probably would enjoy it, but if you want a good quality meal for your money then spend the extra and cover the extra few miles and go to Arbuckles!!

norfolk
“Fab food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just been on our first visit to The Winch and we were really impressed. The carvery is fantastic value for money and the food was superb. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome. Keep up the good work.