“** Excellent family get away”
Review of The Ickworth Hotel

The Ickworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
Reviewed June 11, 2013

From the moment you arrive The Ickworth is set to impress. Beautiful parkland surroundings and wonderful buildings. We stayed in the Lodge previously the Dower House. Though this is 800m away from the main house, we saw that as an advantage as we had all the benefits of the luxury surrounding but in an even more secluded setting and a cheaper rate to boot. Our room (Ludwig's) was fantastic opening directly onto the lawns. On the weekends breakfast is served in the Lodge and it was great, the kids can go play outside whilst you finish your grown up breakfast (assuming they let you :-)). The facilities are great, lovely swimming pool, bicycle and kids pay areas. The NT house and gardens are also very impressive and free to guests. We made use of the free session in the Four bears creche to have our grown up time, the staff were very friendly and great with the kids. The creche staff organise a kids high tea, which is recommended not least becasue grown ups are served drinks froim the bar at the same time. Both restuarants serve high quality food and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Previous reviews made comment on the inexperienced waiting staff, though this is true, it did not detract from the quality of our stay. If you're looking for an escape with young children then the Ickworth comes highly recommended, reassuringly expensive, but you get what you pay for,

Room Tip: Ludwigs room is probably the best in the lodge, large bay fronted window opens directly onto the law...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time in the Lodge at Ickworth and the main house. I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the forseeable future.
Thank you.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I went to Ickworth hotel for afternoon tea as part of a group on a recent weekend. This had been pre booked. The hotel and grounds are very attractive, and we had a nice walk before we had our tea. We were seated in the conservatory, which was lovely, though very hot - but it was a rare sunny day. Things then began to go downhill. We were brought our drinks, followed some time later by one tray of afternoon tea. We were trying to work out if this was all we were to expect. Our waiter seemed unsure, but decided probably not, so we waited. And waited. Eventually, we decided that the scones would be going cold, so some people should start eating. Around 20 minutes later, the next 2 trays of afternoon tea arrived. The scones seemed as if they had been microwaved (they were warm, but going slightly hard on the inside). Otherwise, most of the food was ok, and the meringues (which our waiter seemed confused by) were delicious. However, receiving 2/3 of our tea so long after the rest of it cast a pall over the experience. We also received and paid for more teas than we had ordered - the waiter really seemed to be struggling. We did not want to complain, as we were the for a special occasion, but it was a disappointment, especially given the price. Although the food was largely ok, I could not recommend this place to anyone. I certainly wouldn't return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Katharine W

I thank you for your feedback with regard to the afternoon tea that was served to you and your group, we offer both a full afternoon tea and also a Suffolk Cream Tea which is scones and , jam and cream, regrettably the booking was for suffolk cream tea and this had to be re-organised. I am very sorry that you had such an experience, we make every effort to ensure that all of the requests of our guests are properly handled, in this case it was not and as a result the service suffered. My sincere apologies to you and your group.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at The Ickworth hotel and again had a fantastic time. It is pricey, but it is worth every penny. Excellent staff, fantastic food and amazing surroundings. We spent three days cycling around the estate, walking and swimming. A perfect family getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your very kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We just arrived back from a 2-day stay at this fantastic gem. This place is marketed to parents with kids who don't mind spending a bit more to enjoy a fancy couples-style break and family break in one. I was skeptical,but the wife booked it and rolled the dice. The staff are not stuffy but not overly familiar. The hotel itself is laid out perfectly; lifts, daycare, spa, baby-monitoring, pool, fairy garden... Everything was tasteful, clean and better than expected. Even the handy-man was a charmer. To be fair, the kitchen was hit-and-miss, but really good meals were the norm. So with a North American service expectation to live up to, and facing the challenge of dissipating London-living stress in less than 48 hours, these folks excelled. We will definitely be coming back, and will definitely stay longer next time.Thank You!

Room Tip: Hard to imagine a bad room in this restored mansion. Ours was faultless.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, we are all pleased that you managed to relax and that we were able to meet your requirements in every way. return again soon.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Lovely situation connected to a National Trust treasure and with acres to walk or cycle . Family friendly , wellies , teddy bears even Beano's to read in the lounge. Staff do try hard and were consistently friendly and attentive ( if a little inexperienced ....but thats's ok) . Decent restaurant , lovely bedrooms , quirky furniture which has some deco and retro gems . Quiet , off the beaten track , different . If you want peace , tranquility and something not commoditised , try this place.

