All reviews national trust swimming pool afternoon tea stately home family hotel high tea games room sandwiches changing rooms spa treatments the main hotel nt property lovely pool families with young children grand tour bike ride half term
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Lovely setting, afternoon tea very good Only letdown was a bottle of Prosecco was £40!
When i looked on hotel website Prosecco was £36
Just a bit Pricey for a bottle which probably coat a Tenner at the most!

• Stayed: October 2018, traveled with friends
James W, Director of Sales at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your kind comments and I will pass your satisfaction onto the Chef.
I will double check the price of the Prosecco and be in touch if I believe a refund is owed, we would of course never knowingly overcharge and I'm sorry if an error has been made on this occasion. We do also offer a Sparkling Afternoon Tea for only £5 more (£26.50) than the standard one and this comes with a glass of prosecco each.

Our Chef George has re-designed the Afternoon Tea menu and we will be launching the new menu soon... so please do come back and try this great new offering in the future! :-)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed in the hotel, we got a good deal which represented excellent value. We went around Ickworth hall which is included in the price and the grounds are stunning with fabulous walks and the opportunity to hire bikes. I wouldn't describe the hotel as luxurious the decoration is a bit tired. It is modern and white which is a bit boring for such a beautiful building, Unfortunately it means every scuff shows up. Our bathroom had a leak under the sink and one of the bedside lamps wasn't working. The pool was really warm although the the changing rooms although charming could have done with a proper clean the filter in the shower was filthy (hadn't been cleaned for months). The whole hotel had a feel of needing a fresh lick of paint, it certainly didn't feel luxurious. The food was good, especially breakfast and the afternoon tea was enormous and delicious. The staff were charming although not particularly attentive. We got a special deal on the room so was content with what we got, however if I was paying full price I might have felt differently.

• Stayed: October 2018, traveled as a couple

So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and got a good deal which always nice! ;-)
I will pass your feedback on to the relevant departments such as kitchen and maintenance. I'm sorry that you thought some of the hotel required decorating and I will talk to our General Manager about this.
We hope to welcome you back to The Ickworth again in the future!

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Poor service and poor value for money. For £250 per night I do not expect a self service buffet breakfast in a corridor! No fresh eggs, bacon etc. Room was an acceptable size but the en suite was inferior - the loo hardly flushed and the shower was over the bath. Expect more for the money.

Stayed: October 2018, traveled with friends
James W, Director of Sales at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

We are sorry to hear that you feel the hotel did not offer you value for money. We try to keep the days we run our buffet breakfast to a minimum and do offer table service throughout the week. In the interest of maintaining good service for our guests, we do run the buffet breakfast at weekends and busy school holiday periods to ensure a quick and smooth service for our customers. As a family hotel we have found that most families actually prefer a buffet and the feedback to us on the whole is that they prefer this type of arrangement. There are many four and five star properties that have adopted this style of breakfast as it does offer clear advantages during busy periods. The quality of the food should still be maintained throughout service so if this wasn't the case on this occasion then I sincerely apologise.
I shall pass your comments on to our maintenance team in regards to your room issues and ensure the toilet is fixed. Our maintenance team will be conducting a full audit of all our bedrooms over the coming weeks too, so hopefully this will pick up any other issues across the board similar to yours.

Reviewed October 1, 2018

We booked to stay at the Ickworth with Pets Pyjamas as we wanted to go away for a night and take both our dogs - Polly the Lurcher and Barney the Golden Doodle.
We arrived early and despite being busy we were quickly seen and checked in and given our key and directions to our room in the lodge. I won't repeat what my fiance said when he opened the door to our room, but it was enough for me to be surprised. We were in a stunning room which was huge and really beautiful with a very large bow bay window. It also had a great lobby between the bedroom and bathroom which gave us even more room to be able to store dog food and bowls etc. But best of all though the central sash window opened straight onto the lovely lawned garden, so of course we went straight outside with both the dogs. When we came back in, we could see the squirrels and rabbits out there too.
Set in 1800 acres of beautiful parkland this hotel was child and dog friendly and they couldn't have been more helpful or lovely, added to which the room was so lovely we didn't want to leave.
We had booked to have dinner bed and breakfast and the food was interesting and on the whole excellent. In addition the experience of booking with Pets Pyjamas was fun and efficient, they really knew the properties on their books, and gave us brilliant advice and service and it was lovely to get the postcards and package for the dogs when we arrived in our room. All in all an experience I would definitely recommend and repeat.

Room Tip: Ludwig in the Lodge is amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie39
James W, Director of Sales at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2018

Thanks so much for your fantastic feedback; I will ensure it is all passed onto the team!
It's lovely to see that you enjoyed your stay and the beautiful parkland around the hotel. We absolutely adore dogs here at the hotel and always love to see them, I hope that they got to meet our hotel doggy 'Peaches' too!?

Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in the lodge. Easily less than a 15 minute walk to the hotel, ideal to build up an appetite and walk off the excess later. Staff remarkably friendly and helpful.

Comedy at Saturday breakfast. Staff confused about their own table numbering. Chef went awol during the cooking phase, waited an hour for a traditional english breakfast, but had been warned of the wait by staff. Very honest reasons given, with the blame put squarely on the chef! Wrong drinks to wrong tables, waiting staff getting increasingly frustrated. Expected Basil Fawlty to appear and shout "WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, A HOTEL?". This may sound like a nightmare, but the way Wendy handled things made it actually quite amusing and enjoyable. We were compensated with a complimentary cream tea.

The room had no cups, when we called reception to request some "Manuel" bought 2 mugs which would have been more at home on a building site...added to the humour....

Dinner on the second night...all went smoothly, but i was somewhat surprised that the waiter didn't know what the soup of the day was. Food was excellent but a somewhat limited choice. Rib eye steak was sold out by 8pm...sack the stock controller...

All in all, despite the comedy moments we had a wonderful time. The attitude of the staff more than made up for the Fawlty Towers moments!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nobby0366
James W, Director of Sales at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the issues encountered on Saturday!
I apologise about the issues with Saturday breakfast service and I was made aware of it this morning. I believe that we were short staffed and had a new agency chef in that morning who had not done a breakfast service before. The Head Chef is aware of the situation and will ensure this doesn't happen again. I'm glad that Wendy dealt with the situation well and I will pass your comments onto her; its vital that when issues do arise that they are handled correctly.
Its such a shame that you couldn't have the steak you wanted at dinner, we happened to be really busy that night (fully booked) and we did indeed sell out of that menu option.

We hope you come back and visit us again soon!