“Afternoon tea for two”

Piece of Cake
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Coltishall
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea for two”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My daughter purchased us a voucher for a present, and we weren't disappointed. The old Salvation Army building has been dragged into the 20th century with a light and airy feel, but still with the old barn beams. The staff were polite and nothing was too much trouble. We pre-ordered our choice of sandwiches a few days in advance and they came in delicious little squares - most tasty. The pots of earl grey tea were filled on request and the home made cakes were simply delicious. I can highly recommend this to anyone. Although the restaurant is still unfinished, you can see that although this is a great place to eat, when completed it will be fabulous. This place is great for couples, family, friends and business clients. Will definitely be returning.

• Visited June 2014

Stalham, England, United Kingdom
“New Location”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

A Piece of Cake has moved across the road to a new location and with car park... the one thing that put me off visiting on many occasion. Lovely new, bright, modern and clean but very welcoming premises. Staff as lovely as ever and the food......... absolutely superb. A place not to be missed.

• Visited May 2014
“Definitely a place to visit ”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Have been visiting for the last two years on a weekly basis. I usually have the chocolate sponge and a coffee. Sometimes I have the lemon & sultana cake. The quality is always good and never varies. I have occasionally visited for lunch and there is always a good selection. Since moving to the new premises the choice is greater. It doesn't feel as homely as the old premises though. This could be because the builders are still working on the conversion. A few pieces of artwork could help to make it feel homely as a bit bare at the moment. Service from Liz and Julie and their assistants is always with a smile and you are made to feel welcome.

Norwich, England
“Didn't quite hit the spot, but not bad.”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I are trying out a number of local Coffee houses. This one was quite high up on our list to try.

From the outside the place looks tiny, We were unaware that there is more space upstairs. There was some outdoor seating, but it was a little chilly for that!
The site is a short walk from the river and other shops and services.
The welcome was lovely, very friendly staff, very attentive. The downstairs was cramped, but the upstairs was nice and spacious.

We ordered two coffees, a bap and a slice of cake. The menu said that the owners use locally sourced produce where possible, and home made cakes looked to be the order of the day, which is great. But I was confused by some of the pricing. A sausage and egg bap was cheaper than a bacon one. The sausage was of decent quality so I'm not sure why the bacon costs so much.

One of my pet hates is out of date leaflets and adverts. And upstairs there was an out of date "Tea and Tarot" event being advertised. Now I'm not a fan of tarot reading, but that doesn't affect my rating, the fact that the event had passed a couple of weeks ago, confused me.

The main concern I had, was that the coffee was quite expensive (and not locally sourced, which I know is easily done as there are two local coffee roasters not far away.) But also the coffee was cold. I'm not a fan of Latte coffee being sold in glasses, it cools down too quickly and serves no purpose other than for show.

This place is not a bad place at all, just didn't quite hit the spot, I might try again some time to see what changes they out in place for the busy summer season.

• Visited February 2014
Norwich
“Best cake around...”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Having visited 'Piece of cake' on numerous occasions and enjoying every time, I felt it was worthy of my first trip advisor review.

The staff, including the very kind and friendly Liz and Julie, are great and very welcoming.

I prefer to sit upstairs. I love it's cosiness, but am also looking forward to visiting their new premises across the road. The local art, which is for sale, add to the relaxing atmosphere.

The food...have never found fault! My personal favourite is the Brie and Bacon panini (seeded panini). It is served with a fresh salad and homemade coleslaw. My mum likes the cheese scones. Then there's the cake...all fresh and yummy. The Victoria sponge and Lemon and Sultana are my choices. Everything has always been fresh and homemade.

Have been with my boyfriend (he likes the bacon and sausage sandwiches on a Sunday), my mum and dad for lunch, cake with friends and with children of differing ages. All have been very welcomed.

Take away also available. Perfect for those on the broads (or those that live near by!)

Thank you Liz, Julie and staff, we look forward to seeing the new premises.

Fiona and Shirley