“recent stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
London, United Kingdom
“recent stay”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

we stayed at the Ickworth on the Sunday night stay and dine offer. We don't often stay at nice hotels so I may be easily pleased, but we had a lovely time! so great to stay in a stately home and everyone was so helpful. The room was great and had a fabulous bathroom. The pool was warm and the provision of armbands was really useful. the only problem was there weren't many changing rooms. We borrowed bikes and cycled through all the lambs on the estate-the bikes were in great condition and a good range for the kids to choose from. As others say, I wouldn't go if you don't have children as at mealtimes etc it was certainly noisy. loved the kids bathrobes! am just gutted that we'll probably never be able to afford to stay here again as our oldest starts school in September and so we won't be able to do this offer again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear HelenH, Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are always putting offers out at various times of the year and as you will now be on our database, we will be writing to you in advance with these offers, I sincerely hope you will find one that you will be able to take. Again thanks and I hope to see you again soon.
Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our recent stay at The Ickworth was our third - but our least special so far.

The service standards seem to have slipped a bit.

There are still some great staff, our room was great and, overall, we still enjoyed our short stay. But it seems to have started to rest on its laurels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback , I am disappointed that you feel we are starting to rest on our laurels, be assured this is not the case, we are constantly training new staff and at times their rawness is an issue, which I believe may have given you the impression of slipped standards. We continue to work and improve the Ickworth and I thank you for the timely reminder.
Newmarket, Suffolk
Reviewed March 19, 2014

All the other reviews about the child-friendly nature of this hotel are completely accurate. Unfortunately though the hotel's website does not ably convey that this means if you are thinking of a spa day or stay and aren't ok with children everywhere then this just isn't the location for you. It is a wonderful, wonderful venue and the grounds and activities are great, but my husband and I were bought an Overnight Spa Break as a Christmas present and sadly it just wasn't for us.

I also concur with another reviewer's point about the staff not really knowing what's what. At times they just seemed confused. At pre-dinner drinks they were bickering amongst themselves as to who should be doing drinks orders whilst we waited and waited to order ours.

The Spa treatments themselves were great though but it's unfortunate that the Spa is also located next door to the crèche and children's cinema, so you can hear tantrums whilst you're meant to be completely relaxing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank agoodwin00
Thank you for your comments, as you state we are a very child friendly hotel and nearly 50% of all who stay are children. I am very sorry that there was some confusion as to who was to serve your drinks in the drawing room, this is unacceptable and for this I apologise. The location of the spa is on the lower ground floor relatively close to the crèche, this is normally not an issue but we do try to control any excessive noise from there. Again I appreciate your feedback
Yours sincererely
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic stay and excellent food. Staff are curious and polite, a special mention must go to Amy, Isabel and Drew!

Points to note is that you should order food and drinks well before you become hungry or thirsty, anticipate a wait!! Also note there is no bar which adds to the waiting time. This is a very minor point, overall experience was great, thanks to all!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Lordnorfolk
Dear Lordnorfolk, Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry that there was a delay in obtaining drinks in the drawing room, we do ensure that there is someone there at all times, however this does not always occur and for this my apologies. We look forward to your return soon.
yours sincerely
London, UK
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were not disappointed by our second stay at this wonderful family friendly hotel.

It suits our needs perfectly - it's relaxed, understated and friendly yet still feels luxurious and special.

Our toddler loves it and was very sad to leave. The pool, the cycles, the grounds, the food, the crèche and most importantly the little extras from the staff (on this visit I must mention Ines who went out of her way to be great!) make it an ideal place to take a break with young children - but still feel like it is a break!

I had a good spa treatment, the food is consistently good and the hotel is generally well maintained. There is an element of shabby chic / quirkiness but I don't believe this hotel professes to be an uber fancy, formal, 5 star establishment and this is reflected in the excellent value it offers.

We can't wait to visit again and hope to do so in summer when we can further enjoy the wonderful grounds (although the daffodils right now are gorgeous!)

• Stayed March 2014
Dear travellerfromLondon, thank you for your response and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for a third stay soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We've just returned from a long weekend at the Ickworth Hotel and I can't rate it highly enough.

Everything has been provided to make the stay as easy and enjoyable as possible. There are strategically placed chests of book and toys dotted about for everyone to dip into, you can borrow bikes as and when you wish, with helmets supplied for little ones, and we couldn't get my daughter out of the pool. All this with absolutely stunning grounds, beautiful rooms and great food.

My favourite thing however is perhaps the insight into parents psyche that has the children's menu at high tea printed on one side with food choices for the kids and on the other - the wine and beer list for Mum and Dad. Fabulous!

I'd recommend it to anyone with young children, in fact we loved it so much we've booked to go back in three weeks time!

Room Tip: We booked into the two bedroom apartment in the Lodge - great to have some space after the kids have...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Belle M , Thank you for your very kind comments of your stay . I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed the High Tea additions with your children, we know how a glass of wine at the end of the day can be very helpful. We look forward to seeing you again
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Here for a family weekend away and sat in the breathtaking Drawing Room writing this review.

Overall I would say it is just an amazing place and the facilities are outstanding. The service is at times excellent and at other times a bit too laid back. But it wouldn't stop me coming back.

Overall a great place to waste some time in beautiful surroundings. Our room was great too. We had De Walden and had a family of four in there. Plenty of room.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Teakayke
Dear Teakayke, Thank you for your comments, I am very sorry that the service was at time inconsistent, however I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will return. The service element is a constant that we work on and I have noted these comments.
Many thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#2 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!