Also the nearby Ickworth Church currently being brilliantly restored with National Lottery money is a 3 minute stroll away across pastures with sheep and lambs (May) , beyond which there is walled garden and a lake with cute ducks. Kids will love this.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ahomer1

Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, as you state kids will love this, which as i am writing this some 57 are staying in the property. Thanks and please return soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

To celebrate my sister's birthday I decided to book afternoon tea for her with my mum, my son and myself. This was a mistake!

Firstly I arrived with a buggy and had great difficulty 'bumping' it up the 10 or so entrance steps after being told there was no slope (strange I thought for a family hotel) although I was later told a ramp was at the back! We entered the completely empty conservatory and rather than the three members of staff greeting and seating us, we had to approach them checking where to sit and to be served etc.

The tablecloth, my serviette and the chairs were dirty as was the floor. The knives were smeared and had fingerprints. Not a good start and such a shame as the conservatory was very pretty and nicely laid out with a lovely view.

I asked for a bottle of water which arrived warm. I was expecting it to be chilled but can accept this may be a personal preference. When the food arrived it looked quite attractive however my first bite into a cheese and chutney sandwich felt gritty, just like chewing sand. I decided to try a cucumber sandwich and there was pink staining on the bread?? I gave up on sandwiches and moved on to a scone which had a soggy base. There was water on the metal tray which I assume was condensation from the warm scones which is again a shame as I think these looked and I'm sure would've tasted nice however the soggy base was off putting. I gave up on the food at this point and didn't eat anything at all.

The conservatory had no other guests and although I appreciate it was a weekday afternoon, it lacked any atmosphere and felt awkward. After around half an hour we just wanted to leave. We complained to the waitresses as between the four of us hardly any food had been consumed. The three members of staff were lovely, very friendly and clearly wanting to help however they seemed a bit lost on what to say or how to deal with our problem. I feel further training is required in this area. It took some time to get to speak to the General Manager who agreed there would be no charge which was a reasonable gesture.

I feel this bad experience ruined a special birthday celebration on the actual day which we can't get back. I am not on here to complain, the only reason I am writing this review is because I want others to be warned as the hotel, food and the atmosphere made us want to leave! The grounds are of course very nice but not the dramatic arrival I was expecting and if you are looking for a luxury treat this is definitely not the place.

There was no charge so I thank the hotel for recognising the issues and offering this however our visit was wasted and not enjoyable. Sadly I would tell others to avoid.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jenash0219

I remember speaking to your mother I believe immediately before you left the property. Further I did taste all the items that you complained about with the following comments.
The Cheese and pickle sandwich is made with a variety of cheddar cheese that does have a crystalisation within it and thus with the crunchiness of the pickle can give the effect of being crunchy rather than gritty. The other sandwich had been in contact with the meringue that had a strawberry conserve on it. With regard to the scone, these were fresh from the oven and when placed on the three tier display plate which is made from polished metal create a level of condensation. When I tasted the scone I found it still warm and very moist and fresh.
You were the only people in the Conservatory at that time and I can understand that that might make you feel a little self concious. I am sorry that you found the sense of arrival so disappointing, we are aGrade 1 listed building and are not allowed to tamper with the steps to the building as a result of protection orders. We do have a disabled ramp to the side of the building to allow for easy entry. Finally the staff were a bit non plussed by your concerns with the Afternoon Tea , they serve some 200 a week and were very surprised at your comments, I allowed this tea as patently you had not received what yoiu perceived you wished to buy from The Ickworth.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a lovely weekend away at The Dower House Apartment.
Breakfast very good lots of choice, easy going buffet. Staff friendly and helpful
Room was huge with lovely period furniture.
Good clean bathroom lots of towels & gowns
A definite return for us :-)

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you I am delighted that you enjoyed the Dower House, now renamed The Lodge at Ickworth from the 1st May as a result of our refurbishing all the areas and also as a testament to the original name of the building. We look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
3 mi away
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St. Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!