“A most bizarre experience”
Review of Deer's Leap

Deer's Leap
Ranked #86 of 201 Restaurants in King's Lynn
Cuisines: British, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I arrived at 7:30 and seemed to startle the waitress by asking for a table in the restaurant. I was asked if I wanted a drink and having paced my order was directed to the table I was standing by. She brought my drink and then said she would take an order from another table and then bring me a menu - perhaps they only had one menu?

After 10 minutes I asked a passing waitress if I could place an order at which point the young barman intervened to say that there was a delay in taking the orders as they only had one chef working. I suggested that this was bizarre and he went on to explain that if they took my order there would seem to be a long delay before I got my food, whereas if they delayed taking my order the delay would not be as long! Again I suggested this concept was bizarre as the accumulated delay would be the same. He became frustrated in trying to explain his concept and ended with the comment that there were two other tables ahead of me waiting to order.

5 minutes later he took my order in a most curt manner - the concept of customer service having passed him by.

My starter (the black pudding tower with potatoes and topped by a poached egg) arrived 10 minutes later and was very good.

My main course of 'posh fish and chips' arrived 25 minutes later - not a ridiculous wait - it was a medium sized piece of cod loin that was meant to be in lemon peppered batter, but I think the pepper was missing. The 'hand cut chunky chips' were of the twice (or was it thrice) fried variety and suffered as a result. The mushy peas were nice.

Desert was ordered at 8:30 and was the house sundae. It arrived some 15 minutes later altogether underwhelming.

Three redeeming features of an average experience, the two charming waitresses and the 50% Tastecard discount.

I think I have deduced the reluctance to take the order - there were times on the bill and I guess they may be monitoring the time from order to service and so delaying taking the order would reflect favourably on these times.

2  Thank Hawkeyeview

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Well what can I say other than visiting the Deer's Leap (originally known as the New Inn) was unfortunately not a good experience. We visited on the spur of the moment for lunch and went away hungry because we were unable to eat all the food. We picked food from the bar menu and perhaps on reflection should have gone into the Restaurant. I was not impressed with the service either as it was not welcoming or helpful. The scampi portion were six per plate, some of the peas were ok but a few mixed in were not and the chips were dreadful. The chips tasted as if they had been cooked earlier and a poor attempt at reheating them. I have looked at some of the reviews and wish I could say I had a good experience but I did not.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went for a meal in the restaurant with some friends for a reunion, the food was as it said on the menu 5 star, so was the service. But had live music in the bar, but was so loud that we had a good to hear what we was talking about in the restaurant !!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I discovered this pub/restaurant over a year ago thanks to Groupon. From the outside it wasn't the sort of place I would have thought of going into but inside, the decor and atmosphere is lovely, tasteful, inviting and very relaxing. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the menu offers a good choice at a reasonable price but above all, the food is excellent. We have now eaten here several times, the Deers Leap has become a firm favourite and it was Mum's choice of where to celebrate her 80th birthday. We had a lovely time, everyone really enjoyed their meal and as usual, the service was great. I highly recommend this place to anyone considering a visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I visited as i stayed at The Knights Hill Hotel and needed someehere to eat the front is very appealing. The staff are brillant, the choice is huge and the food is just divine! Would love to go back if it wasnt 3 Hours away!